* openssh ssh using bash loses control of terminal
@ 2001-01-22 21:16 Seth Delackner
From: Seth Delackner @ 2001-01-22 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Whenever I ssh into a remote linux box and run 'mutt' or 'vi' and press ':' to enter a special command, my terminal goes ballistic sending the characters '6' and 'c' endlessly.

I am running Bash 2.04.5(12) and OpenSSH version 2.3.0p1.  I have TERM=linux, CYGIN='ntsec tty'.  I've just gotten through a few hours of searching the mailing list archive getting sshd to run as a service, so I really don't want to delve back in to debug this.  Any help would be appreciated.

* Re: openssh ssh using bash loses control of terminal
@ 2001-01-23  4:21 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-01-23  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth Delackner; +Cc: cygwin

This is because you are running in a DOS box locally, and the remote app
is using (a remote version of) ncurses.  The DOS box ain't linux.  What
you want to do is set TERM=cygwin, but then you need to instruct the
remote machine in what "cygwin" means
.  Download the following file:

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygwin.terminfo

which is an excerpt from the ncurses-5.2-4-src.tar.gz terminfo.src.  Put
cygwin.terminfo on the remote machine, and run 'tic cygwin.terminfo' on
that machine.  This should create a partial terminfo database in
~/.terminfo/* on the remote machine, "teaching" it about TERM=cygwin.

--Chuck

@ 2001-01-23  6:13   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-23  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Seth Delackner, cygwin

Charles Wilson wrote:

> This is because you are running in a DOS box locally, and the remote app
> is using (a remote version of) ncurses.  The DOS box ain't linux.  What
> you want to do is set TERM=cygwin, but then you need to instruct the
> remote machine in what "cygwin" means
> .  Download the following file:
>
> http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygwin.terminfo
>
> which is an excerpt from the ncurses-5.2-4-src.tar.gz terminfo.src.  Put
> cygwin.terminfo on the remote machine, and run 'tic cygwin.terminfo' on
> that machine.  This should create a partial terminfo database in
> ~/.terminfo/* on the remote machine, "teaching" it about TERM=cygwin.

Be sure to `export TERMINFO='~/.terminfo'' in order for tic to put this
in your home directory.  Chuck, you needed to include all dependency
definitions.  Dependencies can be found from a search of `use='.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: openssh ssh using bash loses control of terminal
@ 2001-01-23  8:17     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-01-23  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Seth Delackner

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Charles Wilson wrote:
> >
> > This is because you are running in a DOS box locally, and the remote app
> > is using (a remote version of) ncurses.  The DOS box ain't linux.  What
> > you want to do is set TERM=cygwin, but then you need to instruct the
> > remote machine in what "cygwin" means
> > .  Download the following file:
> >
> > http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygwin.terminfo
> >
> > which is an excerpt from the ncurses-5.2-4-src.tar.gz terminfo.src.  Put
> > cygwin.terminfo on the remote machine, and run 'tic cygwin.terminfo' on
> > that machine.  This should create a partial terminfo database in
> > ~/.terminfo/* on the remote machine, "teaching" it about TERM=cygwin.
> >

> Be sure to `export TERMINFO='~/.terminfo'' in order for tic to put this
> in your home directory.  Chuck, you needed to include all dependency
> definitions.  Dependencies can be found from a search of `use='.

Hmmm...I thought that if tic could not write to the system default
terminfo database, then it used ~/.terminfo as a fallback automatically.
Ditto for programs that use ncurses: I thought they looked in the system
location AND in ~/.terminfo without the need for a special TERMINFO
variable setting.  Am I wrong?

w.r.t. dependency definitions, I thought I had included all the necessary
ones.  I'll check again.

--Chuck

* Re: openssh ssh using bash loses control of terminal
@ 2001-01-23  9:18       ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-23  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Earnie Boyd, Seth Delackner

Charles Wilson wrote:

> > Be sure to `export TERMINFO='~/.terminfo'' in order for tic to put this
> > in your home directory.  Chuck, you needed to include all dependency
> > definitions.  Dependencies can be found from a search of `use='.
>
> Hmmm...I thought that if tic could not write to the system default
> terminfo database, then it used ~/.terminfo as a fallback automatically.
> Ditto for programs that use ncurses: I thought they looked in the system
> location AND in ~/.terminfo without the need for a special TERMINFO
> variable setting.  Am I wrong?

It's most likely implementation specific.  I tried your example on HP-UX
and it tried to write to /usr/share/lib/terminfo and of course I don't
have write access to that directory.  I specified the TERMINFO variable
to ~/.terminfo and it wrote out the data.

> w.r.t. dependency definitions, I thought I had included all the necessary
> ones.  I'll check again.

I have better luck, leaving the TERM setting on Cygwin side as cygwin
and changing the TERM setting on the remove side to one that is commonly
available for that system. E.G.: export TERM=xterms.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: openssh ssh using bash loses control of terminal
@ 2001-01-23 11:22         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-01-23 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Seth Delackner

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> It's most likely implementation specific.  I tried your example on HP-UX
> and it tried to write to /usr/share/lib/terminfo and of course I don't
> have write access to that directory.  I specified the TERMINFO variable
> to ~/.terminfo and it wrote out the data.

Ok. I can accept that.

> > w.r.t. dependency definitions, I thought I had included all the necessary
> > ones.  I'll check again.
> >

> I have better luck, leaving the TERM setting on Cygwin side as cygwin
> and changing the TERM setting on the remove side to one that is commonly
> available for that system. E.G.: export TERM=xterms.

Well, the original problem was just that: the poster was using a "commonly
available" term setting: TERM=linux.  And that caused problems on the
cygwin side.

I've noticed this myself: I used to always set TERM=linux. However, when I
then ran an ncurses-based program, after exiting that program the console
was filled with 6[6[ or 2c;2c; etc.  The bottom line: TERM=linux and a DOS
box on cygwin do not play well together.

Solution: use the least common denominator, like TERM=xterm, or teach both
the local system and the remote system to understand the terminal
you are actually using (in this case, DOSbox == 'CYGWIN').

I get around it by using TERM=rxvt-cygwin, in an rxvt window.  On the
remote side, my login script strips anything after '-' so it resets
TERM=rxvt whin I login to the remote system.

@ 2001-02-04 13:13     ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-02-04 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Seth Delackner

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Charles Wilson wrote:
> >
> > This is because you are running in a DOS box locally, and the remote app
> > is using (a remote version of) ncurses.  The DOS box ain't linux.  What
> > you want to do is set TERM=cygwin, but then you need to instruct the
> > remote machine in what "cygwin" means
> > .  Download the following file:
> >
> > http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygwin.terminfo

File name is now cygwin.terminfo-5.2-4.  Also in the same directory,
terminfo.src-5.2-4 -- the entire terminfo src database.

> > which is an excerpt from the ncurses-5.2-4-src.tar.gz terminfo.src.  Put
> > cygwin.terminfo on the remote machine, and run 'tic cygwin.terminfo' on
> > that machine.  This should create a partial terminfo database in
> > ~/.terminfo/* on the remote machine, "teaching" it about TERM=cygwin.
> >

> Be sure to `export TERMINFO='~/.terminfo'' in order for tic to put this
> in your home directory.  Chuck, you needed to include all dependency
> definitions.  Dependencies can be found from a search of `use='.

Earnie --
  I've done so.  See the upcoming "official" announcement for
ncurses-5.2-4.

--Chuck