* man pages
@ 2000-03-10 12:21 Stefan Lindqvist
       [not found] ` <004501bf8ad2$e71c2590$520f4dd1@TIMYX18EWDT6RQ>
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stefan Lindqvist @ 2000-03-10 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying to get the man pages working under bash on NT 4 SP6. I
downloaded the binaries for man and groff and I believe I managed to get
the files into the correct directories. The problem is, when running the
man command, I receive the following:

$ man man
Error executing formatting or display command.
System command (cd /usr/local/man ; (echo -e ".pl 1100i"; cat
/usr/local/man/man
1/man.1; echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | c:/usr/local/bin/tbl |
c:/usr/local/bin/groff -
Tlatin1 -mandoc | c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/less -is)
exited with
 status 32512.
No manual entry for man

However, if I "manually" run the above command "(cd /usr/local/man ;
(echo -e "..."  ...,etc the man page is printed out just fine. So, why
doesn't it work from the man command?

Any hints highly appreciated. Thanks,

Stefan L

* Re: man pages
       [not found] ` <004501bf8ad2$e71c2590$520f4dd1@TIMYX18EWDT6RQ>
@ 2000-03-10 17:16   ` Stefan Lindqvist
From: Stefan Lindqvist @ 2000-03-10 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Unfortunately that didn't solve it either... As you can see on the command line,
it is actually doing a "cat /usr/local/man/man1/man.1". Hence, man finds the
correct file, but then the actual processing of the file fails for some
reason...

Tim Prince wrote:

> This makes it appear that /usr/local/man is not include in the search for
> man pages.  Try setting the -M option or MANPATH environment in accordance
> with 'man man.'  I am using the cwilson utilities version and it required no
> special attention.

* Re: man pages
       [not found] ` <004501bf8ad2$e71c2590$520f4dd1@TIMYX18EWDT6RQ>
@ 2000-03-12  9:20 ` Heinz-Juergen Oertel
From: Heinz-Juergen Oertel @ 2000-03-12  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Stefan Lindqvist wrote:

> I'm trying to get the man pages working under bash on NT 4 SP6. I
> downloaded the binaries for man and groff and I believe I managed to get
> the files into the correct directories. The problem is, when running the
> man command, I receive the following:
>
> $ man man
> Error executing formatting or display command.
> System command (cd /usr/local/man ; (echo -e ".pl 1100i"; cat
> /usr/local/man/man
> 1/man.1; echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | c:/usr/local/bin/tbl |
> c:/usr/local/bin/groff -
> Tlatin1 -mandoc | c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/less -is)
> exited with
>  status 32512.
> No manual entry for man
>
> However, if I "manually" run the above command "(cd /usr/local/man ;
> (echo -e "..."  ...,etc the man page is printed out just fine. So, why
> doesn't it work from the man command?
>
> Any hints highly appreciated. Thanks,
>
> Stefan L
>
> --
I have the same behavior running man from within elvis.
E.g..
:!man man
or using 'K' (shift K) with cursor under the 'man' command.

The difference is, I can start it from command line.

I am sure month ago I found out what it is,
but unfortunately I forgot it again (getting older is strange).
I'm interested in the solution.

 Heinz

* Re: man pages
       [not found] ` <004501bf8ad2$e71c2590$520f4dd1@TIMYX18EWDT6RQ>
@ 2000-03-12 16:22 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 2000-03-12 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Stefan,

[...]
>$ man man
>Error executing formatting or display command.
[...]
>No manual entry for man
>
>However, if I "manually" run the above command "(cd /usr/local/man ;
>(echo -e "..."  ...,etc the man page is printed out just fine. So, why
>doesn't it work from the man command?
>
>Any hints highly appreciated. Thanks,

Probably either your man pages or your man config file is in DOS, not
Unix format and/or your partitions are not mounted in binary mode.

>Stefan L

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/

* Re: man pages
@ 2000-03-13 17:01   ` Stefan Lindqvist
From: Stefan Lindqvist @ 2000-03-13 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks Michael and others for the help. I was actually able to locate the
problem myself: After copying sh.exe to the /bin directory, man works fine
(just as the cygwin installation instructions say... - sorry about that).

/Stefan L

Michael Hirmke wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> [...]
> >$ man man
> >Error executing formatting or display command.
> [...]
> >No manual entry for man
> >
> >However, if I "manually" run the above command "(cd /usr/local/man ;
> >(echo -e "..."  ...,etc the man page is printed out just fine. So, why
> >doesn't it work from the man command?
> >
> >Any hints highly appreciated. Thanks,
>
> Probably either your man pages or your man config file is in DOS, not
> Unix format and/or your partitions are not mounted in binary mode.
>

> >Stefan L
>
> Bye.
> Michael.
> --
> Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
> Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
> 90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mailto:mh@mike.franken.de
>                          | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/
>
> --

* Re: man pages
@ 2000-03-17  0:31     ` Sean Champ
From: Sean Champ @ 2000-03-17  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-general

if you're running b20:
how did you even get the manpages to work?

