* New snapshots and old binaries
@ 1999-08-29 12:06 Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 1999-08-29 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I want to update my cygwin environment to the newer snapshots, for two
reasons:

1) to make sure that perl5.6(pre) will build and execute properly with
cygwinB21(pre) while there's still time to fix perl5.6 / cygwinB21.
2) to use Sergey's port of ssh-2.0.13

My question:

If I do switch over to the newer snapshots, by unpacking cygwin-inst-*
over my current setup and fixing gcc-2.95 using Mumit's
gcc-2.95-dev-ss.tar.gz, how badly will this break my cygwin environment?
(I know that the i586-cygwin32 directory has changed its name to
i586-pc-cygwin32, but that's fairly minor from a user perspective).

I have Arlindo daSilva's X11 libs (for B20) installed, Andy Piper's
/usr/local (for B20), gcc-2.95, Sergey's remote package, libmysql,
msql-2.0.5, and a number of binaries that I have compiled against B20.1.

Will I need to recompile ALL of these libraries and executables before
my system returns to "normal", or what?

--Chuck

* Re: New snapshots and old binaries
@ 1999-08-30  8:16 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-30  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 03:08:20PM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>Will I need to recompile ALL of these libraries and executables before
>my system returns to "normal", or what?

If the DLL is named cygwin1.dll it will be backwards compatible.  If the
cygwin DLL does not work with a .exe that uses cygwin1.dll then that's a
bug in the DLL.

The biggest change in using the snapshot will be that the mounts will be
migrated to a new place in the registry but that should be transparent,
too.

I have seen occasional reports from people who indicated that they
supposedly had problems with mount tables after upgrading to a snapshot
but I've never had a clear idea what the problems are.

The other thing that you may notice is that unmounted directories will
be referred to as something like /cygdrive/c/foo rather than //c/foo
although it is still (temporarily) permissable to use //c as a valid
pathname.

cgf

* Re: New snapshots and old binaries
@ 1999-08-30  8:24   ` Charles Wilson
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Wilson @ 1999-08-30  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 03:08:20PM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> >Will I need to recompile ALL of these libraries and executables before
> >my system returns to "normal", or what?
>
> If the DLL is named cygwin1.dll it will be backwards compatible.  If the
> cygwin DLL does not work with a .exe that uses cygwin1.dll then that's a
> bug in the DLL.

According to Suhaib:
************
I do not know about /usr/local, but X11R6 needs a recompilation or you will

get a __ctype__ undefined references when linking, uncurses work from
B20.1.
You can get X11r6.4 for snapshot from my web site at siddiqi.webjump.com.
Most of the X11 and motif stuff for cygwin snapshots is available there.
Jpeg, tiff
and png will need recompilation.
************

I guess that signifies a bug in cygwin1.dll?

@ 1999-08-30  8:48     ` Suhaib Siddiqi
From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-08-30  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, cygwin

*>
> Chris Faylor wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 03:08:20PM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> > >Will I need to recompile ALL of these libraries and executables before
> > >my system returns to "normal", or what?
> >
> > If the DLL is named cygwin1.dll it will be backwards compatible.  If the
> > cygwin DLL does not work with a .exe that uses cygwin1.dll then that's a
> > bug in the DLL.
> >

> According to Suhaib:
> ************
> I do not know about /usr/local, but X11R6 needs a recompilation
> or you will
>
> get a __ctype__ undefined references when linking, uncurses work from
> B20.1.
> You can get X11r6.4 for snapshot from my web site at siddiqi.webjump.com.
> Most of the X11 and motif stuff for cygwin snapshots is available there.
> Jpeg, tiff
> and png will need recompilation.
> ************
>
> I guess that signifies a bug in cygwin1.dll?

I do not think it is a bug?  In B20.1 it was __ctype
and in recent snapshots, (snapshot starting from mid february 99)
it became __ctype__
I do not know what was the reasoning behind chaning __ctype to __ctype__.

Anyway, I had most of the necessary libs recompiled for snapshots
to avoid __ctype__ issue.

