* RPC : clnt_create_timed
@ 1999-03-03  0:47 Geoff Hayward
From: Geoff Hayward @ 1999-03-03  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I have been given the Sun RPC source (sunrpc-40.cygwin1.src.tar) and
compiled this on my NT machine under cygwin.

When I try to compile under cygwin applications that have been written
on Sun machines some of the functions are not found (e.g. clnt_create is

fine but clnt_create_timed is not found).

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

    Geoff.

--
Geoff Hayward
Switching Test Solutions AG,        Email: geoff.hayward@stest.ch

* Re: RPC : clnt_create_timed
@ 1999-03-04  6:09 ` Corinna Vinschen
       [not found]   ` <36DE98BC.FAE753DE@stest.ch>
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-04  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Hayward; +Cc: cygwin

Geoff Hayward wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been given the Sun RPC source (sunrpc-40.cygwin1.src.tar) and
> compiled this on my NT machine under cygwin.
>
> When I try to compile under cygwin applications that have been written
> on Sun machines some of the functions are not found (e.g. clnt_create is
>
> fine but clnt_create_timed is not found).
>
> Any suggestions ?

The forementioned function `clnt_create_timed' is not part of the SUN RPC
package. Are you sure, that this function is part of RPC on the SUN
machine or is it already a function, which is used by an RPC application?
I'm asking, because `timed' is not a typical RPC application, you know?

Regards,
Corinna

* Re: RPC : clnt_create_timed
       [not found]   ` <36DE98BC.FAE753DE@stest.ch>
@ 1999-03-04  8:27     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-04  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Hayward, cygwin

Geoff Hayward wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > The forementioned function `clnt_create_timed' is not part of the SUN RPC
> > package. Are you sure, that this function is part of RPC on the SUN
> > machine or is it already a function, which is used by an RPC application?
> > I'm asking, because `timed' is not a typical RPC application, you know?
>
> It has a man page and is declared in rpc/clnt.h on my SUN machine so I
> assumed
> it was part of the package. It is the same as clnt_create but takes an extra
> timeout
> parameter specifying the maximum amount of time allowed for each transport
> class
> tried.

It seems to be a newer version of sunrpc. Could you find out the
version? Is it possible, that this version only exists on SUNs?
I'm very interested!

Corinna

* Re: RPC : clnt_create_timed
@ 1999-03-05  2:32       ` Geoff Hayward
From: Geoff Hayward @ 1999-03-05  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Geoff Hayward wrote:
> >
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > > The forementioned function `clnt_create_timed' is not part of the SUN RPC
> > > package. Are you sure, that this function is part of RPC on the SUN
> > > machine or is it already a function, which is used by an RPC application?
> > > I'm asking, because `timed' is not a typical RPC application, you know?
> >
> > It has a man page and is declared in rpc/clnt.h on my SUN machine so I
> > assumed
> > it was part of the package. It is the same as clnt_create but takes an extra
> > timeout
> > parameter specifying the maximum amount of time allowed for each transport
> > class
> > tried.
>
> It seems to be a newer version of sunrpc. Could you find out the
> version? Is it possible, that this version only exists on SUNs?
> I'm very interested!

Well, everyone here seems to think that it is version 4.0. Anyway it is the
version
that comes with Sparc SunOS 5.5.1.

Geoff.

--

@ 1999-03-31 19:45       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Hayward, cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Geoff Hayward

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Hayward; +Cc: cygwin

From: Geoff Hayward @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: Geoff Hayward, cygwin

>Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>>
>> According to my knowledge, the SUNRPC is still version 4.0 on Sparc and
>> Solaris.  Did you download the code from ftp://playground.sun.com ?  If
>> so it is the same source code which Sun perhaps uses with its Sparc and
>> Solaris.
>
>I don't know anymore, from where I have downloaded it, but now I have taken
>a look into the file ` ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/rpc/rpcsrc_40.tar.Z '.
It's
>identical to the one I downloaded once. It doesn't contain a function
>`clnt_create_timed()'. rpcsrc-4.0 is from SunOS 4.0.
>
>There is another RPC implemetation in the directory
`//playground.sun.com/pub/rpc',
>which is called the `transport independent' variant. The last version on
the
>server is `tirpcsrc2.3.tar.Z'. This is the version used on Solaris 2.3.
>This version doesn't contain the function `clnt_create_timed()', too!

Corinna,

You defintely know more about RPC code.  All I meant that I saw those errors
in my core file.  I did not say it came from rpc.h.  I am sorry for not
being very clear. It very well may have been from the source code I used to
link to your librpclib.a.  I did not investigated.

This afternoon I did check rpc header files on my IRIX 6.5.  SGI uses the
same RPC which Sun uses on Solaris and SPARC under license (I assume) and I
also did not find a clnt_create_timed() in any header files under
/include/rpc directory.  The rpc library on SGI is called libsun.a

>Regards,
>Corinna

* Re: RPC : clnt_create_timed
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Geoff Hayward
From: Geoff Hayward @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> The forementioned function `clnt_create_timed' is not part of the SUN
RPC
> package. Are you sure, that this function is part of RPC on the SUN
> machine or is it already a function, which is used by an RPC
application?
> I'm asking, because `timed' is not a typical RPC application, you
know?