I saw something about it, probably somewhere at cygnus, that suggested it wasn't possible to run manpages on b20

> Thanks Michael and others for the help. I was actually able to locate the
> problem myself: After copying sh.exe to the /bin directory, man works fine
> (just as the cygwin installation instructions say... - sorry about that).
>
> /Stefan L
>
> Michael Hirmke wrote:
>
> > Hi Stefan,
> >
> > [...]
> > >$ man man
> > >Error executing formatting or display command.
> > [...]
> > >No manual entry for man
> > >
> > >However, if I "manually" run the above command "(cd /usr/local/man ;
> > >(echo -e "..."  ...,etc the man page is printed out just fine. So, why
> > >doesn't it work from the man command?
> > >
> > >Any hints highly appreciated. Thanks,
> >
> > Probably either your man pages or your man config file is in DOS, not
> > Unix format and/or your partitions are not mounted in binary mode.
> >

> > >Stefan L
> >
> > Bye.
> > Michael.
> > --
> > Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
> > Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
> > 90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mailto:mh@mike.franken.de
> >                          | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/
> >
> > --

* Re: man pages
@ 2000-03-17  0:43       ` Stephen Davies
From: Stephen Davies @ 2000-03-17  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Champ; +Cc: Cygwin-general

I seem to have missed the problem here.

I built man as one of the first add-ons to both my B19 and B20 setups with
little or no problems.

All it seemed to need was terminfo, ncurses and groff. Oh, and I think I had
to gzip the man pages themselves.

Works just fine.

Thanks again for such a great toolkit.

Cheers,
Stephen.

"Sean Champ" <symmetry_web@email.msn.com>  wrote:
> if you're running b20:
> how did you even get the manpages to work?
>
> I saw something about it, probably somewhere at cygnus, that suggested it wasn't possible to run manpages on b20

* Re: man pages
@ 2000-03-17  8:10         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-17  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-general

On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 07:13:27PM +1030, Stephen Davies wrote:
>I seem to have missed the problem here.
>
>I built man as one of the first add-ons to both my B19 and B20 setups with
>little or no problems.
>
>All it seemed to need was terminfo, ncurses and groff. Oh, and I think I had
>to gzip the man pages themselves.
>
>Works just fine.
>
>Thanks again for such a great toolkit.

You're welcome.

You're right, of course, that man can be compiled and built just like most
other UNIX applications.  There is nothing magical in B20 which prevents
man from working.

cgf

@ 2000-03-17 13:43       ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 2000-03-17 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Sean,

>if you're running b20:
>how did you even get the manpages to work?
>
>I saw something about it, probably somewhere at cygnus, that suggested it
>wasn't possible to run manpages on b20

Of course you can, but you have to get a bunch of tools, which are not
included in B20, but are in 1.0!
These are
- less
- groff
- ncurses
- man

You can find all of them including a description on how to build and
install them on ftp.franken.de somewhere in
/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Hirmke_Michael!
(hope I remember the path correctly)

Bye.
Michael.
--

@ 2000-03-17 14:10         ` Stefan Lindqvist
From: Stefan Lindqvist @ 2000-03-17 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I downloaded the binaries for man from:

http://www.hirmke.de/software/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Humblet_Pierre_A/B20/man-1.5f-cygwin-b20-bin.tar.gz

and the groff binaries from:

http://www.hirmke.de/software/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Hirmke_Michael/B20/groff-1.10-cygwin-b20-bin.tar.gz

and that's all I needed. I believe less was already in my cygwin full.exe.

If I understand correctly you only need ncurses if you want to download and
rebuild the source code.

/Stefan L

@ 2000-03-18  4:43           ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 2000-03-18  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Stefan,

>Hi,
>
>I downloaded the binaries for man from:
>
> http://www.hirmke.de/software/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Humblet_Pierre_
>A/B20/man-1.5f-cygwin-b20-bin.tar.gz

Yep, www.hirmke.de is my own site, but it is just a mirror for the files
on ftp.franken.de! Because www.hirmke.de is sitting behind a 33.6 leased
line, it is recommended to use ftp.franken.de for downloads, which has a
bandwidth of switched 10Mbit - a little bit faster, as you can see :)

[...]
>If I understand correctly you only need ncurses if you want to download and
>rebuild the source code.

Uhm, no, you have to have ncurses, if you use less, which has been built
to use ncurses for screen control.
My prebuilt less packages all depend on ncurses, the Cygwin 1.x less
AFAIK does something different, though.

