* ifconf
@ 2000-09-13  2:30 stefan
From: stefan @ 2000-09-13  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello CygWin'ers,

i got two small questions.
1) Will there be support for mkfifo() in the cygwin1.dll ? I know POSIX
   leaves the behaviour of named pipes undocumented, but would be nice
   to have wrappers for CreateNamedPipe ...

2) I noticed you can list network devices and addresses. Here is what i
   got:

--- list of local interfaces you can start ip services on ---
                                     lo0: 127.0.0.1
                                    eth0: 192.168.2.7
                                    eth1: 0.0.0.0

   On the other hand i coded the same for my MingW32 port and got this:

--- list of local interfaces you can start ip services on ---
                            PPP Adapter.: 0.0.0.0
                    Novell 2000 Adapter.: 192.168.2.7
               MS TCP Loopback interface: 127.0.0.1

   Is it possible to determine if a device is "eth" or "ppp" ? The "eth1"
   in the upper list (with cygwin) should be: "ppp0" or something likely.
   I am using the old CygWinB20.1 so this might be outdated. Please tell
   me if so ?!

Thanks in advance.

stefan@lkcc.org

* Re: ifconf
@ 2000-09-13 13:19 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-09-13 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

stefan wrote:

> Hello CygWin'ers,
>
> i got two small questions.
> 1) Will there be support for mkfifo() in the cygwin1.dll ? I know POSIX
>    leaves the behaviour of named pipes undocumented, but would be nice
>    to have wrappers for CreateNamedPipe ...

I tried that already half a year ago but ran into problems in
an early stage. So it's still on my TODO list and I'm still
sporadically thinking how to implement that "nice".

One problem is that we would like to support NamedPipes on 9X
as well. This would result in using a similar method as Sergey
Okhapkin introduced when implementing UNIX domain sockets for
Cygwin instead of the pure NT/W2K method of using native named
pipes.

However, patches are gratefully accepted (C)cgf

> 2) I noticed you can list network devices and addresses. Here is what i
>    got:
>
> --- list of local interfaces you can start ip services on ---
>                                      lo0: 127.0.0.1
>                                     eth0: 192.168.2.7
>                                     eth1: 0.0.0.0
>
>    On the other hand i coded the same for my MingW32 port and got this:
>
> --- list of local interfaces you can start ip services on ---
>                             PPP Adapter.: 0.0.0.0
>                     Novell 2000 Adapter.: 192.168.2.7
>                MS TCP Loopback interface: 127.0.0.1
>
>    Is it possible to determine if a device is "eth" or "ppp" ? The "eth1"
>    in the upper list (with cygwin) should be: "ppp0" or something likely.
>    I am using the old CygWinB20.1 so this might be outdated. Please tell
>    me if so ?!

It should be outdated. Try using the latest net release it should
result in sth you like to see:

--- list of local interfaces you can start ip services on ---
                                     lo0: 127.0.0.1
                                    eth0: 192.168.2.7
                                    pppX: 0.0.0.0

with X corresponding to the NdisWan interface:

	NdisWan7 <=> ppp7

If you get problems, keep me informed (through the mailing list, please)

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com

* Re: ifconf
@ 2000-09-14 11:18   ` stefan
From: stefan @ 2000-09-14 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >    Is it possible to determine if a device is "eth" or "ppp" ? The "eth1"
> >    in the upper list (with cygwin) should be: "ppp0" or something likely.
> >    I am using the old CygWinB20.1 so this might be outdated. Please tell
> >    me if so ?!
>
> It should be outdated. Try using the latest net release it should
> result in sth you like to see:
>
> --- list of local interfaces you can start ip services on ---
>                                      lo0: 127.0.0.1
>                                     eth0: 192.168.2.7
>                                     pppX: 0.0.0.0
>
> with X corresponding to the NdisWan interface:
>
> 	NdisWan7 <=> ppp7
>
> If you get problems, keep me informed (through the mailing list, please)

I tried the net release (1.1.4) but with the same result. If you need more
information about my system, please tell me.

I got now two more questions:

Either forked() processes are blocking or a connect() with O_NONBLOCK...
this what my program said:

[2000/09/14 16:23:01] notice: connect: Connection refused
[2000/09/14 16:23:01] notice: nut: connecting 127.0.0.1:6346
[2000/09/14 16:23:50] error: dns: gethostbyname: Not owner (cho.kgw.TU-Berlin.DE)
[2000/09/14 16:23:50] debug: dns: coserver request processed
[2000/09/14 16:23:50] notice: connect: Attempt to connect timed out without establishing a connection

The gethostbyname is done in another process. the connect() in the main
process. Why does it block 49 seconds ? Works out fine in linux and my
mingw32 port.

Another problem was my configure script: I couldnt check for a working
mmap but for munmap. Is this problem known to you ? mmap itself seems
implemented but the run-check failed.

Thanks in advance.

ela@lkcc.org

--
-- It's extremely painful to know that to eat I must play Mother
-- Culture's game. I WANT OUT.

* Re: ifconf
       [not found] <200009131312.GAA06633@california.sandia.gov>
@ 2000-09-13 14:13 ` stefan
From: stefan @ 2000-09-13 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, friedman_hill ernest j wrote:

> I have been developing named pipe support for cygwin which I hope to
> submit for inclusion in a future version. I have finally gotten
> my employer to sign away the rights to the code, so I will hopefully
> be sharing it with the list soon.
>
> Note that despite the name, the semantics of UNIX FIFOs and Win32
> named pipes are completely different, so you can't use win32 named
> pipes to emulate FIFOs.

Yes I know. In my own port of named pipe support i wanted to make use of
NT's ability to share named pipes over M$ network. But unfortunaly i ran
into problems with it because there are no programs actually using that
kerneld feature which could tell how to do. Another point is that named
pipes cannot be used in Win9x and WinME. Anyway you'll find the symbols in
kerneld. Thus you wont need different binaries...

I would be *very* interested in what you have !!!

stefan@lkcc.org

* ifconf
@ 2000-09-13  2:25 stefan