* xterm-like terminal emulator
@ 2001-01-11 12:25 Dan Lipofsky
From: Dan Lipofsky @ 2001-01-11 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I am looking for a terminal emulator I can run bash in that
acts like xterm, specifically that does cutting and pasting
like an xterm and not like the DOS window.  I know that the
XFree project has been ported and it includes xterm, but it
seems to take over your whole screen.  I want just a simple
non-intrusive xterm.  Anyone knnow of one?  Thanks,
Dan

* Re: xterm-like terminal emulator
@ 2001-01-11 12:46 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-11 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Lipofsky, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 03:24 PM 1/11/2001, Dan Lipofsky wrote:
>I am looking for a terminal emulator I can run bash in that
>acts like xterm, specifically that does cutting and pasting
>like an xterm and not like the DOS window.  I know that the
>XFree project has been ported and it includes xterm, but it
>seems to take over your whole screen.  I want just a simple
>non-intrusive xterm.  Anyone knnow of one?  Thanks,
>Dan

You can try rxvt.  Take a look at the links on the Cygwin homepage and/or
look in the mail archives for pointers to it...

* Re: xterm-like terminal emulator
@ 2001-01-11 13:07 ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2001-01-11 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Lipofsky; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Try
http://www.io.com/~bub/rxvt.html

This is an implementation of RXVT (which is more or less a stripped down
version of xterm) that is implemented on top of a nifty version of the X
library, which translates the X windowing function calls into Windows
windowing function calls.

Anyway, it works for me.

--wpd

Dan Lipofsky wrote:

> I am looking for a terminal emulator I can run bash in that
> acts like xterm, specifically that does cutting and pasting
> like an xterm and not like the DOS window.  I know that the
> XFree project has been ported and it includes xterm, but it
> seems to take over your whole screen.  I want just a simple
> non-intrusive xterm.  Anyone knnow of one?  Thanks,
> Dan
>
> --

* Re: xterm-like terminal emulator
@ 2001-01-11 14:52   ` Charles S. Wilson
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-01-11 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: Dan Lipofsky, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Patrick Doyle wrote:

> Try
> http://www.io.com/~bub/rxvt.html
>
> This is an implementation of RXVT (which is more or less a stripped down
> version of xterm) that is implemented on top of a nifty version of the X
> library, which translates the X windowing function calls into Windows
> windowing function calls.
>
> Anyway, it works for me.

But AFAIRC, it doesn't do "unix-like" cut and paste (e.g.
mouse-highlight and middle-button-click), which is what Dan wants.
<plug> Try the rxvt port at CygUtils
( http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/ </plug>.  It
needs an Xserver though -- you can configure the cygwin-xfree server NOT
to call a window manager I think, or you can use the demo version of
starnet's X-Win32 server ( http://www.starnet.com )  It'll run for an
unlimited number of two-hour sessions which isn't too much of a
restriction.

--Chuck

* Re: xterm-like terminal emulator
@ 2001-01-11 15:11     ` MarK Stucky
From: MarK Stucky @ 2001-01-11 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > This is an implementation of RXVT (which is more or less a stripped down
> > version of xterm) that is implemented on top of a nifty version of the X
> > library, which translates the X windowing function calls into Windows
> > windowing function calls.
> >
> > Anyway, it works for me.
>
> But AFAIRC, it doesn't do "unix-like" cut and paste (e.g.
> mouse-highlight and middle-button-click), which is what Dan wants.
> <plug> Try the rxvt port at CygUtils
> ( http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/ </plug>.  It
> needs an Xserver though -- you can configure the cygwin-xfree server NOT
> to call a window manager I think, or you can use the demo version of
> starnet's X-Win32 server ( http://www.starnet.com )  It'll run for an
> unlimited number of two-hour sessions which isn't too much of a
> restriction.
>
> --Chuck

Actually you can do at least some unix-like cut and paste
if you have the right kind of mouse.  I discover that I can
click the mouse-wheel and it behaves like a middle-button-click.
And if you are pasting into a Windows application, you can
mouse-highlight in the rxvt window and then use the normal
Windows paste operation in the other window.

--Mark

* Re: xterm-like terminal emulator
@ 2001-01-11 15:26     ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson
  Cc: Patrick Doyle, Dan Lipofsky, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

"Charles S. Wilson" wrote:

> But AFAIRC, it doesn't do "unix-like" cut and paste (e.g.
> mouse-highlight and middle-button-click), which is what Dan wants.

You can select and paste one line.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: xterm-like terminal emulator
@ 2001-01-12  6:36     ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2001-01-12  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

"Charles S. Wilson" wrote:

> Patrick Doyle wrote:
> >
> > Try
> > http://www.io.com/~bub/rxvt.html
> >
> But AFAIRC, it doesn't do "unix-like" cut and paste (e.g.
> mouse-highlight and middle-button-click), which is what Dan wants.
Hmmm, I have used the left mouse button to highlight a region of text,
and shift-left-mouse-button to paste it.  I guess I had forgotten enough
X lore to realize that that wasn't good enough.

--wpd

* RE: xterm-like terminal emulator
@ 2001-01-12 10:41 Dan Lipofsky
From: Dan Lipofsky @ 2001-01-12 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

> You assume too much.  Unless you changed /bin/sh on your system to be a
> copy/link of bash, /bin/sh != /bin/bash.  You're getting /bin/sh with your
> attempt.  /bin/sh is ash by default which has none of the features you're
> trying to use.

