* Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-05 19:32 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-05 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 08:39:12PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> >
> >The shortcut in the start menu, for starters.  Should we change it?  If
> >so, to what?
>
> I'd suggest 1.1.x.  I actually changed it to this in later versions of
> the non-GUI installer.  It used to be 1.1.0 and that caused problems
> so I changed it to 1.1.x.

Why denote the version on the shortcut?  Why not just Cygwin?  And don't tell
me to look at the DLL naming thread. ;^)

Cheers,

=====
--- < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com > ---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-05 19:37 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-05 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

> Why denote the version on the shortcut?  Why not just Cygwin?  And
> don't tell me to look at the DLL naming thread. ;^)

The Cygwin CD-ROM called itself "Cygwin 1.0" in the start menu so I
wanted to put something else to differentiate it.  Perhaps "Cygwin Net
Release"?

Within Red Hat we often need multiple versions of Cygwin installed for
various purposes.

* Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-05 19:41 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-05 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 07:31:48PM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
>>On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 08:39:12PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>>The shortcut in the start menu, for starters.  Should we change it?  If
>>>so, to what?
>>
>>I'd suggest 1.1.x.  I actually changed it to this in later versions of
>>the non-GUI installer.  It used to be 1.1.0 and that caused problems so
>>I changed it to 1.1.x.
>
>Why denote the version on the shortcut?  Why not just Cygwin?  And
>don't tell me to look at the DLL naming thread.  ;^)

Um.  Because.  Um.

You know what?  It shouldn't even be Cygwin.  It should be Bash.  That's
what gets started, right?  But then we get people who think that the
whole system is "bash".

(I'm not kidding.  I had a long email exchange with one person who
bashed his bash every bash sentence and couldn't bash understand why the
bash B20 processes were hanging.  He'd carefully bash uninstalled his
bash and reinstalled but was unable to bash the latest bash because all
he could bash was cygwin.  Or something like that.)

So, how about naming the shortcut "Cygwin Bash Shell"?

I know it's redundant (personal PIN number anyone?) but maybe it is
clear enough?

cgf

* Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-05 19:43   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-05 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:37:28PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> Why denote the version on the shortcut?  Why not just Cygwin?  And
>> don't tell me to look at the DLL naming thread. ;^)
>
>The Cygwin CD-ROM called itself "Cygwin 1.0" in the start menu so I
>wanted to put something else to differentiate it.  Perhaps "Cygwin Net
>Release"?
>
>Within Red Hat we often need multiple versions of Cygwin installed for
>various purposes.

How about a hierarchy:

	Cygwin Net Release
	  Bash Shell
	  Documentation
	  README

Hmm.  Did I just suggest adding the FAQ to the Cygwin net release?
I think we only have to add the FAQ URL, actually.

cgf

* Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-05 19:52   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-05 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> You know what?  It shouldn't even be Cygwin.  It should be Bash.  That's
> what gets started, right?  But then we get people who think that the
> whole system is "bash".

The desktop icon just says "Cygwin".

The start menu says "Cygnus Solutions" -> "Cygwin 1.1 Bash Shell"

I suppose we could add "Cygwin 1.1 DOS Shell" or something like that.
I'm not sure how to add URLs with the API we're using, but we can run
notepad.

* Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-05 21:56     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-05 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:52:34PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> You know what?  It shouldn't even be Cygwin.  It should be Bash.  That's
>> what gets started, right?  But then we get people who think that the
>> whole system is "bash".
>
>The desktop icon just says "Cygwin".
>
>The start menu says "Cygnus Solutions" -> "Cygwin 1.1 Bash Shell"
>
>I suppose we could add "Cygwin 1.1 DOS Shell" or something like that.
>I'm not sure how to add URLs with the API we're using, but we can run
>notepad.

Sorry.  I really should have checked what was setup.exe was doing.

I think we should just drop the 1.1 and make it "Cygwin Bash Shell".

As far as the FAQ is concerned, I just made a shortcut to the cygwin
web page on my desktop.  The contents look like this:

[InternetShortcut]
URL= http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
Modified=60A97C4BBE17C00166

Dunno if that helps or not.  I've never used the interface in
setup.c for creating shortcuts.

cgf

* Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-07  7:05   ` David A. Cobb
From: David A. Cobb @ 2000-09-07  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 07:31:48PM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> >>

> You know what?  It shouldn't even be Cygwin.  It should be Bash.  That's
> what gets started, right?  But then we get people who think that the
> whole system is "bash".

> So, how about naming the shortcut "Cygwin Bash Shell"?

In fact, that's what I call the desktop shortcut on my machine.  So every time
I run setup it happily adds (another) "cygwin" shortcut icon.  O well,
shortcuts aren't all that expensive.
--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"Don't buy or use crappy software"

* Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-14  0:39       ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2000-09-14  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin32

David M Dennis wrote:

> It broke out of the box on my Win 98 second edition desktop.
>
> The sequence was to install cygwin, then to install mks toolkit.

My MKS toolkit was installed first. I also have tools from virtunix.
Although
I have to be careful with PATH in the two environments, I am still
regularly using both environments and some of the virtunix tools.

Hope you succeed in having coexisting environments.

