Hi! Am Sa., 08.Apr..2023 um 10:30:47 schrieb Andrey Repin: > Greetings, Thomas Schweikle! > >> Is it possible to have the same home for Windows and cygwin? > > See /etc/nsswitch.conf and https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch > >> Using "C:\Users\" for Cygwin home setting mount points for users? > > I don't get this question. Can you please rephrase? I've tried to set C:/Users /home ntfs binary,posix=0,nouser 0 0 Then have "C:/Users/..." and "/home/..." the same. Did not work this way. Starting some shell got cygwin exhaust "Could not create "/home/" -- true: the directory was there already, but cygwin did not notice. Can't tell why. I could switch to /home/, while cygwin couldn't setting $HOME to /tmp. I had success with mklink /D C:\cygwin\home C:\Users and then setting /etc/nsswitch.conf to db_home: /home/%U this did the trick: cygwin starting a shell works now as expected. One last problem: the owner of the files was not the one expected. Could change him to the expected one using windows tools. The remaining problems are all git related: git seems to have problems creating symlinks for clones. Maybe this is just a case enabling privileges via GPO for users needing them. Looks like some sources fail to compile if symlinks are not available. >> Or is this a bad idea? Or is it something which has some drawbacks you've >> to decide to live with? At the moment the most ugly drawback is duplication >> of various data needed within "C:\cygwin\home\" and "C:\Users\". >> Would be nice if I could overlay both. > > There's some caveats to using %USERPROFILE% as $HOME, most notable, you have > to be careful with overly sensitive programs, like SSH or GPG. Other than > that, the noacl flag on the cygdrive mount will cover you for the time being. > I.e.: This was why I tried to mount C:\Users to /home, having two identical directories making ssh, gpg and others happy. >>> none /cygdrive cygdrive noacl,binary,nouser,posix=0 0 0 > > And usertemp idea is also a good one: > >>> none /tmp usertemp binary,nouser,posix=0 0 0 This was helpful. It is a little bit problematic switching users, but it is lots better than having a global /tmp for all users. -- Thomas