* Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-11  6:07 Jonathan Pryor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-11  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin users

Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:

>---Greg Miller <gmiller@classic-games.com> wrote:
>>
>> Michael Weiser wrote:
>> > Why? Someone who can't do a tar -xzvf will also be unable to use
>> > cygwin after install. It's the old thread which shows up here
>> > regularly and I'm one of those who want tar's or even better rpm's.
>>
>> Except that the above tar command isn't equivalent to a full
>> InstallShield executable. Further, many cygwin users just want to run
>> one or two pieces of UNIX software, not use a full simulation of UNIX.
>
>You've just given a perfectly good reason why _NOT_ to use
>InstallShield.  With InstallShield, unless the packager has provided
>for it, you can't just pick and choose like you would be able to with
>tar.

Why don't we have the "best of both worlds"?

I like the idea of tar files.  I also like the idea of an
InstallShield setup to specify which parts to install (via
a Custom install option).

Wouldn't it be possible to have tarballs, and have InstallShield
extract the tarballs as part of its installation?  Then both
groups can be satisified, and it shouldn't be too much more
difficult to do...(at least, I wouldn't think it so, but I've
been wrong before...)

For the record, I also would like to have a CD with almost
everything on it.  It would certainly make re-installing
"the world" easier...  :-)

Would it be possible to place mingw32 on the CD as well?
I don't remember seeing this raised as an option, but I
would find it useful to have it on the CD...

 - Jon

* [FYI] Cygwin DEV distribution
@ 1999-03-11 16:42 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-03-11 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pryor; +Cc: cygwin users

Here is another goodie:

Since I have tested our Apache 1.3.4 port contained within the latest
CAMP 1.1b release on Windows NT and it seems to be running very reliable
we have been thinking of making (hopefully if ever) the Cygwin DEV
available on a Cygwin dedicated Windows NT machine running our latest
Apache port connected via 2x2 Mbit lines to the net.

Before considering to serve such a big package via Cygwin on top of NT
we will do some benchmarking to figure out that performance can be made.
If it seems unsatisfying we will switch to a Linux/FreeBSD machine using
our companies 2x2 Mbit line or leave it on the current IBM AIX provided
from the Mathematical Institute of the University of Cologne.

I suppose the load of the machine will be *extremly* high within the
first week after releasing such a package. Therefore I would like to ask
people to think about the ability to provide mirror sites (basicly one
per continent) for it.

The start for getting Cygwin DEV realized has been scheduled for this
week-end!

And now cut this thread and back to common Cygwin problems!!

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany

* Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey
@ 1999-03-11 16:42 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-03-11 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pryor; +Cc: cygwin users

Jonathan Pryor wrote:

> Why don't we have the "best of both worlds"?
>
> I like the idea of tar files.  I also like the idea of an
> InstallShield setup to specify which parts to install (via
> a Custom install option).
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to have tarballs, and have InstallShield
> extract the tarballs as part of its installation?  Then both
> groups can be satisified, and it shouldn't be too much more
> difficult to do...(at least, I wouldn't think it so, but I've
> been wrong before...)

actualy this is want we intended, even if it isn't exactly what you
want. On a fresh non-Cygwin installed Win32 system InstallShield should
be used to install actualy Cygwin and all other pre-compiled compontents
via custom install options and all port sources should we provided as
tarballs for re-compilation purposes.

> For the record, I also would like to have a CD with almost
> everything on it.  It would certainly make re-installing
> "the world" easier...  :-)
>
> Would it be possible to place mingw32 on the CD as well?
> I don't remember seeing this raised as an option, but I
> would find it useful to have it on the CD...

As the thread says, it should be considered as Cygwin Development
Environment and hence there hasn't been any Mingw32 support intended, at
least for the first release.

Anyway our pre-defined limit of one CD size will be very soon out of
space when you consider that we will provide all full port sources of
the pre-compiled components. Startig with the Cygwin sources itself and
mandatory components like X11R6.4 from Sergey, binutils, inetutils and
the whole /usr/local suite of Andy Piper.

Regards,
Stipe

--

@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Stipe Tolj