* Re: dos/unix utilities
       [not found] <F38Vc4Iu1B6gVs1tIzm00010695@hotmail.com>
@ 2001-02-11 13:55 ` Matthew Smith
From: Matthew Smith @ 2001-02-11 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

> I have found the utilities extremely useful, in order to emulate
processes,
> that we run in a Unix environment, under Windows NT. I am running them in
> win98 environment and then, when the process is working, transferring them
> to NT. I cannot see why there would be any problems. However, I am having
> problem with "wc" recognising that certain directories/files exist when
> using wildcards for non 8.3 form file names..
>
> For example:
> wc -l \postbox\ctm\ctm*.*      fails (with a ENOENT error msg)
> wc -l \postbox\ctm\ctm040701   works fine however

Output of cygcheck -srv would be appreciated.  Also, you neglect to say what
environment this is failing under.  Are you trying this command from bash?
cmd.exe?  You need to give us more info.

cheers,
-Matt

* Re: dos/unix utilities
@ 2001-02-11 14:05   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-11 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 03:55:31PM -0600, Matthew Smith wrote:
>> I have found the utilities extremely useful, in order to emulate
>processes,
>> that we run in a Unix environment, under Windows NT. I am running them in
>> win98 environment and then, when the process is working, transferring them
>> to NT. I cannot see why there would be any problems. However, I am having
>> problem with "wc" recognising that certain directories/files exist when
>> using wildcards for non 8.3 form file names..
>>
>> For example:
>> wc -l \postbox\ctm\ctm*.*      fails (with a ENOENT error msg)
>> wc -l \postbox\ctm\ctm040701   works fine however
>
>Output of cygcheck -srv would be appreciated.  Also, you neglect to say what
>environment this is failing under.  Are you trying this command from bash?
>cmd.exe?  You need to give us more info.

You can't use wildcards with Windows filespecs.  Cygwin is a UNIX emulation,
remember?

Try "wc -l /postbox/ctm/ctm*.*".

cgf

* Re: dos/unix utilities
@ 2001-02-12  5:30     ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-12  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Matthew Smith

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 03:55:31PM -0600, Matthew Smith wrote:
> >> I have found the utilities extremely useful, in order to emulate
> >processes,
> >> that we run in a Unix environment, under Windows NT. I am running them in
> >> win98 environment and then, when the process is working, transferring them
> >> to NT. I cannot see why there would be any problems. However, I am having
> >> problem with "wc" recognising that certain directories/files exist when
> >> using wildcards for non 8.3 form file names..
> >>
> >> For example:
> >> wc -l \postbox\ctm\ctm*.*      fails (with a ENOENT error msg)
> >> wc -l \postbox\ctm\ctm040701   works fine however
> >
> >Output of cygcheck -srv would be appreciated.  Also, you neglect to say what
> >environment this is failing under.  Are you trying this command from bash?
> >cmd.exe?  You need to give us more info.
>
> You can't use wildcards with Windows filespecs.

Huh?  I can use wc -l /tmp/st*.* just fine in a COMMAND window.
However, I can't use wc -l \tmp\st*.*.  Oh, I get it now, that's what
you were saying.

> Cygwin is a UNIX emulation, remember?
>
> Try "wc -l /postbox/ctm/ctm*.*".

True, the '\' is what Chris is in reference to.  You must use '/'.

Earnie.

P.S.: Sorry, Chris.  I was confused at first by your answer.  So, I
decided to post anyway.

* Re: dos/unix utilities
@ 2001-02-12 11:10       ` Bob McGowan
From: Bob McGowan @ 2001-02-12 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Matthew Smith

From a command prompt, using a full path wihtout wildcards, the command works with either type of slash.  Put in a wildcard, and it fails.  I assume the presence of the
wildcard activates globbing routines but a backslash alone does not?  Is this what you mean?

I think there is also a problem with the /tmp/ctm*.* form.  It cannot match the file /tmp/ctm040701 because this file name does not contain the literal dot that is present
in the wildcard form.

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:

> > >processes,

> > >Output of cygcheck -srv would be appreciated.  Also, you neglect to say what
> > >environment this is failing under.  Are you trying this command from bash?
> > >cmd.exe?  You need to give us more info.
> >
> > You can't use wildcards with Windows filespecs.
>
> Huh?  I can use wc -l /tmp/st*.* just fine in a COMMAND window.
> However, I can't use wc -l \tmp\st*.*.  Oh, I get it now, that's what
> you were saying.
>
> > Cygwin is a UNIX emulation, remember?
> >
> > Try "wc -l /postbox/ctm/ctm*.*".
> >

> True, the '\' is what Chris is in reference to.  You must use '/'.
>
> Earnie.
>
> P.S.: Sorry, Chris.  I was confused at first by your answer.  So, I
> decided to post anyway.

Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer
VERITAS Software