* Help?  Problem with Cygwin on Win98
@ 1999-09-02 20:49 Jon M Mollison
From: Jon M Mollison @ 1999-09-02 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greetings,

I need a C++ compiler for a class I am taking and downloaded
Cygwin B20 in order to use cgg.  Unfortunately, I can't seem
to get Cygwin B20 to operate.  I got the message "Out of
environment space" message and so attempted to increase the
amount of environment space in my config.sys by right
clicking on the Cygwin B20 icon and going to "Properties",
"advanced" and adding the line `shell=C:\command.com /e:4096
/p' (C: is your system drive letter.)

Now, when I attempt to run the program, it shuts down
Windows and restarts in MS-DOS mode.  My computer announces
that it is running the program, then announces that the
program cannot be run in DOS mode and reboots Windows...

What have I done wrong here?  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

-Jon

* Re: Help?  Problem with Cygwin on Win98
@ 1999-09-03  2:29 ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 1999-09-03  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon M Mollison; +Cc: cygwin

Jon M Mollison wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I need a C++ compiler for a class I am taking and downloaded
> Cygwin B20 in order to use cgg.  Unfortunately, I can't seem
> to get Cygwin B20 to operate.  I got the message "Out of
> environment space" message and so attempted to increase the
> amount of environment space in my config.sys by right
> clicking on the Cygwin B20 icon and going to "Properties",
> "advanced" and adding the line `shell=C:\command.com /e:4096
> /p' (C: is your system drive letter.)
>
> Now, when I attempt to run the program, it shuts down
> Windows and restarts in MS-DOS mode.  My computer announces
> that it is running the program, then announces that the
> program cannot be run in DOS mode and reboots Windows...

You're editing the wrong thing - you need to edit your c:\config.sys
file and fix the shell= statement there. That way, it's valid for the
windows session. What you're doing is this:

1. okay, Windows can have a dinky 1k environment space
2. oh, no, the user clicked on a program whose pif specifies a 4k
environment space; I can't provide that. I'd better reboot to MSDOS mode
so the 4k environment can happen
3. <reboot>
4. Waitaminute - that program needs access to windows stuff. It can't
run under MSDOS mode. I'm outta here.
5. <reboot>

So, fix your c:\config.sys file, and get rid of the <Advanced> setting
on the pif file for cygwin.bat. And reboot before trying it out.

--Chuck

* Help?  Problem with Cygwin on Win98
@ 1999-09-30 23:42 ` Jon M Mollison
From: Jon M Mollison @ 1999-09-30 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)