Suhaib

@ 1999-08-30  8:56     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-30  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 11:24:50AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 03:08:20PM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>> >Will I need to recompile ALL of these libraries and executables before
>> >my system returns to "normal", or what?
>>
>> If the DLL is named cygwin1.dll it will be backwards compatible.  If the
>> cygwin DLL does not work with a .exe that uses cygwin1.dll then that's a
>> bug in the DLL.
>>

>According to Suhaib:
>************
>I do not know about /usr/local, but X11R6 needs a recompilation or you will
>
>get a __ctype__ undefined references when linking, uncurses work from
>B20.1.
>You can get X11r6.4 for snapshot from my web site at siddiqi.webjump.com.
>Most of the X11 and motif stuff for cygwin snapshots is available there.
>Jpeg, tiff
>and png will need recompilation.
>************
>
>I guess that signifies a bug in cygwin1.dll?

Your old .exe's will work fine, as I said.

If you have object files sitting around then they may need to be
recompiled with the headers and libraries from the new snapshot.
The situation above would happen when linking an old object with
a new libcygwin.a.  It could also happen if you recompile without
the latest headers.

To reiterate, If you are a "normal" user you should be able to
drop in a snapshot DLL directly over an older cygwin1.dll (please
make a backup before doing this, however).  If you are a programmer
with a bunch of objects sitting around, you *may* need to recompile
some of them, since some things are now being exported from the
DLL which were previously linked statically.

Also, if you want to use a new version of the DLL, *please* get
rid of the older version.  Rename it, copy it to another location,
whatever.  Don't keep two versions of the cygwin1.dll around.
You'll just end up at best using more memory than necessary, or
at worst with strange problems between disparate DLL versions.

-chris

* Re: New snapshots and old binaries
@ 1999-08-30  8:59       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-30  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib Siddiqi; +Cc: Charles Wilson, cygwin

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 11:45:27AM -0400, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
>> According to Suhaib:
>> ************
>> I do not know about /usr/local, but X11R6 needs a recompilation
>> or you will
>>
>> get a __ctype__ undefined references when linking, uncurses work from
>> B20.1.
>> You can get X11r6.4 for snapshot from my web site at siddiqi.webjump.com.
>> Most of the X11 and motif stuff for cygwin snapshots is available there.
>> Jpeg, tiff
>> and png will need recompilation.
>> ************
>>
>> I guess that signifies a bug in cygwin1.dll?
>

>I do not think it is a bug?  In B20.1 it was __ctype
>and in recent snapshots, (snapshot starting from mid february 99)
>it became __ctype__
>I do not know what was the reasoning behind chaning __ctype to __ctype__.
>
>Anyway, I had most of the necessary libs recompiled for snapshots
>to avoid __ctype__ issue.

I never claimed that the source hadn't changed or that you wouldn't need
to recompile things with the new headers and libraries that we provide.

It's really really simple.  The DLL works with older executables.
libcygwin.a and its associated header files may not be compatible with
older object files.

cgf

* Re: New snapshots and old binaries
@ 1999-08-30 20:42         ` Jon Maltz
From: Jon Maltz @ 1999-08-30 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Using Sergey's coolview cygwin1.dll and libcygwin.a, I can't compile
anything with Mumit's gcc-2.95, not even something as simple as a Hello,
World program.  Sergey said that dll was more b21 compatible than b20, so
the question is, how long till b21?

Jon

@ 1999-08-31  0:43           ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 1999-08-31  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Maltz; +Cc: cygwin

Jon Maltz wrote:

> Using Sergey's coolview cygwin1.dll and libcygwin.a, I can't compile
> anything with Mumit's gcc-2.95, not even something as simple as a Hello,
> World program.  Sergey said that dll was more b21 compatible than b20, so
> the question is, how long till b21?
>
> Jon

You must *at least* download the updated gcc libraries to use gcc-2.95 with the
latest snapshots (e.g. the new coolview). The filename is gcc-2.95-dev-ss.tar.gz
and it's on Mumit's site.

