From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Groups command failing me in Windows 10
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 23:34:17 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2020-05-12 18:43, Chris Wagner wrote:
> On 2020-05-12 3:45 pm, David wrote:
>> The groups command in the cmd window on Windows 10 shows None as my first group.
>> When I use the dir command to create a file, the security display
>> shows no error.
>> When I use the touch command to create a file, I get "The permissions
>> on ... are incorrectly ordered [NULL if first]
>
> Hi David.  The first thing to realize is that POSIX permissions and Windows ACLs
> are almost impossible to reconcile.  Best to pick one and ignore the other.
>
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html has additional information.
>
> To set your group you should do it in /etc/passwd.
> If you don't have one, do: mkpasswd > /etc/passwd
>
> Then edit the file and change the 4th field on the line with your username to
> the group Id for Users.
>
> david:*:123456:197153:
> ->
> david:*:123456:545:
>
> Then restart ALL Cygwin processes and id should show Users as your primary
> group.  Any files created by a Windows process however will still put None as
> the group.
>
> Hope that helps.

Instead of groups, use id, which shows both ids and names by default, in a form
where you can easily distinguish names.

Cygwin can use AD DC and SAM entries, so it's better *NOT* to create /etc/passwd
and /etc/group files, and make tweaks in /etc/nsswitch.conf if required.

For user settings, you can change your primary group in Cygwin for a local SAM
account using e.g.:

	$ net user $USER /Comment:"<cygwin group=\"Users\">"

among other options; see the *Note* below *The desc schema*:

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch-desc

for full details.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]