* *** missing separator.  Stop. error when running make
@ 1998-10-14  7:39 Alexei Karpov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alexei Karpov @ 1998-10-14  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi,

    My makefile has string which contain ( f.e. ) next text :
echo I do not know why it's does not work.
When I run make utility I get next error : *** missing separator.  Stop.

Under Unix it works properly, why it does not work
under CygWin32. May be anybody has ever had the
same error.

I use :
GNU Make version 3.75-B19, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Thanks a lot,

--
Alexei Karpov
SONY Platform Software Development Center - Belgium ( PSDC- B )

" There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and
  the only other life is complete rejection of the rules... "

-

* Re: *** missing separator.  Stop. error when running make
@ 1998-10-15 14:17 ` Alex Rezinsky
From: Alex Rezinsky @ 1998-10-15 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexei Karpov; +Cc: gnu-win32

Hi,

Alexei Karpov wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     My makefile has string which contain ( f.e. ) next text :
> echo I do not know why it's does not work.
> When I run make utility I get next error : *** missing separator.  Stop.

Try two things:

1. Make sure you use only TAB symbols and not spaces in action lines.

2. Change your example string like that:
echo "I do not know why it's does not work."

Alex Rezinsky
Motorola Semiconductor Israel
alexr@msil.sps.mot.com

-

* Re: *** missing separator.  Stop. error when running make
@ 1998-10-15 21:47 ` Stephen Vance
From: Stephen Vance @ 1998-10-15 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexei Karpov; +Cc: gnu-win32

Alexei Karpov wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     My makefile has string which contain ( f.e. ) next text :
> echo I do not know why it's does not work.
> When I run make utility I get next error : *** missing separator.  Stop.
>
> Under Unix it works properly, why it does not work
> under CygWin32. May be anybody has ever had the
> same error.
>
> I use :
> GNU Make version 3.75-B19, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
> Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96
>         Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Thanks a lot,

This comes up frequently.

Either you have spaces instead of a tab before your command lines

OR

Your makefile has carriage returns at the end of some of the lines.

--
Stephen Vance                           |  http://www.deneb.com
Deneb Robotics, Inc.                    |  mailto:vance@deneb.com

What is done well is done quickly enough. -Augustus Caesar

-

* Re: *** missing separator.  Stop. error when running make
@ 1998-10-15 21:47 ` Alexander V. Sulima
From: Alexander V. Sulima @ 1998-10-15 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexei Karpov; +Cc: gnu-win32

Hello!

Unde Linux it not work.
Also not work echo main(){} but work echo "main(){}"

Alexei Karpov wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     My makefile has string which contain ( f.e. ) next text :
> echo I do not know why it's does not work.
> When I run make utility I get next error : *** missing separator.  Stop.
>
> Under Unix it works properly, why it does not work
> under CygWin32. May be anybody has ever had the
> same error.
>
> I use :
> GNU Make version 3.75-B19, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
> Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96
>         Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> --
> Alexei Karpov
> SONY Platform Software Development Center - Belgium ( PSDC- B )
> Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 ( Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne )
> 1130 Brussel ( Bruxelles ), Belgium, Europe, Earth
> Tel.  : +32 2 724.86.50
> Fax   : +32 2 726.26.86
> E-mail: Alexei.Karpov@sonycom.com
>
> " There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and
>   the only other life is complete rejection of the rules... "
>
> -
WBR,
/sancho
-

* Re: *** missing separator.  Stop. error when running make
@ 1998-10-16 15:27   ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1998-10-16 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Rezinsky; +Cc: Alexei Karpov, gnu-win32

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 09:24:02AM -0500, Alex Rezinsky wrote:

> >     My makefile has string which contain ( f.e. ) next text :
> > echo I do not know why it's does not work.
> > When I run make utility I get next error : *** missing separator.  Stop.
>
> Try two things:
>
> 1. Make sure you use only TAB symbols and not spaces in action lines.

Added to the future b20 FAQ.

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

* Re: *** missing separator.  Stop. error when running make
@ 1998-10-17 10:00     ` David Fox
From: David Fox @ 1998-10-17 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Noer; +Cc: Alex Rezinsky, Alexei Karpov, gnu-win32

Geoffrey Noer <noer@cygnus.com> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 09:24:02AM -0500, Alex Rezinsky wrote:
> > >
> > >     My makefile has string which contain ( f.e. ) next text :
> > > echo I do not know why it's does not work.
> > > When I run make utility I get next error : *** missing separator.  Stop.
> >
> > Try two things:
> >
> > 1. Make sure you use only TAB symbols and not spaces in action lines.
>
> Added to the future b20 FAQ.

You can get this error when your makefile gets converted to DOS text.
This seems like the likely problem, since the file works under unix.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

* RE: *** missing separator.  Stop. error when running make
@ 1998-10-16 21:54 TOMMY REYNOLDS
From: TOMMY REYNOLDS @ 1998-10-16 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Alexei Karpov', 'John Archer'
  Cc: 'gnu-win32@cygnus.com'

The problem can be more subtle than this.  If only *SOME* of your
directories
are mounted as binary (such as "/tmp") then CYGWIN32 can get confused
about
the desired format of a text file if a temporary file must be created.
It's safest to
either mount all directories as binary or mount none of them as binary.

Tommy Reynolds
ADTRAN, INC / 901 Explorer Blvd. / Huntsville AL 35806 USA
Phone: +1.800.9ADTRAN / +1.256.963.6989
>	>>My makefile has string which contain ( f.e. ) next text :
>	>>echo I do not know why it's does not work.
>	>>When I run make utility I get next error : *** missing
>separator.  Stop.
>
>	>>Under Unix it works properly, why it does not work
>	>>under CygWin32. May be anybody has ever had the
>	>>same error.
>
>I get this problem if I have inadvertently used a text editor that
>replaces tab characters with spaces.
>Putting the tab characters back again, solves the problem.
>
>John Archer
>

>-

-

* RE: *** missing separator.  Stop. error when running make
@ 1998-10-15  6:45 John Archer
From: John Archer @ 1998-10-15  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexei Karpov; +Cc: gnu-win32

Hi