--Chuck

* Re: New snapshots and old binaries
@ 1999-08-31  7:22             ` Jon Maltz
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Jon Maltz @ 1999-08-31  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

Sigh...

I installed Cygwin b20.1 from a newly downloaded full.exe on a test box,
untar'd Mumit's gcc-2.95, installed coolview, untar'd
gcc-2.95-dev-ss.tar.gz, and compiled the simplest c++ app I could think of.
 While I was previously entertained by a ton of ctype errors, it now
compiles, but won't run.

bash-2.02$ g++ hello.cpp -o test2
bash-2.02$ ./test2
    0       0 [main] g:\cygnus\usr\home\test2.exe 1073 handle_exceptions:
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    0   30303 [main] test2 1073 stackdump: Dumping stack trace to
test2.exe.stackdump
bash-2.02$

C apps compile and run just fine.

Jon

Guess I will have to rebuild gcc-2.95...well, might as well go for 2.95.1
then.

@ 1999-08-31  7:35               ` Suhaib Siddiqi
From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-08-31  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Maltz, Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

*>
> Sigh...
>
> I installed Cygwin b20.1 from a newly downloaded full.exe on a test box,
> untar'd Mumit's gcc-2.95, installed coolview, untar'd
> gcc-2.95-dev-ss.tar.gz, and compiled the simplest c++ app I could
> think of.
>  While I was previously entertained by a ton of ctype errors, it now
> compiles, but won't run.

Coolview is really not a snapshot of cygwin.  You are missing
stuff.

Install Cygwin1.dll from Cygwin snapshot. In my hands August 19th Cygwin
snapshot is very stable.

Suhaib

@ 1999-08-31  7:48               ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-08-31  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Maltz; +Cc: cygwin

Jon Maltz <jmaltz@nema.com> writes:
> Sigh...
>
> I installed Cygwin b20.1 from a newly downloaded full.exe on a test box,
> untar'd Mumit's gcc-2.95, installed coolview, untar'd
> gcc-2.95-dev-ss.tar.gz, and compiled the simplest c++ app I could think of.
>  While I was previously entertained by a ton of ctype errors, it now
> compiles, but won't run.
>
> bash-2.02$ g++ hello.cpp -o test2
> bash-2.02$ ./test2
>     0       0 [main] g:\cygnus\usr\home\test2.exe 1073 handle_exceptions:
> Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>     0   30303 [main] test2 1073 stackdump: Dumping stack trace to
> test2.exe.stackdump
> bash-2.02$

There is a good chance that this is due to a bug in the C++ driver, and
if so, this has been fixed recently (both locally and in GCC CVS tree).
For those who follow the gcc patches list, see the recent patches to fix
memory overrun in the G++ driver and CPP:

   Linkname: (C++) memory overrun fix for arglist in lang_specific_driver

and,

   Linkname: Re: (C++) memory overrun fix for arglist in

Jon, If you'd try out a new driver (g++.exe or c++.exe) to see if it
fixes the problem, please let me know.

In the meantime, just use gcc to compile .cc files; the only gotcha is
that when *linking* C++ code with gcc.exe, you'll have to append -lstdc++
which c++/g++ does automatically.

  $ gcc hello.cpp -o test2 -lstdc++

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: New snapshots and old binaries
@ 1999-08-31  8:46                 ` Jon Maltz
From: Jon Maltz @ 1999-08-31  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

Well, the simple apps compile and run with the aug30th cygwin1.dll
snapshot, and coolview's libcygwin.a.  Slightly less simple apps blow up
with _ctype_ errors (well, a slightly less simple app that happens to
#include <ctype.h>).

So can anyone say what the status of b21 is?  This doesn't seem likely to
get much easier until that is available.

Jon

@ 1999-08-31 23:49         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib Siddiqi; +Cc: Charles Wilson, cygwin

@ 1999-08-31 23:49                 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Maltz; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-08-31 23:49   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-08-31 23:49                   ` Jon Maltz
From: Jon Maltz @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-08-31 23:49     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 03:08:20PM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> >Will I need to recompile ALL of these libraries and executables before
> >my system returns to "normal", or what?
>
> If the DLL is named cygwin1.dll it will be backwards compatible.  If the
> cygwin DLL does not work with a .exe that uses cygwin1.dll then that's a
> bug in the DLL.

