* RE: sockets and mingwin32
@ 1997-03-04 23:23 Colin Peters
From: Colin Peters @ 1997-03-04 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'JP Shipherd'; +Cc: 'GNU-Win32'

JP Shipherd[SMTP:jp@nuancecom.com] wrote:
>but the cygwin headers keep creeping in and I get errors like:
>
>C:\gnu32\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-961023/../..
>/../
>../i386-cygwin32/include/sys/types.h:131: warning: `FD_SET' redefined
[snip]
>Is the i386-cygwin32/include path built into gcc (g++)?  It's not in any of
>my include env vars:
>
>declare -x
>CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH="/gnu32/mingw32/include:/gnu32/mingw32/include/non
>ansi:/gnu32/win32/include"
>declare -x
>C_INCLUDE_PATH="/gnu32/mingw32/include:/gnu32/mingw32/include/nonansi
>:/gnu32/win32/include"

Indeed yes, and I just found out about the problem today (sorry, I should
have been more careful in my testing). Anyway it seems that cpp at least
does know something about standard include file locations. Fortunately
you can work around this problem by adding "-iprefix /mingw32/include/"
or some such to the cpp options in the Mingw32 specs file (line 8)
so that it looks like this:

*cpp:
%{posix:-D_POSIX_SOURCE} -iprefix /mingw32/include/

This seems to take care of that problem (I hope). There may still be
problems with winsock and Mingw32, but at least you'll be getting the
right header files.

Colin.

-- Colin Peters - colin@bird.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp
-- Saga University Dept. of Information Science
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/index.html
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/

-

* Some Surprises
@ 1997-03-06 16:22 ` drs
From: drs @ 1997-03-06 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I had been using gnu-win32 bash, but ran into a confict while using the
JDK,
which would like to have the HOME variable set to the root directory. I
was
pleasantly surprised to find bash will run command.com (a shell within a
shell)
complete with it's own set of environment variables, without complaint.
OK, so I probabably should have known this would work, and also that
command.com
will now respond to commands like "ls". But it was a nice surprise to
see how flexible
the unix style tools are and how relatively complete is the integration
under
gnu-win32. Good Job.

D. Smith
drs@cs.wisc.edu