From: Eliot Moss <moss@cs.umass.edu>
To: Fergus Daly <fergusd84@outlook.com>,
	"'cygwin@cygwin.com'" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Trouble with setting ini files : gnuplot and vi
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 09:07:25 -0500	[thread overview]

On 12/21/2020 8:36 AM, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
> Despite best efforts I cannot find a way of setting user preferences for vi (e.g. preferred syntax-sensitive settings)
> and gnuplot (e.g. preferred line colours / thickness).
> I have tried editing /etc/vimrc, /etc/virc for vi; and /etc/X11/app-defaults/Gnuplot for gnuplot accordingly.
> (I use gnuplot-x11.) No change from standard representation.
> Any ideas?

The first thing I would check is whether you have an individual ~/.virc or ~/.gnuplot file that is
overriding the settings of interest.  For gnuplot, at least, the man page says that its "show
loadpath" command will indicate where it looks for gnuplotrc.  On my system that is
/usr/share/gnuplot/5.4/.  Since my gnuplot offers x11 for "set term", I think I'm looking at the
right thing, but if gnuplot-x11 is truly different, then maybe try the "show loadpath" command for
it.  I don't have vi installed (only vim) so I can't speak to that.

The next thing I would check are the various permissions, to make sure the program can actually read
the file(s) in question.

Maybe you have done all this, in which case I'm sorry my ideas were not helpful ...

Best wishes - Eliot Moss