Cheers

Don Sharp

@ 2000-09-13 17:07     ` David M Dennis
From: David M Dennis @ 2000-09-13 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwsharp; +Cc: gnuwin32

@ 2000-09-06  1:02   ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2000-09-06  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin32

@ 2000-09-05 20:19 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-05 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:

> So, how about naming the shortcut "Cygwin Bash Shell"?
>
> I know it's redundant (personal PIN number anyone?) but maybe it is
> clear enough?

Sounds clear to me.  If I don't like it I can always right mouse click and
rename it.

Cheers,

=====

@ 2000-09-05 17:44         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-05 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 08:39:12PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>>The cygwin "dll" is part of the cygwin "package" in a cygwin "install".
>>>Just like the cc1.exe "file" is part of the gcc "package" in a cygwin
>>>"install".
>>
>>Is there actually a Cygwin reference 1.1 somewhere?  I always refer to
>>it as 1.1.x for precisely this reason.  Dropping the extra digit seems
>>to confuse people.
>
>The shortcut in the start menu, for starters.  Should we change it?  If
>so, to what?

I'd suggest 1.1.x.  I actually changed it to this in later versions of
the non-GUI installer.  It used to be 1.1.0 and that caused problems
so I changed it to 1.1.x.

Hopefully the number of people who think that 'x' denotes something
besides a place-holder will be less than the number of people who
think that 1.1 != 1.1.4.

cgf

* Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-05 17:39       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-05 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-09-05 17:23     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-05 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 07:49:34PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>I'll take a shot at some of these...
>
>>The install version is 1.1, does that render prior versions
>>incompatible
>
>You should be able to run old programs with a new cygwin installation,
>but of course we recommend upgrading everything if you have the CDROM
>or B19 or B20.

Actually newer versions of the Cygwin DLL will work with Cygwin 1.1.3,
1.1.2, 1.1.1, 1.0, and B20.1.  This is reverse chronological order.
None of the above versions will correctly interoperate with B19.

>> does that include DLL 1.1.4
>
>It includes a 1.1.<something> DLL, with the current <something> being
>"4" at the moment.
>
>> how does DLL 1.1.4 which one sees downloadable separately sometimes,
>> differ from install cygwin 1.1 ?
>
>The cygwin "dll" is part of the cygwin "package" in a cygwin
>"install".  Just like the cc1.exe "file" is part of the gcc "package"
>in a cygwin "install".

Is there actually a Cygwin reference 1.1 somewhere?  I always refer to
it as 1.1.x for precisely this reason.  Dropping the extra digit seems
to confuse people.

>>is B20 compatible with either DLL 1.1.4 or install version 1.1.  If not
>>should one stay off of B20 sites entirely.  Is it possible to back out
>>of v1.1 to B20 if one needs to in order to run a third part compile
>>binary or are all binaries of B20 capable of installing on 1.1 ?
>
>You should be able to run B20-aware programs with 1.1.  We almost never
>recommend reverting to a beta.

If you can't run a "B20" .exe with the 1.1.4 DLL then you've found a bug
in Cygwin 1.1.4.  Report it and we'll try to fix it.

cgf

* Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-05 16:49   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-05 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmd; +Cc: cygwin

I'll take a shot at some of these...

> The install version is 1.1, does that render prior versions incompatible

You should be able to run old programs with a new cygwin installation,
but of course we recommend upgrading everything if you have the CDROM
or B19 or B20.

> does that include DLL 1.1.4

It includes a 1.1.<something> DLL, with the current <something> being
"4" at the moment.

> how does DLL 1.1.4 which one sees downloadable separately sometimes,
> differ from install cygwin 1.1 ?

The cygwin "dll" is part of the cygwin "package" in a cygwin
"install".  Just like the cc1.exe "file" is part of the gcc "package"
in a cygwin "install".

With the new net release and setup program, packages can be upgraded
independently of each other.

> is B20 compatible with either DLL 1.1.4 or install version 1.1.  If not should
> one stay off of B20 sites entirely.  Is it possible to back out of v1.1 to B20
> if one needs to in order to run a third part compile binary or are all binaries
> of B20 capable of installing on 1.1 ?

You should be able to run B20-aware programs with 1.1.  We almost
never recommend reverting to a beta.

> What rpm or other command would be useful to determine what version
> of cygwin is running.

Either "uname -a" in a cygwin window (the third field), or use the
standard Windows "properties" option in explorer (the version tab).
Or, "grep %%% cygwin1.dll" ;-)

> does cygwin32, CYGWIN_98-4.10 and cygwin refer to different install versions or
> compatible systems.  cygwin32 is it 1.1, or B20.  CYGWIN_98-4.10 is it B20 or
> 1.1 .

We don't use the name "cygwin32" any more, for legal reasons.  It's
"cygwin" now.  The CYGWIN_* version is the version of *windows* you're
running, not the version of *cygwin*.  You are running Windows 98
version 4.10.

> Is mks Toolkit install capable of installing on same machine as cygwin ?

Sure.  The cygwin shortcuts set up the path, so the two shouldn't
conflict.

* versions/compatibilities FAQ request
@ 2000-09-05 16:38 ` David M Dennis
From: David M Dennis @ 2000-09-05 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)