* less, misbehaving
@ 1998-09-28 19:50 Charles Wilson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Wilson @ 1998-09-28 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I'm having some wierd problems with less, and I don't know if it's my
environment settings, or my ncurses library, or what. I'm using less
v332 from andy's local.tar.

Less operates as expected, until I try to view a file with less than a
full screen of data. If I execute 'less shortfile', the file is
displayed in the terminal window, followed by the message: '[1]+
Stopped    less shortfile'

From that point on, all (?) interactive console mode programs misbehave.
When invoking less on a file with _more_ than a full screen of data,
e.g. 'less longfile', the first screen worth of data is displayed
followed by '[2]+ Stopped    less longfile'. (This identical command
worked fine _before_ my 'mistake' with shortfile)  Ditto with vi, or
hexedit. I can always bring the executable back to the foreground, and
things seem to work okay after that, but this is annoying.

Does anybody know what's going on? My cygwin variable is 'tty notitle
ntea binmode'

--Chuck Wilson

-

* Re: less, misbehaving
@ 1998-10-02  9:47 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-10-02  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, gnu-win32

What TERM setting are you using?

It is suggested that you `export TERM=linux'.

There are other ports of less, check my web page at
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32

---Charles Wilson <cwilson@ee.gatech.edu> wrote:

> This problem is the only thing delaying a full rollout of gnu-win at
my
> workplace. Can anybody help?
>
> Charles Wilson wrote:
>
> > I'm having some wierd problems with less, and I don't know if it's
my
> > environment settings, or my ncurses library, or what. I'm using less
> > v332 from andy's local.tar.
> >
> > Less operates as expected, until I try to view a file with less
than a
> > full screen of data. If I execute 'less shortfile', the file is
> > displayed in the terminal window, followed by the message: '[1]+
> > Stopped    less shortfile'
> >
> > >From that point on, all (?) interactive console mode programs
misbehave.
> > When invoking less on a file with _more_ than a full screen of data,
> > e.g. 'less longfile', the first screen worth of data is displayed
> > followed by '[2]+ Stopped    less longfile'. (This identical command
> > worked fine _before_ my 'mistake' with shortfile)  Ditto with vi, or
> > hexedit. I can always bring the executable back to the foreground,
and
> > things seem to work okay after that, but this is annoying.
> >
> > Does anybody know what's going on? My cygwin variable is 'tty
notitle
> > ntea binmode'
> >
> > --Chuck Wilson
>
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a
message to

==
-                \\||//

* RE: less, misbehaving
@ 1998-10-08  4:08 Parker, Ron
From: Parker, Ron @ 1998-10-08  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Noer, Charles Wilson; +Cc: gnu-win32

If my /bin/sh is not bash, I get this behavior during some configures or
builds.

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-10-08 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, gnu-win32

The modified bash on Sergey's site only spawns if there is no piping
or no redirection.  The problem is that the spawnve() command is
issued with the _P_NOWAIT flag which will not allow less to control
the stdio.  If this were changed to _P_WAIT then you shouldn't see any
problems with less.  Also, it would be a good idea to flushall()
before spawning.

BTW, since `cat file | less' didn't use the spawnve() it worked as it
should have.

==