* tar
@ 2000-03-18  6:59 rick solovan
From: rick solovan @ 2000-03-18  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I cant untar any files.
I type tar -x file.tar
and then it just does nothing

ie.
START
bash-2.02$tar -x file.tar[ENTER]
[CNTRL+C](it just sits there and does nothing, same with tar -t)
bash-2.02$
END
Somebody told me I must not use winzip to untar these files,TRUE?
What am I doing wrong, please help.
Im running Winnt Server

* Re: tar
@ 2000-03-18  7:03 ` John Fortin
From: John Fortin @ 2000-03-18  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

rick Slovene wrote:

> I cant untar any files.
> I type tar -x file.tar
> and then it just does nothing
>
> ie.
> START
> bash-2.02$tar -x file.tar[ENTER]
> [CNTRL+C](it just sits there and does nothing, same with tar -t)
> bash-2.02$
> END

try 'tar -xvf foo.tar'

the -xvf tells tar to extract(x), be verbose(v), the following file(f)

John

* tar
@ 2000-02-15 13:22 paul van der Meij
From: paul van der Meij @ 2000-02-15 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

after applying a new 'snapshot' (20000131) I had suddenly a problem
using 'tar' on certain archives
it produced a 'stack dump'

I downloaded tar-1.13 from 'gnu' and generated it with no problems,
however it has (at least) 2 runtime problems:
- it does not recognize 'tar-filenames' with MS convention
'd:/dir/xxx.tar', but maybe many more unix programs will
  not recognize a path that does not start with '/' and is still
'absolute', so '//d/dir/xxx.tar' wiil do. (The old tar did ??)
- it does not work with stdin and stdout, or 'pipe' to or from another
program. I have no idea yet why ??

--
name: Paul van der Meij
email:  phjvdmeij@wxs.nl