* RCS 5.7 & bin/text mounts
@ 2000-02-03 16:31 Ian Miller
From: Ian Miller @ 2000-02-03 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I'd like some advice on how I can make best use of the RCS 5.7 port
for Cygwin B20. The README file says:-

     - the package has been built for binary mounts and not tested on
       nonbinary ones. But as RCS internally handles its files in UN*X
       LF format I don't expect it to work.

However, I have all my partitions mounted as text!=binary as recommended by
various posters and FAQs. I used to use the DJGPP port of RCS in conjunction
with NTEmacs 20.x and had no problems; but now if I check stuff in and out
using NTEmacs and my old RCS files, I get corrupted RCS files, though it
seems to work perfectly with newly created RCS files!

[I believe NTEmacs adopts the "approved" Cygwin approach of removing the
CR's for display and replacing them when the file is written (even though
it is not itself a Cygwin port)? ]

I don't understand why there should be a problem with using this port of
RCS with text mounts, because surely it just means that extra characters
are checked in and out (i.e. the CR's)? I presume the DJGPP port did something
different re: the CR/LF situation, and that is why I am having trouble
checking in/out old files? Please advise!

cheers,
ian

* Re: RCS 5.7 & bin/text mounts
@ 2000-02-03 16:44 ` Ian Miller
From: Ian Miller @ 2000-02-03 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Miller wrote:

> Hi, I'd like some advice on how I can make best use of the RCS 5.7 port
> for Cygwin B20. The README file says:-
>
>      - the package has been built for binary mounts and not tested on
>        nonbinary ones. But as RCS internally handles its files in UN*X
>        LF format I don't expect it to work.
>
> However, I have all my partitions mounted as text!=binary as recommended by
> various posters and FAQs. I used to use the DJGPP port of RCS in conjunction
> with NTEmacs 20.x and had no problems; but now if I check stuff in and out
> using NTEmacs and my old RCS files, I get corrupted RCS files, though it
> seems to work perfectly with newly created RCS files!

Ok, a little more experimentation reveals that all is not well even with
new RCS files - although the latest version is checked out by NTEmacs in
text-mode, previous versions are displayed as "Unix" (i.e. binary mode),
and diffs as a result seem to go a bit funny...

What is the best solution to this problem - simply to mount the partition
that I do my RCS work on, as binary? I still don't understand why RCS is
interfering with the extra CR's added by text-mode anyway... if that is
indeed the problem...?

cheers,
ian

* RE: RCS 5.7 & bin/text mounts
@ 2000-02-04  9:03   ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 2000-02-04  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]
> What is the best solution to this problem - simply to mount the partition
> that I do my RCS work on, as binary? I still don't understand why RCS is
> interfering with the extra CR's added by text-mode anyway... if that is
> indeed the problem...?

You're right about the exrta CR's: if the RCS file foo.c,v is stored in
"UNIX mode" (no extra CR's) and you check foo.c in "DOS mode", the extra
CR's _will_ count as differences, even if you haven't changed a single char.

--
André Oliveira da Costa
(costa@cade.com.br)

"An unrecoverable error occured and windows will shut down.
If the problem persists please contact http://www.linux.org/ "

* Re: RCS 5.7 & bin/text mounts
@ 2000-02-04  9:56 Rick Rankin
From: Rick Rankin @ 2000-02-04  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I rebuilt RCS on a text mounted filesystem, and so far, it seems to work OK. I
haven't stressed it very much, though.

Rick
--
Rick Rankin