* does bash provide scrolling ?
@ 1999-04-07  8:00 Jan-Friedrich Mutter
From: Jan-Friedrich Mutter @ 1999-04-07  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

is it possible to configure the bash that it is able to scroll up in
Win98 ?

Thanks, Jan.

* Re: does bash provide scrolling ?
@ 1999-04-07  8:48 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 1999-04-07  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Friedrich Mutter, cygwin

Jan-Friedrich Mutter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to configure the bash that it is able to scroll up in
> Win98 ?
>
> Thanks, Jan.

Scrolling is not a function of your shell, but of your terminal -- i.e.
cmd.exe/command.com (+ conagent.exe on Win95/98). So, you need to run
bash in a terminal that provides a scrollback buffer. If you have an
Xserver, you can run rxvt instead of cmd. Do this:

rxvt -sl 2000 -e bash

This will create an rxvt terminal with a scrollback buffer with 2000
lines, and start bash in that terminal. I've got a shortcut on my
desktop with the following command:

F:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\usr\local\bin\rxvt.exe -fn sabvga -bg
"rgbi:0/0/0.1" -fg "rgbi:1/1/0.9" -sl 2000 -e bash -login

This uses the sabvga font, dark blue background, pale yellow foregound,
and starts bash as a login shell. If you're using a precompiled version
of rxvt, you'll probably get a dummy dosbox on your screen, too. Fix
this by recompiling rxvt from the rxvt-2.6PRE2 sources (instructions in
the mail archives) or by downloading
ftp://belgarion.resnet.gatech.edu/pub/run/run-1.1.4.tar.gz and using run
to execute rxvt (it hides the dummy dosbox).

A good free xserver is XWin-32, available from http://www.starnet.com/
It has a two hour (renewable) time limit, though.

--Chuck

* Re: does bash provide scrolling ?
@ 1999-04-30 18:32   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Friedrich Mutter, cygwin

@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` Jan-Friedrich Mutter
From: Jan-Friedrich Mutter @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-04-30 18:32   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David.Smith, cygwin

Assuming that's what Jan is looking for (and I believe it is too), 9x doesn't
have this very useful capability in command.com.  Anyone who is interested
can check out the discussion in the archives on this very subject
from a week or two back.  The short version is either get some
commercial Win32 replacement for command.com (4DOS or another product I
don't recall the name of) or work with rxvt (with or without X11).

Larry Hall                             lhall@rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                     (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                         (781) 239-1655
Wellesley, MA, 02482-7797              http://www.rfk.com

@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` David.Smith
From: David.Smith @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-04-30 18:32   ` Dan Herron
From: Dan Herron @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On a similar note, can anybody tell me how to bind my page-up and
page-down keys to scroll the window (using the normal NT command shell,
that is)? Given how long it took me to figure key-binding out under Unix,
I don't want to image how long it would take me for Windows...

thanks,
Dan

At 04:16 PM 4/7/99 +0100, David.Smith@syntegra.bt.co.uk wrote:
>I am not sure about W98, but in NT 4.0 I open the command shell properties
>dialog, go to the Layout tab and set the buffer size to 10 times the window
>height.  This gives me vertical scroll bars and the ability to look at the
>last 10 screens.  The maximum buffer size seems to be 9999.
>
>Regards,
>David

Daniel Herron             Universitaet Hamburg / Fachbereich Informatik
phone: (49) 40 / 428 83 2519           AB Natuerlichsprachliche Systeme
fax:   (49) 40 / 428 83 2515                     Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
herron@informatik.uni-hamburg.de                        D-22527 Hamburg

* RE: does bash provide scrolling ?
@ 1999-04-07  8:32 ` Dan Herron
From: Dan Herron @ 1999-04-07  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-04-07  8:26 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 1999-04-07  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David.Smith, cygwin

Assuming that's what Jan is looking for (and I believe it is too), 9x doesn't
have this very useful capability in command.com.  Anyone who is interested
can check out the discussion in the archives on this very subject
from a week or two back.  The short version is either get some
commercial Win32 replacement for command.com (4DOS or another product I
don't recall the name of) or work with rxvt (with or without X11).

Larry Hall                             lhall@rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                     (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                         (781) 239-1655
Wellesley, MA, 02482-7797              http://www.rfk.com

At 04:16 PM 4/7/99 +0100, David.Smith@syntegra.bt.co.uk wrote:
>I am not sure about W98, but in NT 4.0 I open the command shell properties
>dialog, go to the Layout tab and set the buffer size to 10 times the window
>height.  This gives me vertical scroll bars and the ability to look at the
>last 10 screens.  The maximum buffer size seems to be 9999.
>
>Regards,
>David

@ 1999-04-07  8:09 David.Smith
                   ` (2 more replies)