* Re: [PB] "no acceptable ld" : cywin32 pb, way to handle win path ?
@ 1999-02-23  4:11 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-23  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: automake, Sebastien Barre; +Cc: cygwin

If I remember correctly; Geoffrey Noer mentioned last month, that it was
a Cgywin issue not automake.  Perhaps the problem will be fixed in the
next release of Cygwin.

Suhaib

From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 1999-02-23  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: automake, Sebastien Barre, cygwin

"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:

> If I remember correctly; Geoffrey Noer mentioned last month, that it was
> a Cgywin issue not automake.  Perhaps the problem will be fixed in the
> next release of Cygwin.
>
> Suhaib

Yes,  the root of the problem is that 'gcc --print-prog-path=ld' gives a
win32 path (under cygwin), and I think it is this that the cygwin folks
plan to fix.

Cheers,
	Gary.

* Re: [PB] "no acceptable ld" : cywin32 pb, way to handle win path ?
       [not found]   ` < 36D2A59D.603BF54E@oranda.demon.co.uk >
@ 1999-02-23  8:39     ` Mumit Khan
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-23  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary V. Vaughan; +Cc: cygwin

"Gary V. Vaughan" <gvaughan@oranda.demon.co.uk> writes:
> "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:
> >
> > If I remember correctly; Geoffrey Noer mentioned last month, that it was
> > a Cgywin issue not automake.  Perhaps the problem will be fixed in the
> > next release of Cygwin.
> >
> > Suhaib
>
> Yes,  the root of the problem is that 'gcc --print-prog-path=ld' gives a
> win32 path (under cygwin), and I think it is this that the cygwin folks
> plan to fix.

EGCS-1.1.1 (from my site) produce forward slashes, albeit with a drive
specifier. EGCS-1.1.2 will do the same, and the changes are now in the
dev branch. Does this still pose a problem for libtool (other than the
issue of executable file extensions, which I believe you've fixed
already)?

I've lobbied unsuccessfully to get GCC et al to use POSIX-only pathnames.
The only rationale for using the current scheme is if GCC execs a native
program, but currently that's not the case and will not be in the near
foreseeable future.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: [PB] "no acceptable ld" : cywin32 pb, way to handle win path ?
@ 1999-02-23  8:54       ` Gary V. Vaughan
       [not found]         ` < 36D2DCFF.54E5B41F@oranda.demon.co.uk >
       [not found]       ` < 199902231639.KAA04761@modi.xraylith.wisc.edu >
From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 1999-02-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin, Libtool List

Mumit Khan wrote:

> "Gary V. Vaughan" <gvaughan@oranda.demon.co.uk> writes:
> > "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" wrote:
> > >
> > > If I remember correctly; Geoffrey Noer mentioned last month, that it was
> > > a Cgywin issue not automake.  Perhaps the problem will be fixed in the
> > > next release of Cygwin.
> > >
> > > Suhaib
> >
> > Yes,  the root of the problem is that 'gcc --print-prog-path=ld' gives a
> > win32 path (under cygwin), and I think it is this that the cygwin folks
> > plan to fix.
>
> EGCS-1.1.1 (from my site) produce forward slashes, albeit with a drive
> specifier. EGCS-1.1.2 will do the same, and the changes are now in the
> dev branch. Does this still pose a problem for libtool (other than the
> issue of executable file extensions, which I believe you've fixed
> already)?
>
> I've lobbied unsuccessfully to get GCC et al to use POSIX-only pathnames.
> The only rationale for using the current scheme is if GCC execs a native
> program, but currently that's not the case and will not be in the near
> foreseeable future.
>
> Regards,
> Mumit

Not a problem as such, just a change.  The current libtool converts to
UNC paths which I understand are no longer supported in winsup
snapshots, so I need to rejig the code a bit more.

The main problem is that libtool is trying to support b18->b20.2, and
the only way to do that with a single mechanism is to convert to
<drive>:/forward/slash/separated/path/to/ld and hope that all the other
tools in the chain (for all supported versions of cygwin) will
understand the <drive>: part of the path.

Cheers,
	Gary.

@ 1999-02-23  9:13         ` DJ Delorie
       [not found]           ` < 199902231713.MAA11397@envy.delorie.com >
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-02-23  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: khan; +Cc: cygwin

> I've lobbied unsuccessfully to get GCC et al to use POSIX-only pathnames.

No, you were successful.  We submitted a patch to do that a while ago,
and it should have gotten into egcs by now.  Please let me know if it
isn't in the recent egcs snapshots.

@ 1999-02-23 14:16             ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-23 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, DJ Delorie wrote:

> No, you were successful.  We submitted a patch to do that a while ago,
> and it should have gotten into egcs by now.  Please let me know if it
> isn't in the recent egcs snapshots.

