* GUI Help
@ 1997-09-24 22:34 Mike Ryan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mike Ryan @ 1997-09-24 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I am looking to start programming windows 95 applications, is using the
gnu-win32 a good choice.  I want to program GUI applications like Explorer,
or Netscape, or something along those lines.

I have no idea how to go about doing this, and am wondering if I am in the
right place.

I have been using DJGPP and compiling C code for dos, is windows programming
much different?

As you can see, I am pretty clueless, any help is appreciated.

--
Michael D. Ryan [Brotherhood Software] dbrotherhood@geocities.com
Web Page:  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/5301/

-

* Re: GUI Help
@ 1997-09-25 10:48 ` Peter Dalgaard BSA
From: Peter Dalgaard BSA @ 1997-09-25 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ryan; +Cc: gnu-win32

Mike Ryan <dbrotherhood@geocities.com> writes:

> I am looking to start programming windows 95 applications, is using the
> gnu-win32 a good choice.  I want to program GUI applications like Explorer,
> or Netscape, or something along those lines.
>
> I have no idea how to go about doing this, and am wondering if I am in the
> right place.
>
> I have been using DJGPP and compiling C code for dos, is windows programming
> much different?
>
> As you can see, I am pretty clueless, any help is appreciated.

Gnuwin32 is *becoming* a viable option for what you want to do, but it
is more directly targeted at porting Unix stuff, and right at the
moment it is not for the clueless. I suggest you try RSXNT. I forgot
where I found it, but look for these four files:

nt09cbnu.zip  nt09cdev.zip  nt09cgcc.zip  rsxnt131.zip

~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907
-

* Re: GUI Help
@ 1997-09-25 11:47 ` Tibor Polgar
From: Tibor Polgar @ 1997-09-25 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ryan; +Cc: gnu-win32

 > I am looking to start programming windows 95 applications, is using the
 > gnu-win32 a good choice.  I want to program GUI applications like Explorer,
 > or Netscape, or something along those lines.
 >
 > I have no idea how to go about doing this, and am wondering if I am in the
 > right place.

as the old line goes: "If you are in Rome do as the Romans".  Your case is no
different, if you're going to do GUI programing use a Win32 environment - not a
unix one.

Tibor

-

* Re: GUI Help
@ 1997-09-25 16:50   ` Allan Peda
From: Allan Peda @ 1997-09-25 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tibor Polgar; +Cc: Mike Ryan, gnu-win32

Try using something called YACL, do a www.hotbot.com search on YACL and Sridhar (he
wrote it).  It's a cross platform GUI library.

oh here: http://www.cs.sc.edu/~sridhar/yacl.html
Tibor Polgar wrote:

>  > I am looking to start programming windows 95 applications, is using the
>  > gnu-win32 a good choice.  I want to program GUI applications like Explorer,
>  > or Netscape, or something along those lines.
>  >
>  > I have no idea how to go about doing this, and am wondering if I am in the
>  > right place.
>
> as the old line goes: "If you are in Rome do as the Romans".  Your case is no
> different, if you're going to do GUI programing use a Win32 environment - not a
> unix one.
>
> Tibor
>
> -

-

* Re: GUI Help
@ 1997-10-14  7:14 ` Paul Prescod
From: Paul Prescod @ 1997-10-14  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ryan; +Cc: gnu-win32

Mike Ryan wrote:

> I am looking to start programming windows 95 applications, is using the
> gnu-win32 a good choice.  I want to program GUI applications like Explorer,
> or Netscape, or something along those lines.

Mike, I would say that if you want to program GUI networked apps like
Explorer and Netscape you are going to have to learn a great deal. I
would urge that the nicest "package" for learning about networked, GUI
programming is Java. If you pick up any decent Java book, you will know
how to do networked GUI programming by the end of it. Furthermore, most
of the components you need are already either built in or easily
downloadable (e.g. HTML viewers, HTTP libraries etc.). You will get "up
to speed" faster because Java is easier to program in than C++ and Java
GUIs are easier to program than the Windows API.

If you are not happy with your Java program when you are done, then you
can rewrite it in C++. At least you will already be familiar with
networking, GUI stuff, OOP and component programming. Then all you will
have to learn is C++ and the Windows API. You will know by then that you
are serious and will not be as easily discouraged as you would be if you
tackled C++ and the WINAPI directly and at the same time as everything
else.

 Paul Prescod
-

* Re: GUI Help
@ 1997-09-26  6:14 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-26  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dbrotherhood, tibor; +Cc: gnu-win32

>Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 11:43:09 -0700
>From: Tibor Polgar <tibor@alteon.com>
>To: Mike Ryan <dbrotherhood@geocities.com>
>Cc: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: Re: GUI Help
>
> > I am looking to start programming windows 95 applications, is using
the
> > gnu-win32 a good choice.  I want to program GUI applications like
Explorer,
> > or Netscape, or something along those lines.
> >
> > I have no idea how to go about doing this, and am wondering if I am
in the
> > right place.
>
>as the old line goes: "If you are in Rome do as the Romans".  Your case
is no
>different, if you're going to do GUI programing use a Win32 environment
- not a
>unix one.
>
>Tibor

Tibor,

Are you suggesting the you can't do GUI programming in UNIX?  Then what
is X or MOTIF or ...

* Re: GUI Help
@ 1997-09-26  5:04 Eric De Mund
From: Eric De Mund @ 1997-09-26  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ryan; +Cc: GNU-Win32 List

Mike,

    ]
    ] I have no idea how to go about doing this, and am wondering if I
    ] am in the right place.
    ]
    ] I have been using DJGPP and compiling C code for dos, is windows
    ] programming much different?

In the opinion of this Unix developer new to developing under Windows,
yes, it is much different. Check out one of the best introductory
documents I've come across, *Windows 95 Book FAQ*. More than just a list
of books, this page of Scott McMahan's reviews several dozen books in
depth. It lives at < http://lighthouse.softbase.com/~scott/w95book.html >
and is useful to both Windows 95 users and developers. I wish it had
been the first document I'd read upon entering the Windows world.
Sections include: Using Windows 95, Programming Windows 95, Compiler-
Specific Books, Addison-Wesley Win32 Books, The Essential Windows
Additions, and FAQS and Answers.

Regards,
Eric De Mund

"As a child I understood how to give, I have forgotten this grace since I have
become civilized." --Chief Luther Standing Bear
--
Eric De Mund <ead@ixian.com>  |  PGP Key Fingerprint:
http://www.ixian.com/ead/     |  5349b223 af6c2081 eddd4c81 aac9d1a5

* Re: GUI Help
@ 1997-09-25  4:52 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-25  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, dbrotherhood

>Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 22:38:15 -0700
>From: Mike Ryan <dbrotherhood@geocities.com>
>Subject: GUI Help
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>

>I am looking to start programming windows 95 applications, is using the
>gnu-win32 a good choice.  I want to program GUI applications like
Explorer,
>or Netscape, or something along those lines.
>
>I have no idea how to go about doing this, and am wondering if I am in
the
>right place.
>
>I have been using DJGPP and compiling C code for dos, is windows
programming
>much different?
>
>As you can see, I am pretty clueless, any help is appreciated.
>
>--
>Michael D. Ryan [Brotherhood Software] dbrotherhood@geocities.com
>Web Page:  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/5301/
>"The trouble with doing something right the first time is that
>    nobody appreciates how difficult it was."
>
>-

Let me first point you to some important documents:

Read the README.txt and faq.txt file located at
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/ .

Then take a look at the http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32 web page.
This is the mail list archive and you will be able to find the answers
to many questions.

Goodluck,

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-