* Re: Does anyone have a man command??  [Fwd: Re: man for NT Emacs?]
@ 1997-03-27 20:59 Dr Francis J. Wright
From: Dr Francis J. Wright @ 1997-03-27 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: craft; +Cc: gnu-win32, Kevin.DElia

Peter Craft wrote:

> I'm not sure if this mailing list is the right place to
> send this question, but I'm trying to find a man command
> to allow me to view the man pages that are distributed with
> the gnu-win32 toolset.  I've searched everywhere, but can't
> seem to find one (or an equivalent *roff command).

Hmm!  This seems to be the question of the moment!  Attached is a
response I sent a few minutes ago to a related list.

* Re: Does anyone have a man command??  [Fwd: Re: man for NT Emacs?]
       [not found]       ` <333DCE68.25B4@netcom.com>
@ 1997-03-29 18:46         ` Grant leslie
From: Grant leslie @ 1997-03-29 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Balter wrote:

> > Ops sorry, it's in the /pub/gnu-win32 directory, and the all_man.tgz
> > file does contain, man.exe AND a full compiliation of groff
>
> But that's 10MB; Yow!

Sorry, once again.... it the file called allman-cygwin32.tgz that you
are looking for. I guess Im still tired from an 18hour drive thursday
;-).. thats only about 1.4meg..

As for the extra stuff in the letter? It didn't come from me... <shrug>
-

* Re: Does anyone have a man command??  [Fwd: Re: man for NT Emacs?]
       [not found]   ` <333DBD46.68B9@netcom.com>
@ 1997-03-29 17:29     ` Grant leslie
       [not found]       ` <333DCE68.25B4@netcom.com>
From: Grant leslie @ 1997-03-29 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-03-29 11:11 ` Grant leslie
       [not found]   ` <333DBD46.68B9@netcom.com>
From: Grant leslie @ 1997-03-29 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christophe Agathon wrote:

> The 'man' command isn't really a problem (i've found one somewhere), but
> you need *roff. I tryed to build groff package under gnu-win32 b17.1, but
> it
> seems to need lot of hacking. ( anybody managed ?)

	Well, since it seems people are still interested, I have placed the
beta 17.1 compiled man and groff back on my ftp server temporarily. This
was compiled on Win95, and striped fully. So I can't say for sure if it
will work on NT. Though I have read that stripped exe's seem to work on
NT 4.0 with service pack 2 installed..
	In spite of the trouble mentioned above, I had very little trouble
getting this to work, in fact only one small change was made to the
groff source code, and no change was made to the man source. What was
needed was to be absolutely sure the proper dir stucture existed before
it would work properly. Just look in the main README file in the
all_man.tgz file, for version numbers. You may find the sources in any
of the Linux Slackware distributions on the net.
	The only tricky part was getting a nice working less, and this well, I
pretty much had to hack at. Im sorry I can't provide the changes I made
to the less sources. Basically compiled it with the defines set as a
MS-DOS system, but for the files which dealt with file system access,
the defines where changed to imply a Unix system. I know some might not
like the directory structure, but, as I compiled and installed I liked
to keep the installed files seperate from my normal files, thus the
/usr/local/... compiled into the exe's I welcome anyone to redo what I
did, since other than hacking less-330, almost nothing had to be
changed.

ftp://ftp.deerinet.nb.ca/gnu-win32

	NOTE: I have found the best way (for me anyway )to get things to
compile and install properly with Cygwin32 is to make your directory
stucture look as much like a Unix box as possible...
-

* RE: Does anyone have a man command??  [Fwd: Re: man for NT Emacs?]
@ 1997-03-29  5:35 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-03-29  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Christophe Agathon'; +Cc: F.J.Wright

Christophe Agathon wrote:
> The 'man' command isn't really a problem (i've found one somewhere), but
> you need *roff. I tryed to build groff package under gnu-win32 b17.1, but
> it
> seems to need lot of hacking. ( anybody managed ?)

What troubles did you have with groff compiling? With including "String.h" instead of "string.h"?-)

--
Sergey Okhapkin
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: Does anyone have a man command??  [Fwd: Re: man for NT Emacs?]
@ 1997-03-28  6:27 Christophe Agathon
From: Christophe Agathon @ 1997-03-28  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32; +Cc: F.J.Wright