* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-19 11:30 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-19 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff J Jensen, cygwin

--- Jeff J Jensen <jeffjensen@visi.com> wrote:
> Thank you Chuck and Earnie for the replies.  It is clearer now.
>
> There is lots of info easily found on _using_ CVS, but the simple steps to
> begin I have not found.  Is this missing (an assumption of a certain CVS
> expertise level), or have I been blind to it!?  Can someone point me to the
> CVS setup docs for using the prebuilt binaries in the Cygwin distribution
> (or is it just that simple: set CVSROOT, and do init?  If yes and missing,
> then tell me where/how to add a note and I'll write it up for the next
> beginner-like person...I spent too many hours looking for getting started
> info!)?

`cvs --help' should be a good start as well is `info --file
/usr/info/cvs.info'.

> An advice question:
> For CVS with Cygwin, where is/are the better places for the CVSROOT
> directory?  Particularly, I am wondering about c:\cvsroot (will it work?)
> or c:\cygwin\cvsroot.

Your preference.  If you're using the Cygwin CVS you should use POSIX paths
though.  I use CVSROOT=/.CVS.

Cheers,

=====
--- < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com > ---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-19 10:20 Jeff J Jensen
From: Jeff J Jensen @ 2000-09-19 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> [...]

begin I have not found.  Is this missing (an assumption of a certain CVS
expertise level), or have I been blind to it!?  Can someone point me to the
CVS setup docs for using the prebuilt binaries in the Cygwin distribution
(or is it just that simple: set CVSROOT, and do init?  If yes and missing,
then tell me where/how to add a note and I'll write it up for the next
beginner-like person...I spent too many hours looking for getting started
info!)?

An advice question:
For CVS with Cygwin, where is/are the better places for the CVSROOT
directory?  Particularly, I am wondering about c:\cvsroot (will it work?)
or c:\cygwin\cvsroot.

> Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 06:56:10 -0400
> From: Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
> To: Jeff Jensen <jeffjensen@nospam.visi.com>
> Cc: cygwin@sources.redhat.com
> Subject: Re: CVS install
>
> Jeff,
>   CVS is included in the default cygwin install.  Most of your questions
> below deal with building CVS from its own source files; there is no need
> to do that unless you really want to.  (If you do want to build from
> source, then download cvs-1.10.8-X-src.tar.gz from a cygwin mirror,
> unpack, and follow the instructions in
> <cvs-src>/CYGWIN-PATCHES/cvs-1.10.8.README)
>
> To get started with CVS (after you've compiled it, or assuming you want
> to use the precompiled version installed with cygwin by default), do
> this:
>   export CVSROOT=<where you want your repository>
>   cvs init
>
> Then, follow the instructions in various online sources to see how you
> actually USE cvs.  Try:
> http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/doc/cvs_toc.html
> http://www.loria.fr/~molli/fom-serve/cache/1.html
>
> --Chuck
>

> Jeff Jensen wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to learn and install CVS for the first time, and am feeling a
> > bit overwhelmed.  I have a few basic questions...
> >
> > I am using the FAQ that came with the latest Cygwin (I just upgraded to
> > latest a couple of days ago), and it mentions having to install RCS.  Is RCS
> > included in the Cygwin net install, or need acquiring separately?  (I did
> > not see anything in my Cygwin install, so I think I need to find it...)
> >
> > When the FAQ says "see 1B.4", etc., where is that?
> >
> > Is there a set of install directions for the CVS with Cygwin?  The FAQ
> > instructions talk about editing source and building, which is not what I
> > think I need to do with a distribution of binaries, but I do not know.  Even
> > the README mentions needing to use source...
> >
> > Where & how do I get these files that the FAQ says to review:
> > "cvs/src/options.h" and "cvs/src/rcs.h" files, README, INSTALL and ChangeLog
> > files.
> > It is a pathetic question, but I have never done it!  I have only used
> > ClearCase and VSS in a networked environment, and a little CVS already

* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-19  6:43 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-19  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Jensen, cygwin

--- Jeff Jensen <jeffjensen@nospam.visi.com> wrote:
> I am trying to learn and install CVS for the first time, and am feeling a
> bit overwhelmed.  I have a few basic questions...
>
> I am using the FAQ that came with the latest Cygwin (I just upgraded to
> latest a couple of days ago), and it mentions having to install RCS.  Is RCS
> included in the Cygwin net install, or need acquiring separately?  (I did
> not see anything in my Cygwin install, so I think I need to find it...)

RCS is not needed to use CVS as CVS contains the parts of RCS it needs
imbedded.

Cheers,

=====
--- < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com > ---