* firewall ports
@ 2001-02-07 11:08 Anon1 Anon2
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Anon1 Anon2 @ 2001-02-07 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Are there any plans to port any unix firewall software, like an ipchains or
ipfwadm, to cygwin? It would be nice to have a free, low maintenance port
filter (I hate zonealarm)

Joe

* Re: firewall ports
@ 2001-02-07 11:59 ` Andrew Markebo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-02-07 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anon1 Anon2; +Cc: cygwin

/ "Anon1 Anon2" <anonuc777@hotmail.com> wrote:
| Are there any plans to port any unix firewall software, like an
| ipchains or ipfwadm, to cygwin? It would be nice to have a free, low
| maintenance port filter (I hate zonealarm)

ipchains and ipfwadm relies on functionality in the linux kernel, so I
don't think it is that easy to do..

If you don't like zonealarm, well get linux going on your machine or
find another firewall/gateway software for Windows. There are a
couple, fortunetaly I haven't needed to worry, running linux :-9

        /Andy

* Re: firewall ports
@ 2001-02-07 12:18 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-07 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anon1 Anon2; +Cc: cygwin

Anon1 Anon2 wrote:

> Are there any plans to port any unix firewall software, like an ipchains or
> ipfwadm, to cygwin? It would be nice to have a free, low maintenance port
> filter (I hate zonealarm)
>
> Joe

I believe a fella named Joe plans to do that.  I don't know when he'll
have it done though.  It does sound like something that may be
worthwhile.

Earnie.

* Re: firewall ports
@ 2001-02-07 12:39 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-02-07 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anon1 Anon2, cygwin

At 02:07 PM 2/7/2001, Anon1 Anon2 wrote:
>Are there any plans to port any unix firewall software, like an ipchains or ipfwadm, to cygwin? It would be nice to have a free, low maintenance port filter (I hate zonealarm)

I've not heard anyone on this list voice any activity in this area.

* Re: firewall ports
@ 2001-02-07 12:47   ` Michael Kelley
From: Michael Kelley @ 2001-02-07 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: cygwin

Another "free" alternative is Sygate's product
http://sygate.com/
It's not as easy as zonealarm and takes an understanding of your ports to
configure.
But anyone who can handle cygwin can handle sygate's product. I have
noticed a slowing of the system if needed ports aren't open for browser
ads and such but over all I have no real complaints (yet)

Andrew Markebo wrote:

> / "Anon1 Anon2" <anonuc777@hotmail.com> wrote:
> | Are there any plans to port any unix firewall software, like an
> | ipchains or ipfwadm, to cygwin? It would be nice to have a free, low
> | maintenance port filter (I hate zonealarm)
>
> ipchains and ipfwadm relies on functionality in the linux kernel, so I
> don't think it is that easy to do..
>
> If you don't like zonealarm, well get linux going on your machine or
> find another firewall/gateway software for Windows. There are a
> couple, fortunetaly I haven't needed to worry, running linux :-9
>
>         /Andy
>
> --

Michael Kelley
mkelley@nmsu.edu
Programmer/Systems Analyst I
New Mexico State University

* Re: firewall ports
@ 2001-02-07 17:51   ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 2001-02-07 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

On 7 Feb 2001, at 14:23, the Illustrious Earnie Boyd wrote:

> New eSafe users:
> Download your free copy of eSafe Desktop 2.2 and get protected
> today.
> http://www.esafe.com/forms/download/form.asp?product=espd&org_typ
> e=i
>
> * Note: Make sure to update eSafe after you install.

> > Are there any plans to port any unix firewall software, like an ipchains or
> > ipfwadm, to cygwin? It would be nice to have a free, low maintenance port
> > filter (I hate zonealarm)

	No one said you had to use it.  You can get another firewall
which is free for personal use:

> New eSafe users:
> Download your free copy of eSafe Desktop 2.2 and get protected
today.

http://www.esafe.com/forms/download/form.asp?product=espd&org_type=i

>* Note: Make sure to update eSafe after you install.

	Bear in mind, however, that it is far more complex and has a
far higher learning curve on it than does ZoneAlarm.  If you've
got any network adminstration experience, eSafe is fairly
straightforward.

	Both work well together.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

* Re: firewall ports
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-02-07 18:01 ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 2001-02-07 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

On 7 Feb 2001, at 19:07, the Illustrious Anon1 Anon2 wrote:

> Are there any plans to port any unix firewall software, like an ipchains or
> ipfwadm, to cygwin?

	Why?  If you're using Windows, you should probably use a
windows based firewall, even though you do have cygwin
installed.  In fact, it doesn't seem to matter much whether
cygwin is installed or not.
	In most cases, especially when dealing with firewalls, it is a
better choice to use the one designed for the OS, otherwise you
could run into some major conflicts between cygwin and the
platform that you are using.  I won't even get into the security
conflict considerations.

> It would be nice to have a free, low maintenance port
> filter (I hate zonealarm)

	Check out eSafe, if it's really important to you.  Just
remember, the firewall maintenance aspect can get much higher
quite quickly depending on what you decide to do with your
installation.

	Peace,

		Paul G.