* Support for largefile: stat() returns 32 bit value
@ 2001-01-08 11:05 Craig Nelson
From: Craig Nelson @ 2001-01-08 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All, Just wondering if a future release will contain support for large files ie: size greater than
2GB..

The stat() function call uses a "struct stat" (defined in stat.h).  This st_size field is declared as
an off_t and sizeof() reports that is a 4 byte quantity.  As such, single files larger than 2GB show an
invalid value for the st_size field.

Is there a short term workaround for this?

Thanks in advance.

Craig Nelson,
Cameo Systems Inc.

* Re: Support for largefile: stat() returns 32 bit value
@ 2001-01-08 11:25 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-08 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 11:08:05AM -0800, Craig Nelson wrote:
>Hi All, Just wondering if a future release will contain support for
>large files ie: size greater than 2GB..

There are no plans to do this, no.  As always, we are not adverse to
contributions, though.

>The stat() function call uses a "struct stat" (defined in stat.h).  This st_size field is declared as
>an off_t and sizeof() reports that is a 4 byte quantity.  As such, single files larger than 2GB show an
>invalid value for the st_size field.
>
>Is there a short term workaround for this?

Not that I know of, no.

cgf

* CRLF question (yeah, again :-p)
@ 2001-01-08 18:33 ` Dan Haynes
From: Dan Haynes @ 2001-01-08 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Running into a small issue with CR LF expansion again and I can't quite
figure out if this is expected behaviour or not.

We're using a clean install of Cygwin 1.7 on NT 4.0 SP6a, all mounts are
text mode, all mounts on NTFS volumes.

In a makefile I do

	cmd /c "dir /ad /b" | sort >foo

...and the lines end up with extra CR characters appended (CR CR LF at the
end of the lines)

Changing the command line to:

	cmd /c "dir /ad /b" >foo1
	sort foo1 >foo

...works fine.

I verified that sort.exe is the Cygwin version and not the NT one.

Is it to be expected that piping the output of a Win32 app to a Cygwin app
might/will result in end-of-line character confusion? Or should this work
and I need to look at sort to find out what's happening?

Thanks in advance,

  Dan

* Re: CRLF question (yeah, again :-p)
@ 2001-01-08 18:45   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-08 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Haynes; +Cc: cygwin

Dan Haynes wrote:

> Running into a small issue with CR LF expansion again and I can't quite
> figure out if this is expected behaviour or not.
>
> We're using a clean install of Cygwin 1.7 on NT 4.0 SP6a, all mounts are
> text mode, all mounts on NTFS volumes.
>
> In a makefile I do
>
>         cmd /c "dir /ad /b" | sort >foo
>
> ...and the lines end up with extra CR characters appended (CR CR LF at the
> end of the lines)
>
> Changing the command line to:
>
>         cmd /c "dir /ad /b" >foo1
>         sort foo1 >foo
>
> ...works fine.
>
> I verified that sort.exe is the Cygwin version and not the NT one.
>
> Is it to be expected that piping the output of a Win32 app to a Cygwin app
> might/will result in end-of-line character confusion? Or should this work
> and I need to look at sort to find out what's happening?

The default mode for pipes in cmd.exe is now textmode.  Add the `binmode'
qualifier to your CYGWIN environment variable and restart all Cygwin
processes to change the processing mode to binary mode for pipes.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* RE: CRLF question (yeah, again :-p)
@ 2001-01-08 19:25     ` Dan Haynes