* Cross compiling
@ 1999-08-01 19:05 Franklin Wingate
From: Franklin Wingate @ 1999-08-01 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am having trouble trying to compile assembly code embedded in c into
x86 format, what are the correct compiler options?

-franklin wingate

* Re: Cross compiling
@ 1999-08-01 20:55 ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-08-01 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franklin Wingate; +Cc: cygwin

Franklin Wingate wrote:

> I am having trouble trying to compile assembly code embedded in c into
> x86 format, what are the correct compiler options?

I don't think there are any that are requred.  Can you post a small
sample of your program with the assembler statements.  Are you using the
asm() statement ?

I'm not sure what this has to do with "Cross compililing" as your subject
states.

Brendan Simon.

* Re: Cross compiling
@ 1999-08-31 23:49   ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franklin Wingate; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-08-31 23:49 ` Franklin Wingate
From: Franklin Wingate @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-02-02  2:02           ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-02-02  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> If you type "How to build a cross compiler on cygwin 1.3.19 Sunday or
> Monday after 3PM if it isn't snowing" you aren't going to get many hits.
>
> General searches work best.  Then you refine from there.
>
> cgf, fish teacher

And

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=how+to+a
+build+a+cygwin+cross+compiler+on+linux

"how to build a cygwin cross compiler on linux". Some are even appearing on
s.r.c, not suprising tho...

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney (fish thrower....hmmmmmm maybe not^H^H^H^H^H^H^H)
elfyn@exposure.org.uk
www.exposure.org.uk

* Re: cross compiling
@ 2003-02-02  1:56         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-02-02  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 01:43:59AM -0000, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>> maybe cgf wants to share a bit of his wisdom? :)
>
>I dowt that ;-)

You don't need me.  I typed "how to build a cross compiler" in google
and got plenty of hits.

As usual, I think people think too literally when they type in google
searches.

@ 2003-02-02  1:42       ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-02-02  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> yup that's what i want to do. however i'm not very experienced (not at
> all) with building cross compilers. i've tried to build binutils and gcc
> with target=i586-cygwin-pc but both failed on me.
> i've googled around for a more detailed howto than the one i've found
> which was quite outdated (b20, egcs 1.1.x) but didn't find anything.

I know exactly what you mean, tutorial wise :-) What you'll need to do is
take a look at cgf's reply to my observation which gives you the configure
line. Just change the paths, a little hint you'll need to build gcc and
binutils in different directories from the source. Perhaps you'll want to
use the uberbaum source too, to simplify things as we know if works for
Chris.

I know that's not giving you much, but you'll have to knock up the courage
to hunt the (cross)gcc lists for more details if needed. Ditto for binutils.

@ 2003-02-02  1:36     ` thomas
From: thomas @ 2003-02-02  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Elfyn McBratney <elfyn-cygwin@exposure.org.uk> wrote:

> Im pretty sure, it makes sense to me and kinda confirmed in the mknetrel
> script, that Chris (cgf) uses cross gcc, binutils and maybe more that are
> targetted for i{3,4,5,6?}86-pc-cygwin... So you'd need to compile at very
> least a cross-compiler for cygwin.

yup that's what i want to do. however i'm not very experienced (not at
all) with building cross compilers. i've tried to build binutils and gcc
with target=i586-cygwin-pc but both failed on me.
i've googled around for a more detailed howto than the one i've found
which was quite outdated (b20, egcs 1.1.x) but didn't find anything.

maybe cgf wants to share a bit of his wisdom? :)

thomas

* Re: cross compiling
@ 2003-02-02  1:32     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-02-02  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 12:21:22AM -0000, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>Sorry, could not be arsed to reformat this... :-)
>
>Im pretty sure, it makes sense to me and kinda confirmed in the mknetrel
>script, that Chris (cgf) uses cross gcc, binutils and maybe more that are
>targetted for i{3,4,5,6?}86-pc-cygwin... So you'd need to compile at very
>least a cross-compiler for cygwin.

Yes, I use a linux x cygwin gcc+binutils for all of my cygwin work.  That's
sort of stock in trade for my division of Red Hat (the division formerly
known as Cygnus).

I use the "uberbaum" repository to check out everything in one tree:

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/uberbaum login
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/uberbaum co .

This is the configure line I used to build everything:

  /path/to/source/configure --target=i686-pc-cygwin --build=i686-pc-linux \
    --host=i686-pc-linux --prefix=/somewhere --disable-nls \
    --enable-languages=c++ --enable-sjlj-exceptions

And then use:
  make all install

To install it.

This creates i686-pc-cygwin-gcc, i686-pc-cygwin-ld, i686-pc-cygwin-as, etc.
that are used to build cygwin.

There is a mailing list for discussing cross gcc:
crossgcc@sources.redhat.com.

Before someone asks, I built the cross compiler myself, I'm not willing
to make it available for general distribution, and I'm not willing to
act as a mentor to other enterprising souls who want to do the same
thing.  There are surely web sites out there which deal with this issue.

cgf

* Re: cross compiling
@ 2003-02-02  0:20   ` Elfyn McBratney

From: David Means @ 2003-02-02  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas

Do I understand correctly that you want to compile (on a linux machine)
a program that makes use of the Cygwin API's, and which will be run on a
windows machine?  A true "cross compile?"

David

On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 07:55, thomas wrote:

> hi,
>
> i want to compile cygwin apps in linux. i've searched both the cygwin and
> the cygwin-dev lists but i can't seem to find much information about it.
> cgf apparently does it and knows how to do it.
> so if someone can point me in a direction that'd be great.
>
> thomas
>

> --

David Means

Q: How many IBM 370's does it take to execute a job?
A: Four, three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.

* cross compiling
@ 2003-02-01 12:55 thomas
From: thomas @ 2003-02-01 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1997-11-14  9:34 Jerry Cavin
From: Jerry Cavin @ 1997-11-14  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Can this GNU C++ compiler be used as a cross compiler?  My target
machine is a 68020 running VxWorks, and the host is an NT.

Jerry Cavin
Applied Research Labs

-