* Re: Profiling with GPROF considered buggy?
@ 2001-08-28  0:28 Carsten Thorenz
From: Carsten Thorenz @ 2001-08-28  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Tim!

> I thought that most linux implementations had the same timer resolution as
> Win2K installations.  I don't know that anyone has considered the
implications of gprof on WIn9x.

Linux seems to use 10ms as a standard, the same as WinNT4 (which I'm using)
but it
can be changed to higher resolutions.

Anyhow, it seems as if this is not only a problem with profiling.  I've
attached
the source for a _very_ simple test program. If you compile and profile it
with -pg and gprof, you will immediately see some of Cygwins problems:

- The real total runtime is bigger than the one recorded in the flat profile
- The number of calls and the time per call is missing in the flat profile
- The call graph is completely useless

For comparison, this is what it looks like on a (rather slow) Linux-machine:

Flat profile:

Each sample counts as 0.01 seconds.
  %   cumulative   self              self     total
 time   seconds   seconds    calls  ns/call  ns/call  name
 50.01     37.63    37.63   400000 94075.00 94075.00  crunch2
 49.99     75.24    37.61   100000 376100.00 376100.00  crunch1

Call graph:

index % time    self  children    called     name
                                                 <spontaneous>
[1]    100.0    0.00   75.24                 main [1]
               37.63    0.00  400000/400000      crunch2 [2]
               37.61    0.00  100000/100000      crunch1 [3]
               37.63    0.00  400000/400000      main [1]
[2]     50.0   37.63    0.00  400000         crunch2 [2]
               37.61    0.00  100000/100000      main [1]
[3]     50.0   37.61    0.00  100000         crunch1 [3]

Here, the call graph shows the correct structure, furthermore the
timing records for the function itself and the children are correct.

Bye, Carsten

http://www.gmx.net

[-- Attachment #2: test.c --]
[-- Type: text/x-c, Size: 388 bytes --]

long i, j, k;
double a, b, c;
void crunch1(void);
void crunch2(void);

int main(void) {
  for(i=0;i<100000;i++) crunch1();
  for(i=0;i<400000;i++) crunch2();
}

void crunch1(void) {
  for(j=0;j<400;j++)
    for(k=1;k<10;k++)
      a = (double)j / (double)k;
}

void crunch2(void) {
  for(j=0;j<100;j++)
    for(k=1;k<10;k++)
      a = (double)j / (double)k;

* Re: Profiling with GPROF considered buggy?
@ 2001-08-27 14:49 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-08-27 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Thorenz, cygwin

@ 2001-08-27  6:37 Carsten Thorenz
From: Carsten Thorenz @ 2001-08-27  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Tim!

@ 2001-08-27  5:49 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-08-27  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Thorenz, cygwin

Unless I am mistaken, cygwin doesn't include any libraries built with -pg.  When I wish to profile with g77, I build a copy of
libg2c with -pg as well as building all my code with -pg. When I profile numerical code built with gcc, I use a mathinline.h as well
as a few of my own math functions to avoid spending much time in the newlib libm.  I can't tell from your message which language you
are using or whether you expect all the time to be spent in your own -pg compiled code.