* Bash: <test -w file> = true for a read-only file !!!
@ 1998-10-08  8:26 Laurent Ricci
From: Laurent Ricci @ 1998-10-08  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi B19 developers,

The test -w doesn't work on windows and unix files !!!

If I perform the following statement on a read-only file
MyReadOnlyFile, the result is <Is writable> !!!

    if [-w MyReadOnlyFile ]
    then
        echo "Is writable"
    else
        echo "Is readonly"
    fi

My gnu-win32 beta release is:
uname -a : CYGWIN32_NT GLOBBY10 4.0 19.1 i686 unknown

Thanks for help or for patch...

bye

---

Laurent Ricci
Workstation ag
tel: ++(41 21) 925 88 37
fax: ++(41 21) 925 88 01
e-mail: lri@wag.ch
-

* Re:  Bash: <test -w file> = true for a read-only file !!!
@ 1998-10-09 11:14 Joseph Banta
From: Joseph Banta @ 1998-10-09 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gnu-win32@cygnus.com'

Laurent Ricci (lri@wag.ch) wrote:

> If I perform the following statement on a read-only file MyReadOnlyFile, the result is !!!
> if [-w MyReadOnlyFile ]
>  then
>  	echo "Is writable"
> else
>  	echo "Is readonly"
> fi

I have noticed this too, and that 'sh' and 'bash' will often return different results from
the same test.  I guess the answer is to get the best copy of sh / bash from one of the
primary hackers here and use it as both sh and bash.

Anyone have a better answer?

Joseph Banta

-