* login and telnetd
@ 1997-08-06  2:29 Jerome Gay
From: Jerome Gay @ 1997-08-06  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Okhapkin; +Cc: cygnus

I'm using b18 with latest coolview (01-Aug) under NT4SP3, and got a problem
with login.exe
After playing around with user rights, I got login.exe almost working...
(BTW, Sergey do you know exactly how to configure a user with User Manager
to have login.exe working fine ?)
I enter login name and password, which are ok, and I get :
login: no shell: /bin/sh: Not owner

in my /etc/passwd, I have : 'sysroot::500:0:::/bin/sh' among other things
(sysroot is the name of the builtin NT administrator, renamed)

telnetd :
when running 'inetd -d /etc/inetd.conf' in one bash session, and running
telnet (Sergey's telnet.exe) in another bash session, trying to connect on
localhost, I got :

telnet client side :
Trying 127.0.0.1...
setuid called, and it's not done yet.
Connected to pathfinder.[...]
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

in bash session where inetd was started :
someone wants telnet
accept, ctrl 3
+ Closing from 17
1022 execl /usr/local/libexec/in.telnetd
1022 reaped, status 0x100

Is anyone using telnetd successfully ?
Any idea ?

BTW, when I run rxvt, though it's apparently working fine, it does not
source my $HOME/.bashrc file, and I also get several 'setuid called, and
it's not done yet' (in the terminal where I start rxvt and also in the rxvt
window itself).....

-

* Re: login and telnetd
@ 1997-08-12 23:27 ` Gunther Ebert
From: Gunther Ebert @ 1997-08-12 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Gay; +Cc: gnu-win32

Jerome Gay wrote:

> telnetd :
> when running 'inetd -d /etc/inetd.conf' in one bash session, and running
> telnet (Sergey's telnet.exe) in another bash session, trying to connect on
> localhost, I got :
>
> telnet client side :
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> setuid called, and it's not done yet.
> Connected to pathfinder.[...]
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> in bash session where inetd was started :
> someone wants telnet
> accept, ctrl 3
> + Closing from 17
> 1022 execl /usr/local/libexec/in.telnetd
> 1022 reaped, status 0x100
>
> Is anyone using telnetd successfully ?
> Any idea ?

Did anyone answer this question? I'm running exactly into this
problem.

--

Gunther Ebert
iXOS Anwendungs-Software GmbH

Phone : +49 341 48503-0
Fax   : +49 341 48503-99
E-mail: mailto:gunther.ebert@ixos-leipzig.de
www   : http://www.ixos-leipzig.de
-

* Re: login and telnetd
@ 1997-08-15 15:12   ` Gilligan
From: Gilligan @ 1997-08-15 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Win 32

Gunther Ebert wrote:

> Jerome Gay wrote:
> >
> > telnetd :
> > when running 'inetd -d /etc/inetd.conf' in one bash session, and
> running
> > telnet (Sergey's telnet.exe) in another bash session, trying to
> connect on
> > localhost, I got :
> >
> > telnet client side :
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > setuid called, and it's not done yet.
> > Connected to pathfinder.[...]
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
> >
> > in bash session where inetd was started :
> > someone wants telnet
> > accept, ctrl 3
> > + Closing from 17
> > 1022 execl /usr/local/libexec/in.telnetd
> > 1022 reaped, status 0x100
> >
> > Is anyone using telnetd successfully ?
> > Any idea ?
> >

> Did anyone answer this question? I'm running exactly into this
> problem.

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be just that I didn't have
root defined in my /etc/passwd.  I changed the inetd.conf telnet entry
from root to my username, and it worked.
-

* RE: login and telnetd
@ 1997-08-06 10:37 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-08-06 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jerome Gay'; +Cc: cygnus

Jerome Gay wrote:
> >> type 'cd' then 'pwd' I got '/home/gay'
> >
> >What is the real case stored on filesystem?
>
> On file system (NTFS) it's stored in lowercase (/home/gay)

pwd always reports the real case.

> >Run "rxvt -e bash -login"
>
> Do you mean I've to start rxvt with these options each time ?

