* consize + bash scrolling problem
@ 2001-02-12  6:31 Chris and Kim Crawford
From: Chris and Kim Crawford @ 2001-02-12  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

i also had the problem of bash not scrolling at the bottom of the
screen, and didn't see any solutions posted, so here is something quite
mangled, but seems to work.

i think the problem is that bash was not written to automatically scroll
down to the bottom of the buffer, so my solution was to write a similar
program to yours that moves the cursor to the bottom of the buffer, and
then resume bash.

see the details at http://ldt.mit.edu/consize.html
i hope it works for others

btw, chuck, thanks for your contribution; it sure is useful; i don't
know how many times i have done as cvs command and permanently lost its
output off the top of the console.

i really think that cygwin should have a link to your program!

chris crawford

* Re: consize + bash scrolling problem
@ 2001-02-12  7:18 ` Soren Andersen
From: Soren Andersen @ 2001-02-12  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12 Feb 2001, an entity purporting to be Chris and Kim Crawford
[Chris and Kim Crawford <chris2@mail.lns.mit.edu>] wrote [regarding consize + bash scrolling problem]

> i also had the problem of bash not scrolling at the bottom of the
> screen, and didn't see any solutions posted, so here is something quite
> mangled, but seems to work.
>
> i think the problem is that bash was not written to automatically scroll
> down to the bottom of the buffer, so my solution was to write a similar
> program to yours that moves the cursor to the bottom of the buffer, and then
> resume bash.

This sure is welcome news. `consize.exe' is very important to my work but
under win9x (NOT under NT!) I also am plagued by this one flaw. bash's
output just 'overwrites' itself at the bottom of the screen rather than
moving the scrollbuffer down.

I'll try Chris's solution for sure.

   soren andersen