* Re: Windows 98
@ 1998-07-09 19:48 Fred Reimer
From: Fred Reimer @ 1998-07-09 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Bandy, gnu-win32

Yes, no problems that I can detect at this point with win98 specific causes.
I'm rather new to cygwin, so can't give a full endorsement (although I've
had a lot of experience porting Unix code around).

My main problem now is that I'm using the link-compatible egcs with the
Platform SDK from Microsoft and I don't think egcs like's the "interface"
stuff for COM and DirectX.  "Normal" programs seem to compile fine though.

NOTE: If you're having problems with the Platform SDK you didn't read the
docs that came with it.  MS changed the format of the import libraries and
you have to use their link.exe to convert them back to the "old" format
before link-compat-egcs can read them.  TO do this you will have to get a
dll that is missing from the Platform SDK where the new link.exe is.  I got
it by downloading all 90 something megs of the VC++ service pack and
extracting it.  I think it's MSPDB50.DLL.

Anyone have any clues for the "interface" problem?

Fred

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 1998-07-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Fred,

Fred Reimer wrote:
> My main problem now is that I'm using the link-compatible egcs with the
> Platform SDK from Microsoft and I don't think egcs like's the "interface"
> stuff for COM and DirectX.  "Normal" programs seem to compile fine though.
> Anyone have any clues for the "interface" problem?

Not sure what you're problems actually are.

For background:

C++-style COM objects don't work with g++ currently AFAIK. To do that,
g++ would need to change it's internal object layout to be
COM-compatible. I once looked into the code that g++ generates for
objects, and it looks like adaptation of the g++ object layout to COM
should be possible as a variation of the vtable-thunks configuration.

C-style COM objects are very clumsy to use, but they actually should
work. They possibly need a bit of work in the headers in basic macros.
Haven't tried it, but there is no reason why this should not be
possible.

so long, benny

* Windows 98
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Svend Erik Fjord
From: Svend Erik Fjord @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'
  Cc: Svend Erik Fjord, Bjarne Christensen

Title: Windows 98

when you use bash under Win98 (Cygwin) you can not use the arrow keys ( →,← , ↑ , ↓ ) (to scroll between commands) - why

with compliments

Svend Erik Fjord
Software Engineer
Lyngsø-Industri A/S
Lyngsø Alle 3.
9600 Aars
Denmark
Phone: +45 96 980 980     Phone(direct): +45 96 980 931
Fax: +45 98 622 394
Email:  sef@lyngso-industri.dk
Home: http://www.lyngso-industri.dk

* Windows 98
@ 1999-09-16  2:57 Svend Erik Fjord
From: Svend Erik Fjord @ 1999-09-16  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin AT sourceware.cygnus.com'; +Cc: Svend Erik Fjord

Title: Windows 98

when you use bash under Win98 (Cygwin) you can not use the arrow keys ( →,← , ↑ , ↓ ) (to scroll between commands) - why

with compliments

Svend Erik Fjord
Software Engineer
Lyngsø-Industri A/S
Lyngsø Alle 3.
9600 Aars
Denmark
Phone: +45 96 980 980     Phone(direct): +45 96 980 931
Fax: +45 98 622 394
Email:  sef@lyngso-industri.dk
Home: http://www.lyngso-industri.dk

* RE: Windows 98
@ 1998-07-10 16:03 Robin Crampton
From: Robin Crampton @ 1998-07-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bandy, gnu-win32, jccho

>i use win98 beta korean version..
[snip]
>when i used win95, cygnuwin32 kills os freguetly..(i dont'n know causes)
[snip]
>thesedays, explicitly win95's hanging disapeared...

From the FAQ:

Windows 95 freezing up
the USB patch is available from

I guess Windows 98 comes with this "as standard".

-

* Re: Windows 98
@ 1998-07-09 19:48 Tom & Philippa Jarecki
From: Tom & Philippa Jarecki @ 1998-07-09 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi

I'm a bit in the dark with what my installation actually does but I am
running Win98 and Cygwin B19.1 to recreate my school's unix environment and
no problems so far.  However, if I try to use the Cygwin icon created by the
Cygwin installation - :-(( - all hell breaks loose (I couldn't run it that
way under Win95 either).  Instead, I run tcsh as my emulated xterm window
(using a tcsh.pif startup file) and all the other stuff works fine (ie g++,
emacs etc).

Regards
Tom Jarecki
wordrite@direct.ca
Computer Science
The University of British Columbia
>Is anybody running Cygwin under Windows 98?  Any problems going from Win
>95 to Win 98 that I might want to look out for w.r.t. Cygwin?
>
>--
>Mike Bandy
>michael.bandy@jhuapl.edu    |  If you go into a situation with nothing
>Johns Hopkins University    |  planned, sometimes wonderful stuff happens.
>Applied Physics Laboratory  |   -Jerry Garcia
>
>-

-

* RE: Windows 98
@ 1998-07-09 11:18 Marcus Brown
From: Marcus Brown @ 1998-07-09 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
Is anybody running Cygwin under Windows 98?  Any problems going from Win

95 to Win 98 that I might want to look out for w.r.t. Cygwin?

--

Mike,

I have just installed Cygwin32 B19 on a Win98 box (P133, 48M) and so far
all of the "standard" installation stuff has gone o.k.  I'll post if
anything out of the ordinary comes up.

Marcus
-

* Re: Windows 98
@ 1998-07-09 10:49   ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1998-07-09 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Bandy, gnu-win32

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 11:52:16AM -0400, Mike Bandy wrote:

> Is anybody running Cygwin under Windows 98?  Any problems going from Win
> 95 to Win 98 that I might want to look out for w.r.t. Cygwin?

The current development snapshot knows how to identify Windows 98 and
currently treats it identically to Windows 95 internally.

In Beta 19, some checks are for NT and others are for Windows 95.
Therefore, Windows 98 may not always execute the right code in that
version.

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

* RE: Windows 98
@ 1998-07-09  6:13 Marcus Brown
From: Marcus Brown @ 1998-07-09  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-07-09  5:49 조재철
From: 조재철 @ 1998-07-09  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Bandy, gnu-win32

i use win98 beta korean version..

when i used win95, cygnuwin32 kills os freguetly..(i dont'n know causes)

thesedays, explicitly win95's hanging disapeared...

-----¿øº» ¸Þ½ÃÁö-----
º¸³½ »ç¶÷: Mike Bandy <bandy@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu>
¹Þ´Â »ç¶÷: gnu-win32@cygnus.com <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
³¯Â¥: 1998³â 7¿ù 9ÀÏ ¸ñ¿äÀÏ ¿ÀÈÄ 2:20
Á¦¸ñ: Windows 98

>Is anybody running Cygwin under Windows 98?  Any problems going from Win
>95 to Win 98 that I might want to look out for w.r.t. Cygwin?
>
>--
>Mike Bandy
>michael.bandy@jhuapl.edu    |  If you go into a situation with nothing
>Johns Hopkins University    |  planned, sometimes wonderful stuff happens.
>Applied Physics Laboratory  |   -Jerry Garcia
>
>-
-

* Windows 98
@ 1998-07-07 13:26 ` Mike Bandy