* How do I create the locatedb??
@ 2000-12-30 23:57 Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2000-12-30 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hmmm cygwin comes with locate.. but it needs a database to search on,
how do I create that database?

The documentation referrs to updatedb, but I can't find it anywhere?

        /Andy

* Re: How do I create the locatedb??
@ 2000-12-31  4:50 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2000-12-31  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Markebo, cygwin

<31 Dec 2000, 8:56 Uhr wars, als Andrew Markebo folgendes schrub:>
< How do I create the locatedb?? >

> Hmmm cygwin comes with locate.. but it needs a database to search on,
> how do I create that database?
>
> The documentation referrs to updatedb, but I can't find it anywhere?

It is not included in the standard cygwin-dist:-/
It is included in findutlis-4.1, which i made because of that fact,
to be find at:
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Haase_Gerrit/1.1/

There is a binary-version, findutils-4.1-1-cygwin.tar.gz, which includes updatedb,
it installs in /usr, not in /usr/local, so please uninstall old findutils at first,
before installing this 'complete' version.
Look at the README please for further information, e.g. how to build by yourself,
feel free to ask on the list.
--
=^..^=
Gerrit Peter Haase

* Re: How do I create the locatedb??
@ 2000-12-31  5:52   ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2000-12-31  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerrit.haase; +Cc: cygwin

Thanx!

Uhm, any special reason for it not to be included in the cygwin dist?
I think it is weird that locate comes, but no tool to build the DB?

@ 2000-12-31  6:28     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2000-12-31  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--
=^..^=

@ 2000-12-31  9:27       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-31  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 03:30:41PM +0100, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

><31 Dec 2000, 14:50 Uhr wars, als Andrew Markebo folgendes schrub:>
>< Re: How do I create the locatedb?? >
>
>> Thanx!
>>
>> Uhm, any special reason for it not to be included in the cygwin dist?
>> I think it is weird that locate comes, but no tool to build the DB?
>>
>>         /Andy
>
>I don't know of any special reasons, as i asked on cygwin list, i got no
>response, so i built it for myself, which fortunatly works OOTB.
>
>One little problem i got was, that no tests were possible, because dejagnu
>didn't work correct, but after a short look at dejagnu, it isn't that easy,
>and i got no time left, maybe next year:-))

The reason is the same as for any "Why the hell isn't this in the
distribution???" question.

Most of us who are regulars in this mailing list are extremely tired of
answering this question over and over and over and over and over and...

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC44
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC76

cgf

* Re: How do I create the locatedb??
@ 2000-12-31 10:18         ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2000-12-31 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

OK sorry, my fault, haven't read the faq..

Basically if I missed locate also I would suspect something like
this..

Ahh well!

Happy New Year!

        /Andy