Yes. Or "rxvt -ls". Read the rxvt (and bash) manuals:-)

> >Depends of X server software you're using. BS works fine with StarNet's
> xwin32 and have the same nasty behavior with DEC eXcursion.
>
> I'm using ReflectionX 6.0 from WRQ

Try to play with X server's keyboard mappings (if any).

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-08-06 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jerome Gay'; +Cc: cygnus

Jerome Gay wrote:
> I still cannot have telnetd running...
>  Though rexecd is ok ,I can run rxvt via rexec, but then :

It's a news for me :-) I didn't try rexecd :-)

>   - bash starts in directory '/HOME/GAY' (though $HOME=/home/gay), but if I
> type 'cd' then 'pwd' I got '/home/gay'

What is the real case stored on filesystem?

>   - my .bashrc is not executed (maybe linked to this uppercase/lowercase
> problem for my home dir),

Run "rxvt -e bash -login"

>   - I got lots of messages like 'free_tty: count < 0' in rxvt,

How to reproduce the bug?

@ 1997-08-06 10:37 Jerome Gay
From: Jerome Gay @ 1997-08-06 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Okhapkin; +Cc: cygnus

>Jerome Gay wrote:
>> I still cannot have telnetd running...

telnetd gives 'readped, status 0x100' each time I try to connect....

>>  Though rexecd is ok ,I can run rxvt via rexec, but then :
>
>It's a news for me :-) I didn't try rexecd :-)

Great !

>>   - bash starts in directory '/HOME/GAY' (though $HOME=/home/gay), but if
>> type 'cd' then 'pwd' I got '/home/gay'
>
>What is the real case stored on filesystem?

On file system (NTFS) it's stored in lowercase (/home/gay)

>>   - my .bashrc is not executed (maybe linked to this uppercase/lowercase
>> problem for my home dir),
>
>Run "rxvt -e bash -login"

Do you mean I've to start rxvt with these options each time ?

>>   - I got lots of messages like 'free_tty: count < 0' in rxvt,
>
>How to reproduce the bug?

I'll try to find it out...

>>   - <backspace> does not work in rxvt, I have to type <shift> +
<backspace>
>> !...
>
>Depends of X server software you're using. BS works fine with StarNet's
xwin32 and have the same nasty behavior with DEC eXcursion.

I'm using ReflectionX 6.0 from WRQ

Cheers,

Jerome "ZoSo"

-

* RE: login and telnetd
@ 1997-08-06  8:46 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-08-06  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jerome Gay'; +Cc: cygnus

Jerome Gay wrote:
> (BTW, Sergey do you know exactly how to configure a user with User
Manager
> to have login.exe working fine ?)
> I enter login name and password, which are ok, and I get :
> login: no shell: /bin/sh: Not owner

The rights required are "Act as part of operation system" (SE_TCB_NAME) for
LogonUser call, and "Assign primary token" (SE_ASSIGNPRIMARYTOKEN_NAME)
 and "Increase quotas" (SE_INCREASE_QUOTA_NAME) for CreateProcessAsUser
call.

--

@ 1997-08-06  8:19 Jerome Gay
From: Jerome Gay @ 1997-08-06  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Okhapkin; +Cc: cygnus

Sergey-

Thanks a lot...
After a few tries, login is working fine, I had to give my administrator
account the "Replace a process token" right, "Increases quotas" is set by
default for administrators, "Logon as a service" does not seem to be
required to run login locally.
I still cannot have telnetd running...
 Though rexecd is ok ,I can run rxvt via rexec, but then :
  - bash starts in directory '/HOME/GAY' (though $HOME=/home/gay), but if I
type 'cd' then 'pwd' I got '/home/gay'
  - my .bashrc is not executed (maybe linked to this uppercase/lowercase
problem for my home dir),
  - I got lots of messages like 'free_tty: count < 0' in rxvt,
!...

I've run into a lot of newbie problems to setup gnuwin32 ok, I'm trying to
write-down what I may consider as 'must_be_done' steps. If anyone is
interested or wants to add some input... you're welcome *:o)8

Jerome "ZoSo"

-