* Unable to find entry point _mainCRTStartup function while linking
@ 1997-04-04 11:33 Vassan, S. S.
From: Vassan, S. S. @ 1997-04-04 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'GNU Support'; +Cc: Laurie Babernitsh

Dear Support:
I recently downloaded Beta17.1(latest) of GNU-win32  from the net.
I downloaded only the binaries and development tools( DIDNT get the
source
or recompile/relink the executables). This was installed in Windows NT
4.0.

When I tried to link a program it says
"Unable to find the main entrypoint _mainCRTStartup assuming the main
entry point at..."
I scanned all the directories and found
"\cygnus\h-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\lib\ldscripts\i386pe.* "
which have this entry point defined in this.
How to include this..? what am I supposed to do with this...

I feel the binary versions in the net are not properly configured for
Windows NT,
we may have to get the source file and start from beginning the three
steps
Configuration, compilation and installation... I dont have enough free
disk for
that..
Is there any solution for this...?
Additionally this version of linker is not able to recognise  .LIB files
..
I have the MicroSoft  ODBC library with me .."ODBC32.LIB" which I tried
to link using the option "-lodbc32". It came out with the message
"ld.exe: Unable to open -lodbc32" always..
I tried all permutations and combinations and was not successfull..
Ultimately, I used "dlltool" to export all the functions from the DLL
and create
libodbc32.a -unix like library..

But still I couldnt create ".EXE" due to the first error...
Can anybody give me a solution for these ....

Thanx,
Vassan
-

* Re: Unable to find entry point _mainCRTStartup function while linking
@ 1997-04-04 17:25 ` Jim Balter
From: Jim Balter @ 1997-04-04 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vassan, S. S.; +Cc: gnu-win32

Vassan, S. S. wrote:

> Dear Support:

This mailing list is a place where users of GNU-win32
hang out, and so what "support" you will get is a matter of
whether we fellow users happen to know the answers to your
questions.  It is not a Cygnus support channel, and people from Cygnus
rarely participate.  If you want support from Cygnus, you need to buy
it.

> I recently downloaded Beta17.1(latest) of GNU-win32  from the net.
> I downloaded only the binaries and development tools( DIDNT get the
> source
> or recompile/relink the executables). This was installed in Windows NT
> 4.0.
>
> When I tried to link a program it says
> "Unable to find the main entrypoint _mainCRTStartup assuming the main
> entry point at..."

Do you mean _WinMainCRTStartup?  Did you compile with
--subsystem windows?  Did the program fail when you ran it?
Please provide accurate and complete details.

> I scanned all the directories and found
> "\cygnus\h-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32\lib\ldscripts\i386pe.* "
> which have this entry point defined in this.
> How to include this..? what am I supposed to do with this...
>
> I feel the binary versions in the net are not properly configured for
> Windows NT,

Many of us are using them on Win NT, so that wouldn't seem to be the
case.

> we may have to get the source file and start from beginning the three
> steps
> Configuration, compilation and installation... I dont have enough free
> disk for
> that..
> Is there any solution for this...?
> Additionally this version of linker is not able to recognise  .LIB files
> ..
> I have the MicroSoft  ODBC library with me .."ODBC32.LIB" which I tried
> to link using the option "-lodbc32". It came out with the message
> "ld.exe: Unable to open -lodbc32" always..

-lodbc32 means <standard library directory>/libodbc32.a, so that isn't
right.  With you own libraries, you just specify their path on the
command line.  But I think it is true that ld can't handle .LIB files.

> I tried all permutations and combinations and was not successfull..
> Ultimately, I used "dlltool" to export all the functions from the DLL
> and create
> libodbc32.a -unix like library..
>
> But still I couldnt create ".EXE" due to the first error...

The first "error" you mentioned is a warning that normally
still creates a .exe, so if none was created that is probably for some
other reason.

--
<J Q B>
-