* Has anyone attempted to port Apache?
@ 1997-08-31 13:43 IGnatius T Foobar
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: IGnatius T Foobar @ 1997-08-31 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Has anyone attempted to port the Apache webserver to the GNU-Win32
environment?  One would assume that it would be a _much_ nicer option than
Micro$oft's IIS.

-

* Re: Has anyone attempted to port Apache?
@ 1997-09-01 11:56 ` A. Phillip Smith
From: A. Phillip Smith @ 1997-09-01 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: IGnatius T Foobar; +Cc: gnu-win32

> Has anyone attempted to port the Apache webserver to the GNU-Win32
> environment?  One would assume that it would be a _much_ nicer option than
> Micro$oft's IIS.

We ported Apache 1.1 SSL to gnu-win32 b17 -- if no one has a more recent port,
we can contribute it to the group.

Phil Smith
Applications Engineering, Inc.
asmith@aeinc.com
-

* Re: Has anyone attempted to port Apache?
@ 1997-09-01 12:35 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-09-01 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi IGnatius,

> Has anyone attempted to port the Apache webserver to the GNU-Win32
> environment?  One would assume that it would be a _much_ nicer option than
> Micro$oft's IIS.

The newest Apache version (1.3 ??) includes a port for Windows NT, which
is in alpha state !!

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-

* Re: Has anyone attempted to port Apache?
@ 1997-09-01 12:49 ` Jeremy Blackman
From: Jeremy Blackman @ 1997-09-01 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: IGnatius T Foobar; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, IGnatius T Foobar wrote:

> Has anyone attempted to port the Apache webserver to the GNU-Win32
> environment?  One would assume that it would be a _much_ nicer option than
> Micro$oft's IIS.

Apache 1.3 has their own official port to WinNT and 95.  From what I hear,
it compiles and runs rather nicely.  Instead of forking off additional
services like the UNIX version, I understand that it actually operates as
a multithreaded single server process.

Their version comes as Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 projects, however.  This
means, among other things, that it doesn't need the cygnus winsup DLL to
run.  It also means to compile the source code, you need MS VC++...

Take a look at http://www.apache.org and read up on Apache 1.3... :)

+---[ Loki ]------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Jeremy Blackman       | NeonMuck coder/maintainer - Multimedia MU*!       |
| loki@maison-otaku.net | http://www.maison-otaku.net/neon                  |

* Re: Has anyone attempted to port Apache?
@ 1997-09-02 22:32   ` Shane Caraveo
From: Shane Caraveo @ 1997-09-02 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

There already is a native port of Apache by an outside group.  I
downloaded it and it runs quit nicely.  It is version 1.2b10.
It is at ftp://valicert.com/pub/

I consider this port as experimental.  I have used it on my win95
machine, and it has run quit nice.

The apache group does not have anything to do with this particular
port, but I beleive I read somewhere that they are using code from
this port to aid in their porting efforts.

Of course, if you have vc++, you can download apache 1.3a1 and
compile it.

> > Has anyone attempted to port the Apache webserver to the GNU-Win32
> > environment?  One would assume that it would be a _much_ nicer option than
> > Micro$oft's IIS.
> >

> We ported Apache 1.1 SSL to gnu-win32 b17 -- if no one has a more recent port,
> we can contribute it to the group.
>
> Phil Smith
> Applications Engineering, Inc.
> asmith@aeinc.com
> -

-

* Re: Has anyone attempted to port Apache?
@ 1997-09-03  0:42     ` Jeremy Blackman
From: Jeremy Blackman @ 1997-09-03  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Halpin; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, M. Halpin wrote:

> 	I have VC++ 4.0 Professional Edition. Would that work? Also, how
> would I compile it?

No.  It requires VC++ 5.0 or later.

http://www.apache.org/docs/windows.html for more info, folks.  The Apache
project can answer more questions than I can. :)

It requires NT 4.0 or Win95, Microsoft VC++ 5.0 'or later' (my personal
recommendation would be 5.0 with the first upgrade/patch.  It fixes
several things, including a MAJOR delay-bug in Remote Debugging).

You build it using the 'NMAKE' program that comes with VC++.

Second topic:
> P.S. In Neon 2.14, page-poses don't work correctly. If you need more info,
> let me know.

This isn't even remotely connected to cygwin32 except for the fact that I
build the Win95/NT version of Neon using it, but what the heck... it
was part of the same message and the first part should go to the rest of
the list...

As the admin player, type 'page #setup'.  When Chris built that database,
he forgot to do that last command.  2.15's database'll have that fixed,
and 2.15'll be out soon enough anyway. :)

@ 1997-09-03  0:42   ` M. Halpin
From: M. Halpin @ 1997-09-03  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Blackman; +Cc: IGnatius T Foobar, gnu-win32

	I have VC++ 4.0 Professional Edition. Would that work? Also, how
would I compile it?

	Thanks

	- SJ