* openssh and identity
@ 2001-02-12  8:44 Wilson Farrell
From: Wilson Farrell @ 2001-02-12  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,
I'm having trouble getting my ssh client (openssh 2.3p1) to authenticate
using rsa.

if I simply:
ssh host.company.com
I get the password prompt back.

if I:
ssh -i $HOME/.ssh/identity host.company.com
it logs me in via rsa authentication as expected.

From the man page:
     -i identity_file
             Selects the file from which the identity (private key) for
RSA
             authentication is read.  Default is $HOME/.ssh/identity in
the
             user's home directory.  Identity files may also be
specified on a
             per-host basis in the configuration file.  It is possible
to have
             multiple -i options (and multiple identities specified in
config-
             uration files).

I have also cput the line:
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity in my .ssh/config file.  Didn't help.

I guess I can live with the problem, but it bothers me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
 wilson

* Re: openssh and identity
@ 2001-02-12 11:14 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-02-12 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:42:01AM -0500, Wilson Farrell wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm having trouble getting my ssh client (openssh 2.3p1) to authenticate
> using rsa.
>
> if I simply:
> ssh host.company.com
> I get the password prompt back.
>
> if I:
> ssh -i $HOME/.ssh/identity host.company.com
> it logs me in via rsa authentication as expected.
>
> >From the man page:
>      -i identity_file
>              Selects the file from which the identity (private key) for
> RSA
>              authentication is read.  Default is $HOME/.ssh/identity in
> the
>              user's home directory.  Identity files may also be
> specified on a
>              per-host basis in the configuration file.  It is possible
> to have
>              multiple -i options (and multiple identities specified in
> config-
>              uration files).
>
> I have also cput the line:
> IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity in my .ssh/config file.  Didn't help.
>
> I guess I can live with the problem, but it bothers me.
>
> Any ideas?

Is your home directory correctly set in /etc/passwd?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: openssh and identity
@ 2001-02-12 12:54 ` Wilson Farrell
From: Wilson Farrell @ 2001-02-12 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>Is your home directory correctly set in /etc/passwd?
>
>Corinna

It was not correct, now it is... still doesn't work :(

wilson

* Re: openssh and identity
@ 2001-02-13  1:20   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-02-13  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:52:31PM -0500, Wilson Farrell wrote:

> >Is your home directory correctly set in /etc/passwd?
> >
> >Corinna
>
> It was not correct, now it is... still doesn't work :(

Then you should try `ssh -v host' to get debug output.
There is probably a hint what's going on.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: openssh and identity
@ 2001-02-13  7:20     ` Wilson Farrell
From: Wilson Farrell @ 2001-02-13  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Then you should try `ssh -v host' to get debug output.
> There is probably a hint what's going on.

Corinna,
Thanks for your help.  I was able to solve the problem by removing
IdentityFile entry (which was correct, by the way) from my .ssh/config
file.  I had added the entry in an attempt to correct the problem.  Of
course I had tried a couple of things after that, any of which could
have solved the problem.  Somehow that entry was mucking things up.

fixed now..

Thanks,
wilson