* ssh-agent fails to create socket
@ 2011-10-14 20:02 Zdzislaw Meglicki
From: Zdzislaw Meglicki @ 2011-10-14 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After the latest upgrade (yesterday) I found that ssh-agent no longer works. It
looks like if fails to create a socket. Here is an illustration:

gustav@Crawley 503 $ ssh-agent bash -l
gustav@Crawley 501 $ ls -r /tmp
ssh-zHtmAVFZ1412
gustav@Crawley 502 $ !!
ls -r /tmp
gustav@Crawley 503 $ env | grep SSH
SSH_AGENT_PID=3624
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-zHtmAVFZ1412/agent.1412
gustav@Crawley 504 $

So: it has created the directory in /tmp, but then something goes wrong,
probably it can't make the socket, so it cleans up and removes the directory. My

ssh version numbers are as follows:

autossh 1.4b-1 OK
libssh2-devel 1.2.7-1 OK
libssh2_1 1.2.7-1 OK
openssh 5.9p1-1 OK

Other cygwin params:

Cygwin DLL version info:
DLL version: 1.7.9
DLL epoch: 19
DLL old termios: 5
DLL malloc env: 28
Cygwin conv: 181
API major: 0
API minor: 237
Shared data: 5
DLL identifier: cygwin1
Mount registry: 3
Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
Program options name: Program Options
Installations name: Installations
Cygdrive default prefix:
Build date:
Shared id: cygwin1S5

Zdzislaw Meglicki
Indiana University

[-- Attachment #2: cygcheck.log.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-compressed, Size: 42331 bytes --]

* Re: ssh-agent fails to create socket
@ 2011-10-17  9:08 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-10-17  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 14 13:02, Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:
> After the latest upgrade (yesterday) I found that ssh-agent no longer works. It
> looks like if fails to create a socket. Here is an illustration:
>
> gustav@Crawley 503 $ ssh-agent bash -l
> gustav@Crawley 501 $ ls -r /tmp
> ssh-zHtmAVFZ1412
> gustav@Crawley 502 $ !!
> ls -r /tmp
> gustav@Crawley 503 $ env | grep SSH
> SSH_AGENT_PID=3624
> SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-zHtmAVFZ1412/agent.1412
> gustav@Crawley 504 $
>
> So: it has created the directory in /tmp, but then something goes wrong,
> probably it can't make the socket, so it cleans up and removes the directory. My

I can reproduce this issue.  It's not that it can't create the socket,
actually it does so, but for some reason it calls select and, when select
returns, it decides to clean up and exit.  It's tricky to debug because
ssh-agent has no debug mode and for some reason it doesn't occur under
strace.

For the time being, the workaround is:

  $ eval `ssh-agent -s`

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: ssh-agent fails to create socket
@ 2011-10-17  9:21   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-10-17  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 17 11:07, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 14 13:02, Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:
> > After the latest upgrade (yesterday) I found that ssh-agent no longer works. It
> > looks like if fails to create a socket. Here is an illustration:
> >
> > gustav@Crawley 503 $ ssh-agent bash -l
> > gustav@Crawley 501 $ ls -r /tmp
> > ssh-zHtmAVFZ1412
> > gustav@Crawley 502 $ !!
> > ls -r /tmp
> > gustav@Crawley 503 $ env | grep SSH
> > SSH_AGENT_PID=3624
> > SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-zHtmAVFZ1412/agent.1412
> > gustav@Crawley 504 $
> >
> > So: it has created the directory in /tmp, but then something goes wrong,
> > probably it can't make the socket, so it cleans up and removes the directory. My
>
> I can reproduce this issue.  It's not that it can't create the socket,
> actually it does so, but for some reason it calls select and, when select
> returns, it decides to clean up and exit.  It's tricky to debug because
> ssh-agent has no debug mode and for some reason it doesn't occur under
> strace.
>
> For the time being, the workaround is:
>
>   $ eval `ssh-agent -s`

    $ eval `ssh-agent -c`

if you're running tcsh.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: ssh-agent fails to create socket
@ 2011-10-17 11:04     ` jan.kolar
From: jan.kolar @ 2011-10-17 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I can reproduce this issue.  It's not that it can't create the socket,
> actually it does so, but for some reason it calls select and, when select
> returns, it decides to clean up and exit.

On modified cygwin 1.7.9-1, the socket does not disappear
(until shortly, 5 seconds?, after I type exit.) No problem with strace.

>  It's tricky to debug because
> ssh-agent has no debug mode and for some reason it doesn't occur under
> strace.

Might this help ?
   -d          Debug mode.
   "ssh-agent -d" reacts to
               SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-aGrJxZN880/agent.880 ssh u@host
    typed to other window.

JK

* Re: ssh-agent fails to create socket
@ 2011-10-17 11:09       ` jan.kolar
From: jan.kolar @ 2011-10-17 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

jan.kolar wrote:

>> I can reproduce this issue.  It's not that it can't create the socket,
>> actually it does so, but for some reason it calls select and, when select
>> returns, it decides to clean up and exit.
>
> On modified cygwin 1.7.9-1, the socket does not disappear
> (until shortly, 5 seconds?, after I type exit.) No problem with strace.
>
>>  It's tricky to debug because
>> ssh-agent has no debug mode and for some reason it doesn't occur under
>> strace.
>
> Might this help ?
>    -d          Debug mode.
>    "ssh-agent -d" reacts to
>                SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-aGrJxZN880/agent.880 ssh u@host
>     typed to other window.
>
> JK

Here
Package              Version        Status
autossh              1.4b-1         OK
libssh2_1            1.2.2-1        OK
openssh              5.5p1-1        OK

* Re: ssh-agent fails to create socket
@ 2011-10-17 13:53         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-10-17 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 17 04:08, jan.kolar wrote:
> jan.kolar wrote:
> >
> >> I can reproduce this issue.  It's not that it can't create the socket,
> >> actually it does so, but for some reason it calls select and, when select
> >> returns, it decides to clean up and exit.
> >
> > On modified cygwin 1.7.9-1, the socket does not disappear
> > (until shortly, 5 seconds?, after I type exit.) No problem with strace.
> >
> >>  It's tricky to debug because
> >> ssh-agent has no debug mode and for some reason it doesn't occur under
> >> strace.
> >
> > Might this help ?
> >    -d          Debug mode.

Thanks!  I don't know how I could miss that.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: ssh-agent fails to create socket
@ 2011-10-17 15:06           ` jan.kolar
From: jan.kolar @ 2011-10-17 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Another related 'recent update ?' message at cygwin-xfree:

http://old.nabble.com/Could-not-open-a-connection-to-your-authentication-agent.-tt32667563.html
"Not sure if this is directly related to  the recent update, but after I
"did the update, I could not open an connect to the ssh agent....