>/Stefan L

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mailto:mh@mike.franken.de
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/

* Man pages
@ 2001-05-24  2:48 A.R. Thornton
From: A.R. Thornton @ 2001-05-24  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!
   I've just done: man echo on my cygwin setup, to find that for some
reason it's started dropping the \ from the manpages, so instead of giving
me a nicely layed out man page it's actually performing the actions. I've
tried it for a few other pages, and it's doing the same thing. Anybody got
an idea as to whats up?

andy

--
art27@cam.ac.uk - Assistant Technical Director - Queens' Bats

* Re: man pages
@ 2000-03-20  6:21 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-03-20  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke, cygwin

--- Michael Hirmke <mh@mike.franken.de> wrote:
-8<-

> Uhm, no, you have to have ncurses, if you use less, which has been built
> to use ncurses for screen control.
> My prebuilt less packages all depend on ncurses, the Cygwin 1.x less
> AFAIK does something different, though.

The official versions of less have coding for Win32 which uses the Win32
Console.  This is what is distributed with Cygwin 1.0.  There is no need to
have ncurses installed.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: man pages
@ 1999-11-30 23:39   ` Doug Wyatt
From: Doug Wyatt @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Wilcox, cygwin

Hi,

I've found Linux man pages to be very helpful - try

   ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux/docs/manpages/

file: man-pages-1.27.tar.gz

I just expanded them into /usr/local/linux-man-1.27 and
added this to the end of MANPATH in my Bash startup file.
Regards,
Doug Wyatt

> hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me where i can find a set of man pages
> for c functions that I can usr with cygwin. I've
> downloaded full-man but these arn't included
>
> thanks,
> Carson
> crwfl@yahoo.com

* man pages
@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Carson Wilcox
From: Carson Wilcox @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Joel Guerrero
From: Joel Guerrero @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

how i can read man pages or info pages?
Thanks,
Joel GUERRERO

* RE: man pages
@ 1999-11-30 23:39   ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Wilcox, cygwin

I got mine from
ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux/docs/manpages/man-pages-1.27.tar.bz2

HTH,

Andre
--
André Oliveira da Costa
(costa@cade.com.br)

* Re: man pages
@ 1999-11-18 11:13 ` Doug Wyatt
From: Doug Wyatt @ 1999-11-18 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Wilcox, cygwin

Hi,

I've found Linux man pages to be very helpful - try

   ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux/docs/manpages/

file: man-pages-1.27.tar.gz

I just expanded them into /usr/local/linux-man-1.27 and
added this to the end of MANPATH in my Bash startup file.
Regards,
Doug Wyatt

> hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me where i can find a set of man pages
> for c functions that I can usr with cygwin. I've
> downloaded full-man but these arn't included
>
> thanks,
> Carson
> crwfl@yahoo.com

* RE: man pages
@ 1999-11-18 10:59 ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 1999-11-18 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Wilcox, cygwin

I got mine from
ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux/docs/manpages/man-pages-1.27.tar.bz2

HTH,

Andre
--
André Oliveira da Costa
(costa@cade.com.br)

* man pages
@ 1999-11-18  7:25 Carson Wilcox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carson Wilcox @ 1999-11-18  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-11-15 17:43 Joel Guerrero
From: Joel Guerrero @ 1999-11-15 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-10-31 19:54 ` Carson Wilcox
From: Carson Wilcox @ 1999-10-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I've seen references that man and the man pages are
available on the cygwin site but I have been unable to
find them, can anyone give me a shove in the right
direction.

Thanks,
Carson

* man pages
@ 1999-10-31 10:05 Carson Wilcox
From: Carson Wilcox @ 1999-10-31 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1997-07-16  9:26 Reuben Collver
From: Reuben Collver @ 1997-07-16  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I've put together a brief list of utilities for man pages and the like.

http://mothership.dnc.net/~collver/man.htm

Ben.

-

* Re: MAN PAGES
@ 1997-07-01  3:40 ` Gilligan
From: Gilligan @ 1997-07-01  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Win 32

KMorris692@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-06-29 17:50:19 EDT, dsyed1@umbc.edu (Daniyal
> Syed)
> writes:
>
> > I am a little new at all the gnu ports for NT, I was wondering if
> there is
> >  such a thing as man.exe as when I installed the GNU tools etc i
> noticed it
> >  created man directories...
>
> I wondered this, too. I just loaded b18 for 95/NT. I also noticed a
> lack of
> more(1), less(1), or anything like it. Any recommendations?

