* Rsh starts notepad but no window
@ 2000-09-06  7:26 Karri.Honkoila
From: Karri.Honkoila @ 2000-09-06  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello!

I'm trying to start an application with a GUI in remote NT PC using rsh. For
testing I have tried to start notepad by command

rsh host notepad

Notepad seems to start because it appears in processes window of the task
manager but the notepad-window does not apper on screen.

Does anyone know solution ?

Regards Karri

* Re: Rsh starts notepad but no window
@ 2000-09-06 10:00 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-09-06 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Karri.Honkoila@fortum.com wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to start an application with a GUI in remote NT PC using rsh. For
> testing I have tried to start notepad by command
>
> rsh host notepad
>
> Notepad seems to start because it appears in processes window of the task
> manager but the notepad-window does not apper on screen.
>
> Does anyone know solution ?

AFAIK, there is no solution. The desktop of the rshd process isn't
the interactive desktop so it's invisible. As a rule, you can't
run GUI processes from a remote session.

However, if somebody has a solution, please let us know.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com

* Re: Rsh starts notepad but no window
@ 2000-09-06 23:25 norbert.bladt
From: norbert.bladt @ 2000-09-06 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Karri.Honkoila

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Karri.Honkoila@fortum.com wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm trying to start an application with a GUI in remote NT PC using rsh.
For
> > testing I have tried to start notepad by command
> >
> > rsh host notepad
> >
> > Notepad seems to start because it appears in processes window of the task
> > manager but the notepad-window does not apper on screen.
> >
> > Does anyone know solution ?
>
> AFAIK, there is no solution. The desktop of the rshd process isn't
> the interactive desktop so it's invisible. As a rule, you can't
> run GUI processes from a remote session.
Correct.
You have either the choice connecting from remote or running
a GUI application on the remote computer display (access the desktop).
And, this is an exclusive or meaning that choose one or the other
but not both.
Welcome to NT !
Remote sessions with redirected GUI output to your local display
ise not possible because there is no network
protocol for Windows messages (except the Terminal server edition).

> However, if somebody has a solution, please let us know.
If you really want remote control or access, i.e. running
a GUI application on the remote computer and have the display
of the remote computer shown on your local computer use:
	PC-Anywhere ($$$)
	IBM Netfinity
or
	VNC (resource hog on Windows) - someone mentioned this already.

Cheers,

Norbert - back from a small accident - Bladt.

* Re: Rsh starts notepad but no window
@ 2000-09-06 18:53 ` Shell M. Shrader
From: Shell M. Shrader @ 2000-09-06 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Schaible, Joerg, Karri.Honkoila; +Cc: cygwin-list

VNC has got to be one of the best additions to the "Thin client" world I've
seen come along in a while.  AT&T released the source and I can vouch for
how easy it is to apply custom mods.

If you go with the win32 version, you need a C++ compiler (I use MS VS6 SP3)
and a full tilt java compiler.  I went with the Sun Java 2 SDK (free from
sun).

Shell

Von: Karri.Honkoila@fortum.com [ mailto:Karri.Honkoila@fortum.com ]
Gesendet am: Mittwoch, 6. September 2000 16:16
An: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
Betreff: Rsh starts notepad but no window

@ 2000-09-06 17:19 Michael R. Barker
From: Michael R. Barker @ 2000-09-06 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Karri.Honkoila@fortum.com', cygwin

Karri,

	If I understand your question, you would like to launch a windows
gui app on a PC running cygwin's inetd daemon from a remote PC. Your test of
this is to use the rsh client on pc A to open notepad on pc B and when you
test notepad runs on pc B, but no GUI is displayed, is this correct?

	I have tried to accomplish this and was unable to get it to work.
This could be due to a misconfiguration of the rsh/rshd on my systems, note
that I have never setup any .rhosts files etc. However I was able to cause
notepad to run and be visible using Corinna Vinschen's latest ssh/sshd port
configured to use the inetd super daemon. So I know this can be done.

	If as you say notepad runs, is in the remote pc's task list, but no
gui is seen than I would check the settings for the account that the inetd
service is running under on the remote pc. As far as I can tell you must
configure the service to Log On as a System Account with the Allow Service
to Interact with Desktop checked. You can find these settings under Control
Panel/Services/Cygwin inetd/Startup. If you are running inetd under another
account, can you log on interactively using this account? If not that would
seem to be your problem. Check the User Rights under user manager and add
the right to Log On Locally to this user and see if that fixes it. Hope this
helped

Corinna's ssh port can be located here:
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Vinschen_Cori
nna/V1.1.4

- Mike Barker

@ 2000-09-06 14:35 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2000-09-06 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-list

Two thoughts come to mind...

A) Xfree86 for cygwin might help you out a little bit..
B) What happens if you run VNC in the context of the rshd's login?

Rob