* RE: Missing ls, mkdir and stuff
@ 2001-02-19  1:20 Stephen Patterson
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Stephen Patterson @ 2001-02-19  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd have thought that ls, mkdir and a few other commands are so essential to the basic running of cygwin that they would be in some always-installed base package.

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-02-19  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 04:14:07AM -0500, Stephen Patterson wrote:
> I'd have thought that ls, mkdir and a few other commands are so essential to the basic running of cygwin that they would be in some always-installed base package.

They _are_ in the base distro. If you have installed via `setup.exe'
from http://cygwin.com and if you install everything you would have
all these tools.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Missing ls, mkdir and stuff
@ 2001-02-19  1:39 ` Egor Duda
From: Egor Duda @ 2001-02-19  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Patterson; +Cc: cygwin

Hi!

Monday, 19 February, 2001 Stephen Patterson fileysurgery@techie.com wrote:

SP>  I'd  have  thought that ls, mkdir and a few other commands are so
SP>  essential  to  the  basic running of cygwin that they would be in
SP> some always-installed base package.

certainly  not.  many  people  use  cygwin  to  run some programs that
require it, but never ever start interactive bash shell.

the  thing  that  can  help,  though,  is  a downloadable file list of
archives  in  latest/  so  i  can  determine,  which package i have to
download to get ls or mkdir

* RE: Missing ls, mkdir and stuff
@ 2001-02-19  6:42 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-02-19  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:14 AM 2/19/2001, Stephen Patterson wrote:
>I'd have thought that ls, mkdir and a few other commands are so essential to the basic running of cygwin that they would be in some always-installed base package.

The base distribution is all packages.  If you install them all, you will
get all the tools you need.  If you're looking for some indication of what
is the minimal set of packages that you need to install for a particular
type of user ("regular user", "developer", etc), this doesn't exist yet.
So far, there haven't been any volunteers to provide this information or
enhance setup to do this (although Earnie Boyd had provided, within the last
few weeks, his cut at what he thought might be minimal installation).

* Re: Missing ls, mkdir and stuff
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-02-19  7:34 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-02-19  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

They are always installed if you follow the normal path and don't exclude
that package.

@ 2001-02-17 14:02 ` Kevin Wright
From: Kevin Wright @ 2001-02-17 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin,

You need to install fileutils to get ls, and mkdir.

--Kevin

* Missing ls, mkdir and stuff
@ 2001-02-17 12:18 Marcin Orlowski