* Re: Bogus hostname forcing in RedHat source RPMS
@ 2000-12-18  5:57 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-12-18  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson, s_c_biggs; +Cc: cygwin

--- "Charles S. Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
> "Stephen C. Biggs" wrote:
> >
> > This is a real shame, if there is no way to override the bogus
> > hostname, because, with my port for RPM 4.0, cygwin users can
> > rebuild and use almost all of the nifty Linux tools that redhat has.
>
> I hate to burst your bubble, but cygwin is not linux.  The only packages
> for which your statement is true, are those that have already been
> ported to work with cygwin, or you get lucky (see below).  It just ain't
> as simple as:

I would like to also add that discussions of RPM is OT for this list.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com

---         < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com >         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ > ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows < http://www.mingw.org/ >   ---

* Re: Bogus hostname forcing in RedHat source RPMS
@ 2000-12-18 21:09 ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-18 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd, cygwin

On 18 Dec 2000, at 5:57, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- "Charles S. Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > "Stephen C. Biggs" wrote:
> > >
> > > This is a real shame, if there is no way to override the bogus
> > > hostname, because, with my port for RPM 4.0, cygwin users can
> > > rebuild and use almost all of the nifty Linux tools that redhat has.
> >
> > I hate to burst your bubble, but cygwin is not linux.  The only packages
> > for which your statement is true, are those that have already been
> > ported to work with cygwin, or you get lucky (see below).  It just ain't
> > as simple as:
> >

> I would like to also add that discussions of RPM is OT for this list.

I agree, but this isn't about RPM, rather RPM as it relates to porting
it to cygwin, and that IS on topic for this list, no?

@ 2000-12-18 21:10 ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-18 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan McLean, cygwin

On 18 Dec 2000, at 20:28, Evan McLean wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 18:36:25 -0800, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> >Why can't cygwin be Unix??
>
> How much windows programming have you done?  :-)

Not enough to know better, and too much to ever feel clean again ;-)

@ 2000-12-18  6:14 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-12-18  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: s_c_biggs, Charles S. Wilson, cygwin

--- "Stephen C. Biggs" <s_c_biggs@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> about are strictly Linux, or hopefully POSIX compatible, then the
> _WIN32 ifdefs shouldn't be an issue... if they are, then, oh well.

CC='gcc -mno-win32' configure ... will cause _WIN32 to be undefined.

Cheers,

=====

@ 2000-12-18  1:28 Evan McLean
From: Evan McLean @ 2000-12-18  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-12-17 18:37   ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-17 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson, cygwin

On 17 Dec 2000, at 21:00, Charles S. Wilson wrote:

> "Stephen C. Biggs" wrote:
> >
> > This is a real shame, if there is no way to override the bogus
> > hostname, because, with my port for RPM 4.0, cygwin users can
> > rebuild and use almost all of the nifty Linux tools that redhat has.
>
> I hate to burst your bubble, but cygwin is not linux.  The only packages
> for which your statement is true, are those that have already been
> ported to work with cygwin, or you get lucky (see below).  It just ain't
> as simple as:
>
> Oh look, a 'foobar' package.
> download.
> unpack
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> (which is basically what rpm will do when you use it to rebuild a
> package based on some random linux-ish spec file.)
>
> This will only work if:
>
> a) the program doesn't run afoul of any of the windows-isms in cygwin
> b) and doesn't attempt to use linux-ish functions that have not yet been
> implemented in cygwin
> c) doesn't have any extraneous '#ifdef _WIN32' blocks that REALLY maen
> 'true windows-native' but get tripped by cygwin's use of that #define.
>
> Now, you *might* get lucky and satisfy these requirements with some new,
> random package -- but probably not.

If it attempts to use a Linux-ish function, then it shouldn't build
because it won't be in the library, or if it is and is not implemented
properly then it is a cygwin bug...  Since the packages I am talking
about are strictly Linux, or hopefully POSIX compatible, then the
_WIN32 ifdefs shouldn't be an issue... if they are, then, oh well.

I believe that I have gotten "lucky" because I was able to compile the
vanilla apache-1.3.14 tarball out of the box with only one minor
change (they were using #ifndef h_errno (??) and I just placed an
#ifndef __CYGWIN__ block around the extern int h_errno), and it
seems to run... I can get web hits, and I verified it from someone at
a different site with their Internet connection. A really really pretty
cool verification of the tools.

I also seem to be able to compile, install and use bind-8.2.2-
patchlevel-7 out of the box... with, again, some very minor changes
and a porting directory for cygwin.

