* NT Scheduler & mounted drive
@ 1997-03-07  8:08 JP Shipherd
From: JP Shipherd @ 1997-03-07  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Does anyone use the NT Sheduler?  I'm trying to include Win32 into our
nightly build cycle but am running into a strange problem.  Here is my setup:

First I've got a file nightly.bat.  This essentially starts bash and tells
it to run go.nightly.

go.nightly cd's to a source directory on a drive that was mounted with the
-b and -m options.  After that it just does a make.

go.nightly (run in a bash shell) by itself works
nightly.bat (run from a dos prompt) works

when it is run by the schedule service make complains that there is no
Makefile.

If I rename Makefile to make.w32 (and run make -f make.w32), it starts up,
but dies as soon as it comes it needs to deal with a file with uppercase
characters in it's name.

As I said, this works fine if I type it in from the command line.  The
scheduler also has no problems doing make on a Makefile on my local drive.

Has anyone tried anything like this?  Does anyone out there have insight
into the NT Scheduler and how it might be interacting with mount?  I'm
thinking about posting something similar to one of the ms.prog.win32 type
newsgroups but I suspect that someone who knows how mount works would have
a better chance at knowing what is happening.

Thanks,
--jp

-

* Re: NT Scheduler & mounted drive
@ 1997-03-08 11:00 ` Grant Leslie
From: Grant Leslie @ 1997-03-08 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU-Win32

> Does anyone use the NT Sheduler?  I'm trying to include Win32 into our
> nightly build cycle but am running into a strange problem.  Here is my setup:
>
> First I've got a file nightly.bat.  This essentially starts bash and tells
> it to run go.nightly.
>
> go.nightly cd's to a source directory on a drive that was mounted with the
> -b and -m options.  After that it just does a make.
>
> go.nightly (run in a bash shell) by itself works
> nightly.bat (run from a dos prompt) works
>
> when it is run by the schedule service make complains that there is no
> Makefile.

When cygwin.dll creates the mounts they exist only under your own user
enviroment in the registry. I intend to use the GNU-Win32 tools to run
Shell scripts under a web server, and soon realized I had to recreate
the same mountings I had made under the Web Servers User account,
otherwise cygwin.dll would create it's own default mappings, which for
one are text mode (no -b ) by defualt, and not mixed ( no -m ).
Maybe when NT Scheduler runs, it runs as System, and not your user
account, which would mean the mounts you created would not by in effect.
Try adding the proper mount commands at the beginning of the
"nightly.bat" file, before you invoke Bash, to force the proper file
mappings.
-

* RE: NT Scheduler & mounted drive
@ 1997-03-08  2:17 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-03-08  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'JP Shipherd'

JP Shipherd wrote:

> go.nightly cd's to a source directory on a drive that was mounted with
the
> -b and -m options.  After that it just does a make.

Is it a remote drive?

> As I said, this works fine if I type it in from the command line.  The
> scheduler also has no problems doing make on a Makefile on my local
drive.

If schedule service is started with (default) Local System account, it can
not access network drives. Change schedule's start-up parameters to run
with Your account (CP/Services/Schedule/Start-Up). Moreover, cygwin's mount
table located in HK_Current_User registry tree. Your mounts are not the
same as another user's mounts.

--
Sergey Okhapkin
Moscow, Russia