* mintty system integration before release
@ 2015-06-27 13:27 Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2015-06-27 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
Before a mintty release, I'd like to check Windows console issues with
mintty in Windows 10,
see https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/439
As I don't have Windows 10, maybe someone can help out testing;
there is some kind of resource magic which I'm not familiar with (and I
remember it's been discussed here in some context); there is a file
res.mft in mintty with these 2 lines:
       <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/> <!--
Vista -->
       <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/> <!-- 7 -->
and I have a vague idea that specific lines should be added to
facilitate seamless integration with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
Which lines could that be?
Thanks
Thomas

* Re: mintty system integration before release
@ 2015-06-27 14:50 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-06-27 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 27 15:27, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Hi,
> Before a mintty release, I'd like to check Windows console issues with
> mintty in Windows 10,
> see https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/439
> As I don't have Windows 10, maybe someone can help out testing;
> there is some kind of resource magic which I'm not familiar with (and I
> remember it's been discussed here in some context); there is a file res.mft
> in mintty with these 2 lines:
>       <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/> <!-- Vista
> -->
>       <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/> <!-- 7 -->
> and I have a vague idea that specific lines should be added to facilitate
> seamless integration with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
> Which lines could that be?

  $ strings /usr/lib/default-manifest.o

If that's all there is to mintty's manifest, you can remove it and
just build mintty without explicit manifest.  In that case GCC will
apply /usr/lib/default-manifest.o to the executable.

Did you see my mail to you from 2015-06-23?

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: mintty system integration before release
@ 2015-06-27 14:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-06-27 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff, cygwin

Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

> Before a mintty release, I'd like to check Windows console issues with
> mintty in Windows 10,
> see https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/439
> As I don't have Windows 10, maybe someone can help out testing;
> there is some kind of resource magic which I'm not familiar with (and I
> remember it's been discussed here in some context); there is a file
> res.mft in mintty with these 2 lines:
>        <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/> <!--
> Vista -->
>        <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/> <!-- 7 -->
> and I have a vague idea that specific lines should be added to
> facilitate seamless integration with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

Not integration, but rather, disable Microsoft idiocy.
Unless the application explicitly specify supportedOS, MS will automatically
enable compatibility mode based on oldest currently supported OS.

> Which lines could that be?

First result in google for "msdn supportedOS"…

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn481241.aspx

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: mintty system integration before release
@ 2015-06-27 15:59   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2015-06-27 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 27.06.2015 um 16:50 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Jun 27 15:27, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Before a mintty release, I'd like to check Windows console issues with
>> mintty in Windows 10,
>> see https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/439
>> As I don't have Windows 10, maybe someone can help out testing;
>> there is some kind of resource magic which I'm not familiar with (and I
>> remember it's been discussed here in some context); there is a file res.mft
>> in mintty with these 2 lines:
>>        <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/> <!-- Vista
>> -->
>>        <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/> <!-- 7 -->
>> and I have a vague idea that specific lines should be added to facilitate
>> seamless integration with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
>> Which lines could that be?
>    $ strings /usr/lib/default-manifest.o
>
> If that's all there is to mintty's manifest, you can remove it and
> just build mintty without explicit manifest.
Well, there is also a res.rc without which mintty loses its Options
menu. And it does not compile without the res.mft, so I guess it's needed.
> In that case GCC will apply /usr/lib/default-manifest.o to the executable.
>
> Did you see my mail to you from 2015-06-23?
Yes, and I wonder how my response got lost :/
I was remotely aware of that mailing list and had no plan to resurrect
it (unless you would convince me it's worth it);
I think it's sufficient for this project to have one of issue tracker or
mailing list/forum, not both. And an issue tracker has the valuable
advantage that you can close issues...

@ 2015-07-01 10:48     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-07-01 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 27 17:59, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 27.06.2015 um 16:50 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> >On Jun 27 15:27, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>Before a mintty release, I'd like to check Windows console issues with
> >>mintty in Windows 10,
> >>see https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/439
> >>As I don't have Windows 10, maybe someone can help out testing;
> >>there is some kind of resource magic which I'm not familiar with (and I
> >>remember it's been discussed here in some context); there is a file res.mft
> >>in mintty with these 2 lines:
> >>       <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/> <!-- Vista
> >>-->
> >>       <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/> <!-- 7 -->
> >>and I have a vague idea that specific lines should be added to facilitate
> >>seamless integration with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
> >>Which lines could that be?
> >   $ strings /usr/lib/default-manifest.o
> >
> >If that's all there is to mintty's manifest, you can remove it and
> >just build mintty without explicit manifest.
> Well, there is also a res.rc without which mintty loses its Options menu.
> And it does not compile without the res.mft, so I guess it's needed.

