* quick question
@ 2000-03-17 21:48 michael campbell
From: michael campbell @ 2000-03-17 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am downloading the cgywin tools and the source code files that the instructions say to
download don't turn out to be files. I click on the source code hyperlink and when it links, to
the page, it just starts spitting out the source code. I don't think I want to copy the source
code and then put it into a doc file, so I was just wondering if you could help explain to me if
the link was just not working right or I was doing something wrong. Thanks for your help. I
cant wait to get all of the files downloaded. Thanks again! mark campbell
brown@latino.com
Ideas? Appointments?  FREE SANITY with email, personal calendar, to-do-list, GRATIS! http://www.latinolink.com

* Re: quick question
@ 2000-03-20 15:49 ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2000-03-20 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael campbell; +Cc: cygwin

> I am downloading the cgywin tools and the source code files that the
> instructions say to
> download don't turn out to be files. I click on the source code
> hyperlink and when it links, to
> the page, it just starts spitting out the source code.

Strangely, this happens to me every once in a while using netscape.
Just right click on the URL and "save link as"

-eric

* Re: Quick question
@ 2002-12-09 16:45       ` Jeff Mincy
From: Jeff Mincy @ 2002-12-09 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:00:18AM -0500, Jason Dufair wrote:
>>Randall R Schulz wrote:
>>>By the way, what is this business of putting individuals' names into a
>>>cygwin@cygwin.com email address?  I think that's a pretty questionable
>>>tactic.  I doubt Chris Faylor equates himself with the Cygwin project
>>>no matter how much of his professional effort is devoted to it.
>>>Similarly, putting a user's name into the Cygwin mailing list address
>>>hardly seems appropriate.
>>
>>FWIW, this may be a Mozilla artifact.  Mozilla collects addresses from
>>mail you read, and somehow I've managed to also get Christopher's name
>>associated with cygwin@cygwin.com in my address book.

nope, not an mozilla artifact.

> Yeah, look at my From above.  I do this fairly regularly to thwart
> people who subvert the Reply-To.

> So, it's no surprise to see my name associated with a cygwin at
> cygwin.com in a To:.  I certainly am not offended by it in any way.

I understand why you do this, but, I kind of wish you didn't.
I use bbdb in XEmacs to track email addresses.  bbdb broke badly when
it associated cygwin@cygwin.com with both you and corinna.  I wound up
having to create a fake record "Christopher/Corinna Faylor/Vinshen"
with email address "cygwin@cygwin.com" to get around the problem.

-jeff

* Re: Quick question
@ 2002-12-09 11:12         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-09 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:55:25AM -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>OK. So that probably explains the <mailto:Chris Faylor
><cywgin@cygwin.com>>. I probably should have noticed that.
>
>What about <dontmailto:Joe Q Cygwin User <cygwin@cyginw.com>>?

There's no reason to do anything like that, of course.

cgf

* Re: Quick question
@ 2002-12-09 11:10       ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-12-09 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris,

OK. So that probably explains the <mailto:Chris Faylor
<cywgin@cygwin.com>>. I probably should have noticed that.

What about <dontmailto:Joe Q Cygwin User <cygwin@cyginw.com>>?

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 10:46 2002-12-09, you wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:00:18AM -0500, Jason Dufair wrote:
> >Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >>By the way, what is this business of putting individuals' names into a
> >>cygwin@cygwin.com email address?  I think that's a pretty questionable
> >>tactic.  I doubt Chris Faylor equates himself with the Cygwin project
> >>no matter how much of his professional effort is devoted to it.
> >>Similarly, putting a user's name into the Cygwin mailing list address
> >>hardly seems appropriate.
> >
> >FWIW, this may be a Mozilla artifact.  Mozilla collects addresses from
> >mail you read, and somehow I've managed to also get Christopher's name
> >associated with cygwin@cygwin.com in my address book.
>
>Yeah, look at my From above.  I do this fairly regularly to thwart
>people who subvert the Reply-To.
>
>So, it's no surprise to see my name associated with a cygwin at
>cygwin.com in a To:.  I certainly am not offended by it in any way.
>
>cgf

* Re: Quick question
@ 2002-12-09 10:50     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-09 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-12-09 10:31   ` Jason Dufair
From: Jason Dufair @ 2002-12-09 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> By the way, what is this business of putting individuals' names into a
> cygwin@cygwin.com email address? I think that's a pretty questionable
> tactic. I doubt Chris Faylor equates himself with the Cygwin project
> no matter how much of his professional effort is devoted to it.
> Similarly, putting a user's name into the Cygwin mailing list address
> hardly seems appropriate.

FWIW, this may be a Mozilla artifact.  Mozilla collects addresses from
mail you read, and somehow I've managed to also get Christopher's name
associated with cygwin@cygwin.com in my address book.  I dutifully take
it out when I mail to the list, but someone less alert may miss this.  I
guess, in looking at Pete's headers, he's running exim.  Maybe it's
exhibiting similar behavior.

--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/

* Re: Quick question
@ 2002-12-08 14:56 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-12-08 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Pete,

"Stop the world. I want to get off."

It's a losing game. It's more likely your code is dependent on a bug that
got fixed than it is that a new bug was introduced. If it is the latter,
then whoever maintains the package with the bug will probably be happy to
apply a fix and to help in diagnosing and crafting that fix, if necessary.
It's always nice when those who discover problems report them to facilitate
the improvement of the software.

While it's commendable to craft work-arounds when necessary, it's also
advisable to consult with others before concluding that a work-around (or
atavism) is needed.

It's never a good strategy to anchor yourself to a particular release in
this way. Better to find the real problem and the proper fix and make your
own code and / or the Cygwin code (or the baseline code) better in the long
run.

By the way, what is this business of putting individuals' names into a
cygwin@cygwin.com email address? I think that's a pretty questionable
tactic. I doubt Chris Faylor equates himself with the Cygwin project no
matter how much of his professional effort is devoted to it. Similarly,
putting a user's name into the Cygwin mailing list address hardly seems
appropriate.

Lastly, we encourage people to follow the intelligent question-asking
practices outlined in
<http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>. In particular,
"Quick question" is a poor subject header becuase it says nothing about the
question being asked. I'm sure a majority of the questions asked here are
(or were deemed by their asker) to be "quick."

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 13:50 2002-12-08, Pete Gonzalez wrote:
>I want to create a Cygwin install using the old package versions from
>the Cygwin DLL 1.3.10 release.  (Basically I'm having problems with
>a GCC cross-compiler that built correctly back in March, and I think
>the culprit is one of the updated Cygwin packages.)  Is it possible
>to get a copy of the old distribution?
>
>Thanks,
>-Pete

* Re: Quick question
@ 2002-12-08 14:41 ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-12-08 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Gonzalez, cygwin

Pete Gonzalez <gonz@ratloop.com> wrote:

> I want to create a Cygwin install using the old package versions from
> the Cygwin DLL 1.3.10 release.  (Basically I'm having problems with
> a GCC cross-compiler that built correctly back in March, and I think
> the culprit is one of the updated Cygwin packages.)  Is it possible
> to get a copy of the old distribution?

No such copy exists (unless you can find someone who still has those
packages lying around on their hard disc).

Max.

* Quick question
@ 2002-12-08 14:33 Pete Gonzalez
From: Pete Gonzalez @ 2002-12-08 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)