I am going to try to do the same for INN and see if I, again, get
lucky :)

> So you shouldn't be surprised that some packages fail to build with a
> simple 'rpm --rebuild'  With regards to the particular package you
> reference, libtool, note that there is ongoing work to cygwin-ify
> libtool, and get it to work with dll's and the latest cygwin
> gcc/binutils -- search the cygwin mailing list archives for 'Gary
> Vaughan'.)

Ok... but it seems to me, the statement "cygwin is not Unix"
notwithstanding, that cygwin IS Unix to a very great degree... Libtool
seems to run on my machine, altho it, of course, won't deal with dlls
since Unix never heard of them... It seems to me that a lot of this
porting is unneeded effort if you have the basic (and not so basic)
POSIX emulation in place...  You should be able to plug and play
vanilla POSIX compatible packages. Why go to all the effort of using
dll's at all?  Once you have the basic cygwin emulation dll in place,
all else can run as if it was on a Unix box (except for bogosities in
Win98, etc... I am running NT 4.0 workstation, so I don't have this
issue...)

Why can't cygwin be Unix??

@ 2000-12-17 18:00 ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2000-12-17 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: s_c_biggs; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2000-12-17 17:39 Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-17 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Trying to install (rpm --rebuild) libtool from source rpm downloaded
from ftp.redhat.com bombs because it looks like the SPEC file is
trying to force an invalid host type (i386-pc-cygwin_nt-4.0 when it
SHOULD be i686-pc-cygwin) if it sees CYGWIN.

Going to the source directory of the installed code and running
./configure (with everything but the hostname) and make/make
install works just fine.

This seems to be the case for all of the source rpms (?) (I tried two,
libtool and grep).

I really know nothing about how to use RPM except for the basic
stuff, so if there is a way to override this host name forcing, please
advise.

This is a real shame, if there is no way to override the bogus
hostname, because, with my port for RPM 4.0, cygwin users can
rebuild and use almost all of the nifty Linux tools that redhat has.

Output from my attempt.

$ rpm --rebuild libtool-1.3.5-8.src.rpm
Installing libtool-1.3.5-8.src.rpm
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.70003
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ rm -rf libtool-1.3.5
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/libtool-1.3.5.tar.gz
+ tar -xf -
+ STATUS=0
+ [ 0 -ne 0 ]
+ cd libtool-1.3.5
+ /bin/id -u
+ [ 500 = 0 ]
+ /bin/id -u
+ [ 500 = 0 ]
+ /bin/chmod -Rf a+r,g-w,o-w .
+ echo Patch #1 (libtool-1.2f-cache.patch):
Patch #1 (libtool-1.2f-cache.patch):
+ patch -p1 -s
+ echo Patch #2 (libtool-1.3.5-mktemp.patch):
Patch #2 (libtool-1.3.5-mktemp.patch):
+ patch -p1 -s
+ echo Patch #3 (libtool-1.3.5-nonneg.patch):
Patch #3 (libtool-1.3.5-nonneg.patch):
+ patch -p1 -s
+ exit 0
Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.56589
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd libtool-1.3.5
+ CFLAGS=-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686
+ export CFLAGS
+ CXXFLAGS=-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686
+ export CXXFLAGS
+ FFLAGS=-O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686
+ export FFLAGS
+ [ -f configure.in ]
+ /bin/true --copy --force
+ ./configure i386-pc-cygwin_nt-4.0 --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/usr/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/usr/var --shareds
tatedir=/usr/com --mandir=/usr/man --
infodir=/usr/info
configure: warning: i386-pc-cygwin_nt-4.0: invalid host type
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking host system type... Invalid configuration `i386-pc-cygwin_nt-4.0': machine `i386-pc-cygwin_nt' not recognized

checking build system type... Invalid configuration `i386-pc-cygwin_nt-4.0': machine `i386-pc-cygwin_nt' not recognized

checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating doc/Makefile
creating tests/Makefile
configuring in libltdl
running /bin/sh ./configure  i386-pc-cygwin_nt-4.0 --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/usr/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/us
r/var --sharedstatedir=/usr/com --mandir=/u
configure: warning: i386-pc-cygwin_nt-4.0: invalid host type
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for working const... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking host system type... Invalid configuration `i386-pc-cygwin_nt-4.0': machine `i386-pc-cygwin_nt' not recognized

checking build system type... Invalid configuration `i386-pc-cygwin_nt-4.0': machine `i386-pc-cygwin_nt' not recognized

checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
updating cache .././config.cache
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed
configure: error: ./configure failed for libltdl