* QueXtion about X11
@ 1998-01-25  0:44 Tim Baker
From: Tim Baker @ 1998-01-25  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I've got the b18-compiled binaries for X11r6.3 as well as the free
MicroImages MI/X server sitting on my Win95 box. But wouldn't you
know it, I don't know how to get the client apps talking to the server.

I've got Dial Up Networking, and understand I need to set the DISPLAY
variable, but I'm not sure to what. And do I need to create a new DUN
connection to call my own computer? (I only intend to run the server and
apps
on my own PC).

A long-winded question with a short answer?
Thanks for your help,
--Tim

-

* Re: QueXtion about X11
@ 1998-01-31  5:19 ` Arlindo da Silva
From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1998-01-31  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Baker; +Cc: gnu-win32

> Thanks, it works. I did read the MI/X FAQ a number of times, but
> never guessed my "machine name" correctly. Then I remembered that
> emacs displays the machine name in the title bar of the window!

You really don't need your machine name, literally

     set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

is sufficient.

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva@alum.mit.edu

-

* Re: QueXtion about X11
@ 1998-01-31  0:39 Tim Baker
From: Tim Baker @ 1998-01-31  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I wrote:
--------
> I've got the b18-compiled binaries for X11r6.3 as well as the free
> MicroImages MI/X server sitting on my Win95 box. But wouldn't you
> know it, I don't know how to get the client apps talking to the
server.

> I've got Dial Up Networking, and understand I need to set the DISPLAY
> variable, but I'm not sure to what. And do I need to create a new DUN
> connection to call my own computer? (I only intend to run the server
and
> apps on my own PC).
>
> A long-winded question with a short answer?
> Thanks for your help,
> --Tim

-

* RE: QueXtion about X11
@ 1998-01-30 11:50 Rob Warner
From: Rob Warner @ 1998-01-30 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On Friday, January 30, 1998 2:48 PM, Arlindo da Silva
[SMTP:arlindo@niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov] wrote:

> > I've got Dial Up Networking, and understand I need to set the
> > DISPLAY
> > variable, but I'm not sure to what.
>
> set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
[snip]

Call me dumb, but I just use :0.0 - I thought specifying a hostname
caused it to try & route the X packets & omitting it makes things
slightly faster.  Or have I missed the point again?

cheers,

Rob

-

* Re: QueXtion about X11
@ 1998-01-30  7:08 ` Derek Karnes
From: Derek Karnes @ 1998-01-30  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Baker, gnu-win32

Set DISPLAY equal to your IP, witha :0 on the end.
i.e.
DISPLAY=42.4.2.42:0
in your environment.
Or you can set it to your_machine_name:0.0.

Nothing under Dial Up Networking should need to be changed, wether you use it
locally or across a network.

You might also want to check out the Mix_faq.txt file that should've come
with the server executable.

Tim Baker wrote:

> I've got the b18-compiled binaries for X11r6.3 as well as the free
> MicroImages MI/X server sitting on my Win95 box. But wouldn't you
> know it, I don't know how to get the client apps talking to the server.
>
> I've got Dial Up Networking, and understand I need to set the DISPLAY
> variable, but I'm not sure to what. And do I need to create a new DUN
> connection to call my own computer? (I only intend to run the server and
>
> apps on my own PC).
>
> A long-winded question with a short answer?
> Thanks for your help,
> --Tim
>
> -

* Re: QueXtion about X11
@ 1998-01-30  6:45 ` Arlindo da Silva
From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1998-01-30  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Baker; +Cc: gnu-win32

> I've got Dial Up Networking, and understand I need to set the DISPLAY
> variable, but I'm not sure to what.

set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

> And do I need to create a new DUN
> connection to call my own computer? (I only intend to run the server and
> apps on my own PC).

No need to dial-up.

--
Arlindo da Silva