* Cygwin install problem
@ 2000-06-01 19:12 Paul Brebner
From: Paul Brebner @ 2000-06-01 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I have been using cygwin on NT 4 on an older machine for some time, but
recently
had to get a replacement machine.  However, this time I don't seem to be
able to get
cygwin to install at all.  All I really need is bash.

1 	First problem was trying to use the standard NT unzip program on the
cygwin gz file.
	It hung and I had to reboot the machine (even killing it from task
manager didnt' work!)
2	Then tried using the setup.exe program.  This also seemed to get
stuck!
3	Currently if I try just doing setup cygwin it says that the newest
verison is installed
	and doesn't proceed - can I force it to?
4	Tried using the bootstrap.zip files, but it again hung trying to untar
one of the dll files!

What could be the problem please?

Paul.
--
Paul Brebner     CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
Advanced Distributed Software Architectures & Technologies

* Re: cygwin install problem
@ 2005-04-06  0:17 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2005-04-06  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

wangtie wrote:

> i download all file needed in cygwin webpage.
>
> and make a iso ,so our institute can use it easily.
>
> but to my surprise , during installation in local , it seems nothing wrong.
>
> but it doesn't run at all
>
> when i click the shortcut on desktop, a dos shell begin,and say cygwin is not a  internal command and so on.
>
> i add path in system var, and still nothing happen.
>
> what shall i do next.

You weren't really clear as to what exactly you're doing.

If you're downloading the raw packages to a CDR, running setup.exe on
every machine, choosing "Install From Local Directory", and entering the
location of the CDR, then it should work fine.  This is the only method
that cygwin was designed to support.

If you're installing to a local machine, burning that install directory
to CDR, taking that out of the drive, putting it into another system,
and then trying to run Cygwin from there (as a live CD) then it almost
certainly won't work.  Some people have experimented with this method
and been successfull in creating a "Cygwin live CD" but it takes a
little bit of work.  I don't have a URL handy but search the mailing
list archives and you should find messages describing what all was
required with this method.

Brian

* cygwin install problem
@ 2005-04-05  2:49 wangtie
From: wangtie @ 2005-04-05  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

i download all file needed in cygwin webpage.

and make a iso ,so our institute can use it easily.

but to my surprise , during installation in local , it seems nothing wrong.

but it doesn't run at all

when i click the shortcut on desktop, a dos shell begin,and say cygwin is not a  internal command and so on.

i add path in system var, and still nothing happen.

what shall i do next.

Email: wangtie@orsi.ouc.edu.cn
       stin.wang@gmail.com

* Re: Cygwin install problem.
       [not found] <405C84AE.4030707@andrew.cmu.edu>
@ 2004-03-20 19:35 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-03-20 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christophermbalz; +Cc: cygwin

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Christopher M. Balz wrote:

> Hi Igor,

Christopher,

Please don't send personal mail with Cygwin questions.  All Cygwin-related
questions should be addressed to the Cygwin mailing list, both because
that's the expected thing to do, and because it'll be archived and may
help others experiencing the same problems.  I'm directing my reply to
that list, and, for your convenience, setting the Reply-To:  accordingly.

Also, please see the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html> for the necessary information that
should accompany your problem report.

> Running 'setup' has broken my Cygwin installation, and it is a "no
> package" /etc/postinstall install problem

FYI, "No package" in setup simply means that setup could not determine
which package the postinstall script came from.  This functionality
(figuring out the package that the postinstall script belongs to) is
broken at the moment, but shouldn't affect the actual execution of the
postinstall scripts.

> With a similar problem you suggested:
>    >"mv /etc/postinstal/XFree86-bin-icons.sh{,.done}"
> What do you suggest to do if the file is unknown (I can't get it to
> repeat anymore; setup is dying earlier and earlier now as I keep trying
> to re-run setup) and the Cygwin prompt is broken?
>
>  - CB

I suggest looking at the setup logs (/var/log/setup.log*), especially the
".full" one (note that it gets overwritten every time you run setup).
Also, to find out why the Cygwin prompt window doesn't come up, you can
run "c:\cygwin\cygwin.bat" from a CMD window (that way you'll see the
error message, if any).

In what way is setup "dying"?  Does it actually crash?  Which version of
setup are you running?

FWIW, if you feel that your Cygwin install is broken, you might want to
rename the root directory and try to install anew.  If the install works,
you may be able to simply your data from parts of the old tree into the
new one, depending on the extent of modifications you've performed to the
installation...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: Cygwin install problem
@ 2001-08-27  8:13 Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-08-27  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'philippe.villet@acterna.com', cygwin

Phil-

Can you give us a few more details-

where are the setup.exe and setup.ini files?
Are they on a network share, or a local hard drive?

Do you have ANY other programs running at the time
you are trying to run setup.exe?

What version of setup.exe do you have?

-Peter