* RE: POSIX semantics?
@ 1997-07-26 11:27 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-07-26 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'jazz@softway.com'; +Cc: gnu-win32

Jason Zions wrote:
> > Even NT Posix
> > subsystem does not allows case-sensitive directory names :-(
>
> Incorrect. The NT POSIX subsystem, as shipped by MS, does allow the
> creation of case-sensitive directory names, as does the OpenNT POSIX

E:\Reskit\POSIX>mkdir aaa

E:\Reskit\POSIX>mkdir AAA
A subdirectory or file AAA already exists.

Any comments? NTS 4.0SP3, Resource Kit 4.0.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: POSIX semantics?
@ 1997-07-26 12:43 ` Jason Zions
From: Jason Zions @ 1997-07-26 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Okhapkin; +Cc: gnu-win32

Is your E: NTFS or FAT? Local or remote? Which mkdir command were you
running? One built to use the POSIX subsystem, or one built to Win32?
One ported from a Unix box, or one written by MS programmers who still
didn't quite believe it was reasonable to allow case-sensitive
filenames?

You can choose to believe me, or you can choose not to. Either way, the
fact remains that the POSIX subsystem as shipped by Microsoft in NT 3.51
and NT 4.0 is quite capable of creating case-sensitive directory names.
It wouldn't have passed the NIST PCTS were that not the case; I'm fairly
certain something very much like this appeared in it.

Running OpenNT 2.0 on an NTFS local drive:

$ mkdir aaa AAA
$ touch aaa/foo AAA/bar
$ ls [aA]*
AAA:
bar

aaa:
foo
$ uname -a
Windows_NT SWING 4.0 SP0 Pentium

Jason

-

* RE: POSIX semantics?
@ 1997-07-26 23:41 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-07-26 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Okhapkin, 'jazz@softway.com'; +Cc: gnu-win32

Jason Zions wrote:
> Is your E: NTFS or FAT? Local or remote? Which mkdir command were you
> running? One built to use the POSIX subsystem, or one built to Win32?
> One ported from a Unix box, or one written by MS programmers who still
> didn't quite believe it was reasonable to allow case-sensitive
> filenames?

It was my fault:-) Built-in mkdir instead of posix mkdir.exe was running
:-) I know a way to remove files case-sensitively (with delete-on-close),
but is there any ability to create/remove directories case-sensitively
using documented win32 api calls?

From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-07-26 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Paul Prescod'

Paul Prescod wrote:
> Does that mean that in the POSIX subsystem I can create files name Foo,
> FOO and foo in the same directory?

It's possible not only with posix subsystem, but with win32 api. Just add FILE_FLAG_POSIX_SEMANTICS to CreateFile() call.

--

@ 1997-07-26 13:25   ` Paul Prescod
From: Paul Prescod @ 1997-07-26 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Jason Zions wrote:

> > Even NT Posix
> > subsystem does not allows case-sensitive directory names :-(
>
> Incorrect. The NT POSIX subsystem, as shipped by MS, does allow the
> creation of case-sensitive directory names, as does the OpenNT POSIX
> subsystem. At least for local NTFS and FAT partitions; the SMB
> redirectors have a nasty habit of being case-insensitive regardless of
> what NT asks for.

Does that mean that in the POSIX subsystem I can create files name Foo,
FOO and foo in the same directory?

 Paul Prescod
-

* Re: POSIX semantics?
@ 1997-07-26  8:25 ` Jason Zions
From: Jason Zions @ 1997-07-26  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Okhapkin; +Cc: gnu-win32, 'ghamer@cacd.rockwell.com'

@ 1997-07-26  0:01 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-07-26  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'ghamer@cacd.rockwell.com'

ghamer@cacd.rockwell.com wrote:
> Instead of changing the filename to support mixed-case mounts, would it
> be possible to simply tell NT to use POSIX semantics when opening files?

How to remove a file case sensitively (probably, I know the solution)? How
to create/remove a directory with case sensitive name? Even NT Posix

@ 1997-07-25  9:06 ghamer
From: ghamer @ 1997-07-25  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, so please cc a copy of your
reply to me.  Thanks.

Instead of changing the filename to support mixed-case mounts, would it
be possible to simply tell NT to use POSIX semantics when opening files?

It seems to me that this would be a much better solution.  It would be
much more transparent to non-Unix applications this way.

The only problem I see is that this wouldn't work under 95, but a few
#defines should work around that problem.

Stephen Lindholm
sblindho@cacd.rockwell.com
-