It has a man page and is declared in rpc/clnt.h on my SUN machine so I
assumed it was part of the package. It is the same as clnt_create but
takes an extra timeout parameter specifying the maximum amount of
time allowed for each transport class tried.

Cheers,

    Geoff.

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: Geoff Hayward, cygwin

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Hayward, cygwin

>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>> The forementioned function `clnt_create_timed' is not part of the SUN
>RPC
>> package. Are you sure, that this function is part of RPC on the SUN
>> machine or is it already a function, which is used by an RPC
>application?
>> I'm asking, because `timed' is not a typical RPC application, you
>know?
>
>It has a man page and is declared in rpc/clnt.h on my SUN machine so I
>assumed it was part of the package. It is the same as clnt_create but
>takes an extra timeout parameter specifying the maximum amount of
>time allowed for each transport class tried.

This is correct.
I recently compiled an application which was linked to -lrpclib.a.  I
had some problems with my code, when I was doing debugging I noticed
some errors relating to clnt_create timed stuff.
Bye the way I did not egcs.  I used PGI commercial compilers which has
option tolink against cygwin libraries.

--sms
>Cheers,
>
>    Geoff.
>

>--
>Geoff Hayward
>Switching Test Solutions AG,        Email: geoff.hayward@stest.ch
>Friesenbergstr. 75,                 Phone: +41 1 454 6690
>CH-8055, Zurich, SWITZERLAND.
>

>--

* Re: RPC : clnt_create_timed
@ 1999-03-04 16:49 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-04 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: Geoff Hayward, cygwin

>Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>>
>> According to my knowledge, the SUNRPC is still version 4.0 on Sparc and
>> Solaris.  Did you download the code from ftp://playground.sun.com ?  If
>> so it is the same source code which Sun perhaps uses with its Sparc and
>> Solaris.
>
>I don't know anymore, from where I have downloaded it, but now I have taken
>a look into the file ` ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/rpc/rpcsrc_40.tar.Z '.
It's
>identical to the one I downloaded once. It doesn't contain a function
>`clnt_create_timed()'. rpcsrc-4.0 is from SunOS 4.0.
>
>There is another RPC implemetation in the directory
`//playground.sun.com/pub/rpc',
>which is called the `transport independent' variant. The last version on
the
>server is `tirpcsrc2.3.tar.Z'. This is the version used on Solaris 2.3.
>This version doesn't contain the function `clnt_create_timed()', too!

Corinna,

You defintely know more about RPC code.  All I meant that I saw those errors
in my core file.  I did not say it came from rpc.h.  I am sorry for not
being very clear. It very well may have been from the source code I used to
link to your librpclib.a.  I did not investigated.

This afternoon I did check rpc header files on my IRIX 6.5.  SGI uses the
same RPC which Sun uses on Solaris and SPARC under license (I assume) and I
also did not find a clnt_create_timed() in any header files under
/include/rpc directory.  The rpc library on SGI is called libsun.a

>Regards,
>Corinna

* Re: RPC : clnt_create_timed
@ 1999-03-04 15:51 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-04 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: Geoff Hayward, cygwin

@ 1999-03-04  8:36 Suhaib M. Siddiqi

>> > The forementioned function `clnt_create_timed' is not part of the
SUN RPC
>> > package. Are you sure, that this function is part of RPC on the SUN
>> > machine or is it already a function, which is used by an RPC
application?
>> > I'm asking, because `timed' is not a typical RPC application, you
know?

>> It has a man page and is declared in rpc/clnt.h on my SUN machine so
>> assumed
>> it was part of the package. It is the same as clnt_create but takes
an extra
>> timeout
>> parameter specifying the maximum amount of time allowed for each
transport
>> class
>> tried.
>
>It seems to be a newer version of sunrpc. Could you find out the
>version? Is it possible, that this version only exists on SUNs?
>I'm very interested!
>
>Corinna
>

>--

* Re: RPC : clnt_create_timed
@ 1999-03-04  6:47 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-04  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Hayward, cygwin

>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>> The forementioned function `clnt_create_timed' is not part of the SUN
>RPC
>> package. Are you sure, that this function is part of RPC on the SUN
>> machine or is it already a function, which is used by an RPC
>application?
>> I'm asking, because `timed' is not a typical RPC application, you
>know?
>
>It has a man page and is declared in rpc/clnt.h on my SUN machine so I
>assumed it was part of the package. It is the same as clnt_create but
>takes an extra timeout parameter specifying the maximum amount of
>time allowed for each transport class tried.

This is correct.
I recently compiled an application which was linked to -lrpclib.a.  I
had some problems with my code, when I was doing debugging I noticed
some errors relating to clnt_create timed stuff.
Bye the way I did not egcs.  I used PGI commercial compilers which has
option tolink against cygwin libraries.

--sms
>Cheers,
>
>    Geoff.
>

>--
>Geoff Hayward
>Switching Test Solutions AG,        Email: geoff.hayward@stest.ch
>Friesenbergstr. 75,                 Phone: +41 1 454 6690
>CH-8055, Zurich, SWITZERLAND.
>

>--

* Re: RPC : clnt_create_timed
@ 1999-03-04  6:33 Geoff Hayward