* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-11-30 18:18 Peter Yeh
From: Peter Yeh @ 1997-11-30 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I second the idea of moving this mailing list to a newsgroup.

>This mailing list has so much volume that I think we would be better
>served with a newsgroup to move the traffic and to provide a FAQ.
>
>How about comp.unix.gnu-win32?
>-

-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-08 23:07 hgfernan
From: hgfernan @ 1997-12-08 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert.V.Baron, gnu-win32; +Cc: Hilton Fernandes

On  3 Dec 97 at 11:04, Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> I think the traffic is more like 20 to 30 pieces a day.  For me, the
> issue of volume is less important than quality.  I'd like to see
> several groups (news or mail), for:
>    newbies
>    programming questions
> 	 interactions with microsoft DLL's, tools
>    technical discussions
> perhaps more.  This would allow us to sort and categorize the volume
> better.

Hi, all!

I'd like to give my vote for Robert's proposal.  I'm not very sure
about the mail categories, but the idea is excellent.

That way, the signal to noise in the mailing list would be much
higher.  For instance, people that read the newbie mailing list would
be sure they would find newbie questions: newbies would be free to
post newbie questions, anyone else would answer those questions only
if they really wanted to.  Cum bona fide, some would say.

That way, probably people would team up to create the long awaited
(more complete) FAQ.

I guess that subdivision interests Cygnus too, because there would be
more focused light on their product.

Regards,
++Hilton
-------------------
Hilton Fernandes
email: hgfernan@usp.br
       hilton@lsi
www:   http://www.lsi.usp.br/~hilton.html
M. Sc. Student of Parallel Distributed Applications
at LSI (Laboratory of Integrated Systems)
University of S. Paulo - Brazil
-

* RE: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-04  7:19 GBradfor
From: GBradfor @ 1997-12-04  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On 12/3/97, Michael Anthon <anthonm@tams.com.au> at Internet wrote:

>About 10 messages in one day is not very high volume.  I am behind a
>firewall and accessing news groups is a problem for me.  I have no
>objection to a dual system, but some thought might be put into removing
>or distorting mail addresses since junk mailers that harvest news
>groups are a real problem.

10 a day!  I was gone a week and had well over 200 messages to clear out of my
box from this list alone.  I was out yesterday, and this morning I had 75
messages in my box!  Personally, I (and my mail admin) like the idea of a
newsgroup.

/s/
Pat Bradford

        Respond to:
                gbradfor@redstone.army.mil
                        AND/OR
                p_n_brad@traveller.com

From: Michael Anthon <anthonm@tams.com.au>
To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
Subject: RE: Too Much Mail Volume
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:01:19 +1000
Sender: owner-gnu-win32@cygnus.com

-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-04  6:19 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-12-04  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>From: "Paul Garceau" <pgarceau@submergedsoftware.com>
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 17:54:18 -0800
>Subject: Re: Too Much Mail Volume
>
>Greetings,
>
>On 30 Nov 97 at 12:45, the Illustrious Steven Bellenot wrote:
>

>> This mailing list has so much volume that I think we would be better
>> served with a newsgroup to move the traffic and to provide a FAQ.
>
>	I tend to agree with this...in two days I've received nearly 100
emails
>from the list.

Most of my mail from this list for the past 3 or 4 days has been this
thread.  Please, put an end to it.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-03 15:26 Robert.V.Baron
From: Robert.V.Baron @ 1997-12-03 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-12-03 15:26 vischne
From: vischne @ 1997-12-03 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Look, if you guys had any smarts, you would scrap the mail version of this
list entirely and go with the archive instead.

That way, people interested in knowing what is going on in the discussion
can tune in to the archive and not bother with their e-mail server.  You
would also add a URL for posting followups to archive articles.

-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-03  8:45 Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-12-03  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfife; +Cc: gnu-win32

>I don't see what the fuss is about with spam email and the like. Just set
>up the appropriate filters to put spam etc into a spam mailbox. Then,
>quickly scan the contents of this mailbox, read anything that looks
>interesting and delete the rest. That's what I do. The only problem I see
>with spam email is wasting Internet bandwidth.

This particular argument crops up every time someone mentions spam.
What "set up the appropriate filters" means is: Take a stab at filtering
the spam.  Then when something slips through, tinker with the filters
again.  Another one comes through?  No problem.  Just add another rule
to the filter.  Hmm.  How does that work again?  man procmailex.  Oh yeah.

Not getting any email?  Oops.  The filter was too general.  Someone
complains that they sent you mail and didn't respond?  Oh yeah.  I
haven't checked my spam mailbox in a while.

I don't care for this scenario.  YMMV.

>So, I filter this mailing list to a particular mailbox. I only read it when
>I want to.

I don't have the option of only reading email when I want to.  And, as you
mentioned, I don't particularly like any of my limited internet bandwidth
being eaten by junk email.
-

* RE: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-12-03  0:01 Michael Anthon
From: Michael Anthon @ 1997-12-03  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

About 10 messages in one day is not very high volume.  I am behind a
firewall and accessing news groups is a problem for me.  I have no
objection to a dual system, but some thought might be put into removing
or distorting mail addresses since junk mailers that harvest news groups
are a real problem.

On Wednesday, 3 December 1997 2:58, Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)
[SMTP:lhall@rfk.com] wrote:

> >> No. This isn't a high traffic mailing list compared to a lot of
other
> >> lists I am on.
> >
> >How about having someone autopost, (using some kind of elm filter),
all
> >mail which originates on this mailing list.
> >
> >Likewise any posts on newsgroup that haven't been sent on the mailing

> >list could be forwarded.
> >
> >That way anyone could subscribe to the mailing list or read the
newsgroup
> >and not miss anything.
> >
> >All we need is a person to write these two scripts, who is also
responsible
> >enough to monitor them.

> >Martin Grant                    "Fight me!" :-) -Martin
> >www.ici.net/cust_pages/mgrant   "Just call me The Doctor."
> >seer@earthling.net              "Fizban!  Where?"
>
> This is a good idea.  May I suggest someone who is interested in
seeing this
> mail list in a newsgroup pick up on this idea?  I, for one, have no
problem
> with the concept of this "group" as a mail list but I think it would
be
> beneficial to those who like the newsgroup forum better to be able to
access
> it in this form too.  This idea seems to provide that nicely without
forcing
> a complete change of forum for those that are happy with the mail
list.

> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
> 8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
> Wellesley, MA  02181
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
-

* Re: Too Much Mail Volume
@ 1997-11-30 18:35 Adam Heath
From: Adam Heath @ 1997-11-30 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)