In that case, yes.

> >In that case GCC will apply /usr/lib/default-manifest.o to the executable.
> >
> >Did you see my mail to you from 2015-06-23?
> Yes, and I wonder how my response got lost :/
> I was remotely aware of that mailing list and had no plan to resurrect it
> (unless you would convince me it's worth it);
> I think it's sufficient for this project to have one of issue tracker or
> mailing list/forum, not both. And an issue tracker has the valuable
> advantage that you can close issues...

Mailing lists allow discussing stuff before formally requesting
something via issue tracker.  E.g, user problems can be both, a user
just having a thinko or a bug.  ML discussions help to find out and
avoid spurious issues in the issue tracker.  Also, many people happily
report bugs on mailing lists but don't want to be bothered with
issue trackers which you have to login to.

@ 2015-07-03  8:08       ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2015-07-03  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 01.07.2015 12:47, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 27 17:59, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> I think it's sufficient for this project to have one of issue tracker or
>> mailing list/forum, not both. And an issue tracker has the valuable
>> advantage that you can close issues...
> Mailing lists allow discussing stuff before formally requesting
> something via issue tracker.  E.g, user problems can be both, a user
> just having a thinko or a bug.  ML discussions help to find out and
> avoid spurious issues in the issue tracker.  Also, many people happily
> report bugs on mailing lists but don't want to be bothered with
> issue trackers which you have to login to.
Sure. My assumption was that cygwin@cygwin.com would be a good place for
occasional questions of that kind.
Also I had somewhat associated the google groups list with the closing
google code area but that's probably not proper.
If you prefer to divert traffic off this list, I'll reconsider. Also, if
people start discussions on the old list, I can still mention it on the
homepage.

I have a package now to publish but need to find a timeslot to fiddle
with the lftp upload...

Thomas
(wondering why my responses get lost if sent from one of my machines...)

* Re: mintty system integration before release
@ 2015-07-03 10:17         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-07-03 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul  3 10:08, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> On 01.07.2015 12:47, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Jun 27 17:59, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> >>I think it's sufficient for this project to have one of issue tracker or
> >>mailing list/forum, not both. And an issue tracker has the valuable
> >>advantage that you can close issues...
> >Mailing lists allow discussing stuff before formally requesting
> >something via issue tracker.  E.g, user problems can be both, a user
> >just having a thinko or a bug.  ML discussions help to find out and
> >avoid spurious issues in the issue tracker.  Also, many people happily
> >report bugs on mailing lists but don't want to be bothered with
> >issue trackers which you have to login to.
> Sure. My assumption was that cygwin@cygwin.com would be a good place for
> occasional questions of that kind.

That's fine, but that only covers the cygwin users, while mintty exists
in a non-Cygwin version as well, IIRC.  I was just outlining why I think
having a mailing list is a good thing.  Ultimately it's your (and perhaps
Andy's) call.

> Also I had somewhat associated the google groups list with the closing
> google code area but that's probably not proper.
> If you prefer to divert traffic off this list, I'll reconsider. Also, if
> people start discussions on the old list, I can still mention it on the
> homepage.
>
> I have a package now to publish but need to find a timeslot to fiddle with
> the lftp upload...

/me is jumping up and down in anticipation

Thanks,

@ 2015-07-04 13:26           ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2015-07-04 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 03.07.2015 um 12:17 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> /me is jumping up and down in anticipation
Hi Corinna,
I uploaded last night but mintty wasn't listed yet in my !package tag
file in the sftp area.
I fixed that this morning and uploaded the !ready tag files again.
Now those are gone and the !package is reverted to the previous version.
Uploaded packages are still there.
Can you please fix that?

@ 2015-07-04 14:22             ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-07-04 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/4/2015 3:25 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 03.07.2015 um 12:17 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
>> /me is jumping up and down in anticipation
> Hi Corinna,
> I uploaded last night but mintty wasn't listed yet in my !package tag
> file in the sftp area.
> I fixed that this morning and uploaded the !ready tag files again.
> Now those are gone and the !package is reverted to the previous version.
> Uploaded packages are still there.
> Can you please fix that?

mintty is your now.
Please try again