* Maybe a Bug in Cygwin in using Pointers to class fuctions
@ 1999-08-02 13:54 Ward Correll
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ward Correll @ 1999-08-02 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Maybe a bug in Cygwin! I think that this sorce code is correct in the Final
ANSI\ISO standard on C++ so I think it could be cygwin. Please check it out
for me in this simple code.

//Maybe a bug (in Cygwin) in using a pointer to a class fuction

#include <iostream.h>

class Mammal
{
public:
	Mammal():itsAge(1) {  }
	virtual ~Mammal() { }
	virtual void Speak() const = 0;
	virtual void Move() const = 0;
protected:
	int itsAge;
};

class Dog : public Mammal
{
public:
	void Speak()const { cout << "Woof!\n"; }
	void Move() const { cout << "Walking to heel...\n"; }
};

class Cat : public Mammal
{
public:
	void Speak()const { cout << "Meow!\n"; }
	void Move() const { cout << "slinking...\n"; }
};

class Horse : public Mammal
{
public:
	void Speak()const { cout << "Winnie!\n"; }
	void Move() const { cout << "Galloping...\n"; }
};

int main()
{
	void (Mammal::*pFunc)() const =0;
	Mammal* ptr =0;
	int Animal;
	int Method;
	bool fQuit = false;

	while (fQuit == false)
	{
		cout << "(0)Quit (1)dog (2)cat (3)horse: ";
		cin >> Animal;
		switch (Animal)
		{
		case 1:	ptr = new Dog; break;
		case 2: ptr = new Cat; break;
		case 3: ptr = new Horse; break;
		default: fQuit = true; break;
		}
		if (fQuit)
			break;

		cout << "(1)Speak  (2)Move: ";
		cin >> Method;
		switch (Method)
		{
		case 1: pFunc = Mammal::Speak; break;
		default: pFunc = Mammal::Move; break;
		}

		(ptr->*pFunc)();
		delete ptr;
	}
	return 0;
}

=========================OUTPUT FROM CYGWIN==========================
BASH.EXE-2.02$ c++ -o try try.cpp
test.cpp: In function `int main()':
test.cpp:66: assuming & on `Mammal::Speak'
test.cpp:67: assuming & on `Mammal::Move'
I know I want the fuction pointer to assume on Mammal::Speak or Mammal::Move
when meets some conditions as you see. But cygwin won't let me do that.
Anyway to force compiling?

Thanks!!! if you gave it a try.

* Re: Maybe a Bug in Cygwin in using Pointers to class fuctions
@ 1999-08-02 14:18 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-08-02 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ward Correll; +Cc: cygwin

"Ward Correll" <wardless@hotmail.com> writes:

> Maybe a bug in Cygwin! I think that this sorce code is correct in the Final
> ANSI\ISO standard on C++ so I think it could be cygwin. Please check it out
> for me in this simple code.

It's not a bug. Please see the discussion on pointer to member function
in a recent C++ book such as Stroustrup 3rd edition. Of course, the
best place is the ISO standard itself (cf: 8.3.3 [dcl.mptr]/2), but that
can be rather obtuse.

It's also a good idea to report what version of compiler you're using and
some system/OS info (gcc -v reports the compiler version).

>               case 1: pFunc = Mammal::Speak; break;
>               default: pFunc = Mammal::Move; break;
                                 ^^^^^^

> BASH.EXE-2.02$ c++ -o try try.cpp
> test.cpp: In function `int main()':
> test.cpp:66: assuming & on `Mammal::Speak'
> test.cpp:67: assuming & on `Mammal::Move'
> I know I want the fuction pointer to assume on Mammal::Speak or Mammal::Move
> when meets some conditions as you see. But cygwin won't let me do that.
> Anyway to force compiling?

The compiler gave you the answer, so use it! (hint: Mammal::Speak -->
&Mammal::Speak).

Followup to a C++ forum please.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: Maybe a Bug in Cygwin in using Pointers to class fuctions
@ 1999-08-02 16:40 ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-08-02 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ward Correll; +Cc: cygwin

Ward Correll wrote:

> =========================OUTPUT FROM CYGWIN==========================
> BASH.EXE-2.02$ c++ -o try try.cpp
> test.cpp: In function `int main()':
> test.cpp:66: assuming & on `Mammal::Speak'
> test.cpp:67: assuming & on `Mammal::Move'
> I know I want the fuction pointer to assume on Mammal::Speak or Mammal::Move
> when meets some conditions as you see. But cygwin won't let me do that.

Give this a try.  It seems GCC is picky about the address of a function and/or
member function.  It wants you to explicitly use the address operator as shown
below.  I think this should work.

                case 1: pFunc = &Mammal::Speak; break;
                default: pFunc = &Mammal::Move; break;

Brendan Simon.

* Re: Maybe a Bug in Cygwin in using Pointers to class fuctions
@ 1999-08-31 23:49   ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ward Correll; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-08-31 23:49 ` Ward Correll