Man/groff/less all build rather easily in cygwin32.  I've put minor
patches to help them along on my ftp site - ftp.ice.net /pub/home/python
Get the sources from prep.ai.mit.edu /pub/gnu.
-

* Re: MAN PAGES
@ 1997-06-30  9:04 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-06-30  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 970630012854_1825815956@emout13.mail.aol.com >,
 <KMorris692@aol.com> wrote:
>>...when I installed the GNU tools etc i noticed it
>>created man directories...
>
>I wondered this, too. I just loaded b18 for 95/NT. I also noticed a lack of
>more(1), less(1), or anything like it. Any recommendations?

I can't help with 'man' but I do have a binary version of less at my
web site:
		http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."

* Re: MAN PAGES
@ 1997-06-30  5:56 ` Dr Francis J. Wright
From: Dr Francis J. Wright @ 1997-06-30  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KMorris692, dsyed1; +Cc: gnu-win32

KMorris692@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-06-29 17:50:19 EDT, dsyed1@umbc.edu (Daniyal
> Syed)
> writes:
>
> > I am a little new at all the gnu ports for NT, I was wondering if
> there is
> >  such a thing as man.exe as when I installed the GNU tools etc i
> noticed it
> >  created man directories...
>
> I wondered this, too. I just loaded b18 for 95/NT. I also noticed a
> lack of
> more(1), less(1), or anything like it. Any recommendations?

If you use NTEmacs then you might like to try my WoMan package,
available via the WWW, address below.  This is a partial implementation
of man/nroff etc. in Emacs Lisp.  It can be set up in conjunction with
gnuserv so that you can call it from a command line (from inside or
outside Emacs).  The next version, which I hope to release within a week
or so, includes explicit instructions for doing this from both bash and
COMMAND.COM.

Beware that WoMan currently assumes NTEmacs in window mode and it will
fail if face support is not available.  At some time in the future I
hope to support also console mode and other versions of Emacs, such as
the MS-DOS port, of which I have fond memories, and UNIX/Linux versions
(but probably not XEmacs).

Francis

--

Dr Francis J. Wright  (Senior Tutor for Mathematics)
School of Mathematical Sciences   | Email:     F.J.Wright@QMW.ac.uk

* Re: MAN PAGES
@ 1997-06-29 22:29 KMorris692
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: KMorris692 @ 1997-06-29 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-06-29  9:08 Daniyal Syed
From: Daniyal Syed @ 1997-06-29  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hello every one,

I am a little new at all the gnu ports for NT, I was wondering if there is
such a thing as man.exe as when I installed the GNU tools etc i noticed it
created man directories...
is there a way you can use those help files from the command
prompt.........like in unix

thanks

dsyed1@umbc.edu
Daniyal Syed

-

* Re: Man pages
@ 1997-05-13  7:47 ` David Coe
From: David Coe @ 1997-05-13  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kdw3; +Cc: Cygnus Gnu-win32

Kevin White wrote:

> Is there a port of "man" for NT 4.0?  I adore bash but I really would
> like to be able to use and even build man pages for my NT box.

Man-1.4h (from the Linux distribution) configures and compiles under
B17.5 without change except for deletion in man.c of
setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, "");

You will need less and groff. Roll your own under gnu-win32 or download
VCC versions from:

	http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/

If you want to automatically generate preformatted and compressed man
pages you also need a good version of gzip:

	http://sunsite.doc.ac.uk/packages/zip/WIN32/

I'm afraid the gnu-win32 (B17.5) version of gunzip gives unpacking
problems for me.

Good luck,

--
Dr David Coe			     \=\
58 Fairlawn Drive, East Grinstead     \=\   Tel +44 1342 326860

* RE: Man pages
@ 1997-05-13  4:48 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-05-13  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'kdw3@po.cwru.edu'

Kevin White wrote:
> Is there a port of "man" for NT 4.0?  I adore bash but I really would
> like to be able to use and even build man pages for my NT box.

Man (I've tried man-1.4d), groff-1.10 and less-321 (requred by man) compiles with cygnus tools without problems. Just try :-)

--
Sergey Okhapkin
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: Man pages
@ 1997-05-13  4:04 Mikey
From: Mikey @ 1997-05-13  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kdw3; +Cc: cygnus

Make sure groff, and less are installed, and do

export CC="gcc -DNOGETOPT -DNONLS -DLC_MESSAGES=6";sh configure -d

make

make install

in the man-1.4h root dir.

 ----
From: Kevin White <kdw3@po.cwru.edu>
To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
Date: Monday, May 12, 1997 11:09 PM
Subject: Man pages

>Is there a port of "man" for NT 4.0?  I adore bash but I really would
>like to be able to use and even build man pages for my NT box.
>--

* Man pages
@ 1997-05-12 13:51 Kevin White
From: Kevin White @ 1997-05-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)