Only partially. Geoffrey's patch simply turns the directory separator
from '\' to '/', but only after translating the path to win32 native,
which now looks like 'c:/tmp/foo/bar' etc. Btw, I have a followup to
the patch, committed to the egcs dev branch, that fixes a small oversight
in Geoffrey's patch.

Out of the two possible extremes -- win32 only and POSIX only -- this is
a reasonable compromise, but it does defeat some of my mounting strategies.

We'll still have occasional problems in dealing with configuration tools
that have trouble with ':' in pathnames (I have a few home-grown ones that
do have this problem), and these will get fixed over time.

Regards,
Mumit

@ 1999-02-25 23:04           ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-02-25 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary V. Vaughan; +Cc: Mumit Khan, cygwin, Libtool List

On Tue, Feb 23, 1999, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
[...]
> Not a problem as such, just a change.  The current libtool converts to
> UNC paths which I understand are no longer supported in winsup
> snapshots, so I need to rejig the code a bit more.

This shouldn't be the case.  //<drive-letter>/ support (which
conflicts with UNC support for machine names of one letter) will be
going away but we definitely intend to continue to support UNC path
names.

If UNC support is broken in current snapshots, please let me know...

--
Geoffrey Noer		Email: noer@cygnus.com
Cygnus Solutions

* Re: [PB] "no acceptable ld" : cywin32 pb, way to handle win path ?
@ 1999-02-28 23:02               ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02         ` Gary V. Vaughan
From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin, Libtool List

From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: automake, Sebastien Barre, cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi

@ 1999-02-28 23:02             ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary V. Vaughan; +Cc: Mumit Khan, cygwin, Libtool List

@ 1999-02-28 23:02           ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: khan; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02       ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary V. Vaughan; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Geoffrey Noer', Gary V. Vaughan; +Cc: Mumit Khan, cygwin, Libtool List

Gary, I think you were saying that libtool converts drive:/path to
//drive/path? this is not UNC, but some a bit crazy (because it forbids
one letter machine names, and cause network timeouts if you refer to an
unexisting drive, like //A/ if the floppy is not inserted) cygwin
convention. This convention is now becoming obsolete and is no more
supported in current snapshot, and replaced by /cygdrive/drive/path
(with cygdrive configurable in the registry).

HTH

	Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingéniérie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE
FRANCE
Tel:	+33 (0) 1 47 68 80 80
Fax:	+33 (0) 1 47 88 97 85
e-mail:	dautrevaux@microprocess.com
		b.dautrevaux@usa.net

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary V. Vaughan; +Cc: automake, Sebastien Barre, cygwin

>> If I remember correctly; Geoffrey Noer mentioned last month, that it
was
>> a Cgywin issue not automake.  Perhaps the problem will be fixed in
the
>> next release of Cygwin.
>>
>> Suhaib
>
>Yes,  the root of the problem is that 'gcc --print-prog-path=ld' gives
>win32 path (under cygwin), and I think it is this that the cygwin folks
>plan to fix.

Yes, you are correct.  That is what Geof also mentioned. For now
hard-coding the ld path
in configure scripts work.

Suhaib

From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Barre; +Cc: automake, cygwin

I should have cross-posted this to the cygwin list:

	http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1999-02/msg00707.html

Cheers,
	Gary V. Vaughan

From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Dautrevaux
  Cc: 'Geoffrey Noer', Mumit Khan, cygwin, Libtool List

Bernard Dautrevaux <DAUTREVAUX@microprocess.com> writes:

> [...]

Yes, my bad.  Thanks for the clarification.  I plan to use
drive:/path/to/executable before the next libtool release.

Cheers,
	Gary.

--
  ___              _   ___   __              _
 / __|__ _ _ ___ _| | / / | / /_ _ _  _ __ _| |_  __ _ ___
| (_ / _` | '_|// / |/ /| |/ / _` | || / _` | ' \/ _` | _ \
 \___\__,_|_|\_, /|___(_)___/\__,_|\_,_\__, |_||_\__,_|//_/
PGP Key from/___/                      /___/
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/PGP/pks-commands.html#extract
http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-commands.html#extract

* [PB] "no acceptable ld" : cywin32 pb, way to handle win path ?
@ 1999-02-28 23:02                           ` Sebastien Barre
From: Sebastien Barre @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: automake; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-02-26  3:51 ` Gary V. Vaughan
From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 1999-02-26  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Dautrevaux
  Cc: 'Geoffrey Noer', Mumit Khan, cygwin, Libtool List

Bernard Dautrevaux <DAUTREVAUX@microprocess.com> writes:

 \___\__,_|_|\_, /|___(_)___/\__,_|\_,_\__, |_||_\__,_|//_/

@ 1999-02-26  2:32 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 1999-02-26  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Geoffrey Noer', Gary V. Vaughan; +Cc: Mumit Khan, cygwin, Libtool List

@ 1999-02-23  5:01 Suhaib M. Siddiqi