That was the problem.  However, copying bash to sh does not fix
the problem completely.  When you run bash as "sh" it behaves
like sh - it doesn't read .bash_profile or .bashrc.

I have my shell set up as /bin/bash in /etc/passwd,
but I guess that rxvt does not honor this.

So I finally figured out why this works:
	bash --noprofile --norc -c "rxvt -ls -fn Courier-13"
Bash is running rxvt which then runs bash instead of sh.
It does this because bash sets the SHELL variable, which
rxvt looks at to decide the shell to run.  So I set it manually
instead and my problems are solved.  Here is my new BAT script:
	@echo off
	C:
	chdir \cygwin\bin
	set SHELL=/bin/bash
	rxvt -fn Courier-13 -sr -ls -title bash
Perhaps we should add this to the FAQ somewhere.
I am using rxvt from http://www.io.com/~bub/rxvt.html

Thank you to everyone for your help.

@ 2001-01-12  9:21 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-12  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Lipofsky, cygwin

@ 2001-01-12  9:07 Dan Lipofsky
From: Dan Lipofsky @ 2001-01-12  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2001-01-12  6:12 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2001-01-12  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Lipofsky; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Dan,

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 05:36:30PM -0600, Dan Lipofsky wrote:
> But the cutting seems to be pretty buggy.
> I can cut once and paste to any application.
> But subsequent cuts do not seem to make it
> to the windows clipboard ... I can paste it into
> other rxvt windows, but when I try to paste it
> into a windows app I get the old cut.  When I
> cut from a windows app that seems to reset the
> clipboard so I can do another rxvt cut.
>
> Can other rxvt users confirm this behavior?

I also observe the above behavior but only occasionly, usually the
cutting and pasting from rxvt to a native app works fine.  When the
problem occurs, I just past into another rxvt window and then cut and
paste from there.  This seems to be a known problem that is discussed in
one of Bub's readme files.

> Also, the only way I can seem to run rxvt and get the results I want is
> to have a batch file like
> 	C:
> 	chdir \cygwin\bin
> 	bash --noprofile --norc -c "rxvt ..."
> But this involves making two bash instances per shot.
> It doesn't seem to work right if I don't call it through bash.
> Anyone got a better way?

I use constructs like the following in my shortcuts to start up rxvt windows:

    C:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin\run.exe rxvt -sl 512 -sr -fn courier -title kosh -e bash --login

You can get run from CygUtils:

    http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/unversioned/run/index.html

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

* Re: xterm-like terminal emulator
@ 2001-01-11 16:39 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-11 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Lipofsky; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Dan Lipofsky wrote:

> Also, the only way I can seem to run rxvt and get the results I want is
> to have a batch file like
>         C:
>         chdir \cygwin\bin
>         bash --noprofile --norc -c "rxvt ..."
> But this involves making two bash instances per shot.
> It doesn't seem to work right if I don't call it through bash.
> Anyone got a better way?

c:
chdir \cygwin\bin
rxvt -e bash --login -i

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: xterm-like terminal emulator
       [not found] <81CC73FC2FACD311A2D200508B8B88AA1ADB0B@kurion_exch.kurion.com>
@ 2001-01-11 15:57 ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-01-11 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dan Lipofsky wrote:

> But the cutting seems to be pretty buggy.
> I can cut once and paste to any application.
> But subsequent cuts do not seem to make it
> to the windows clipboard ... I can paste it into
> other rxvt windows, but when I try to paste it
> into a windows app I get the old cut.  When I
> cut from a windows app that seems to reset the
> clipboard so I can do another rxvt cut.
>
> Can other rxvt users confirm this behavior?
> If not, what version are you using?  I am using 2.7.2.

I assume you're talking about the cygutils ('normal cygwin' + X) build
of rxvt.  If that's the case, I *think* I've seen similar behavior --
but since I normally cut-n-paste only between rxvt windows and only
rarely between native and rxvt, it hasn't bugged me enough to track it
down.

> Also, the only way I can seem to run rxvt and get the results I want is
> to have a batch file like
>         C:
>         chdir \cygwin\bin
>         bash --noprofile --norc -c "rxvt ..."
> But this involves making two bash instances per shot.
> It doesn't seem to work right if I don't call it through bash.
> Anyone got a better way?

I've never investigated it even that thoroughly.  I almost sure that
you've discovered a clue, but for the life of me I don't know what it
means.... :-(

--Chuck

* RE: xterm-like terminal emulator
@ 2001-01-11 15:37 Dan Lipofsky
From: Dan Lipofsky @ 2001-01-11 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Dan Lipofsky

> > Try
> > http://www.io.com/~bub/rxvt.html
> > Anyway, it works for me.
>
> But AFAIRC, it doesn't do "unix-like" cut and paste (e.g.
> mouse-highlight and middle-button-click), which is what Dan wants.

It does seem to do that.  It also cuts by lines
which is what I really want (as opposed to the
DOS window which cuts by rectangles and inserts
newlines in the middle of wrapped lines).  The
cut=mouse-highlight and paste=middle-button-click
is less important to me.  I could live with DOS style
for that.