According to Suhaib:
************

@ 1999-08-31 23:49               ` Jon Maltz
From: Jon Maltz @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-08-31 23:49       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-08-31 23:49       ` Suhaib Siddiqi
From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, cygwin

*>

@ 1999-08-31 23:49             ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Maltz; +Cc: cygwin

From: Charles S. Wilson @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-08-31 23:49           ` Jon Maltz
From: Jon Maltz @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Maltz, Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

*>

@ 1999-08-31 23:49 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jmaltz, cygwin

In a message dated 8/30/99 10:44:22 PM EST, jmaltz@nema.com writes:

> Sergey said that dll was more b21 compatible than b20,
So, are you trying Mumit's version for b20 or the one for the b21 snapshots?
I have been able to rebuild the compilers for the snapshots by going through
the sequence

configure  --host=i586-cyginw32 --target=i586-pc-cygwin32

(with both versions of include files installed)

build and install gcc alone without bootstrap

configure --host=i586-pc-cygwin32 --target=i586-pc-cygwin32

perform full bootstrap

This works with the only contribution needed from Mumit being the fixes to
libf2c/libU77/[de]time_.c.

Tim
tprince@computer.org

From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: cygwin

*> --- Jon Maltz <jmaltz@nema.com> wrote:
> > Well, the simple apps compile and run with the aug30th cygwin1.dll
> > snapshot, and coolview's libcygwin.a.  Slightly less simple apps blow up
> > with _ctype_ errors (well, a slightly less simple app that happens to
> > #include <ctype.h>).

I did mention it yesterday too in response to Charles post.
In B20.1 it is _ctype and in recent snapshots it is _ctype_.

Install complete Cygwin latest snapshot, not only cygwin1.dll from
August 30.

Suhaib

* Re: New snapshots and old binaries
@ 1999-08-31 23:49 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Maltz; +Cc: cygwin

--- Jon Maltz <jmaltz@nema.com> wrote:
> Well, the simple apps compile and run with the aug30th cygwin1.dll
> snapshot, and coolview's libcygwin.a.  Slightly less simple apps blow up
> with _ctype_ errors (well, a slightly less simple app that happens to
> #include <ctype.h>).
>
> So can anyone say what the status of b21 is?  This doesn't seem likely to
> get much easier until that is available.
>
> Jon

The snapshots are close to being b21.  The problem as stated before in this
thread is that you need to get the appropriate libraries and headers installed
as well.  Download the latest cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz and use those headers
and libraries to build your applications.  NOTICE: Even though the runtime
(cygwin1.dll) is backward compatible the objects and libraries are not.  If you
rebuild a binary you must rebuild all dependencies as well.
===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)

* Re: New snapshots and old binaries
@ 1999-08-31 23:49     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-31 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib Siddiqi; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 12:46:25PM -0400, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
>*> --- Jon Maltz <jmaltz@nema.com> wrote:
>> > Well, the simple apps compile and run with the aug30th cygwin1.dll
>> > snapshot, and coolview's libcygwin.a.  Slightly less simple apps blow up
>> > with _ctype_ errors (well, a slightly less simple app that happens to
>> > #include <ctype.h>).
>
>I did mention it yesterday too in response to Charles post.
>In B20.1 it is _ctype and in recent snapshots it is _ctype_.
>
>Install complete Cygwin latest snapshot, not only cygwin1.dll from
>August 30.

Actually, in "recent" snapshots (i.e., since May) ctype is exported
from the DLL.  That's what the problem is.

Just to reiterate for the fifth or sixth time:  Download everything from
the same place and you should be fine.  Don't grab libcygwin.a from one
site and cygwin1.dll from another.  I can't believe that this has to
be repeated.

-Chris Faylor
-Win32 Manager
-Cygnus Solutions