* Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info
       [not found] <852569F2.0073F77C.00@nyc-ntgw-n01.ny.jpmorgan.com>
@ 2001-02-13 16:05 ` Markus Mauhart
From: Markus Mauhart @ 2001-02-13 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Hi Noel !

> Warning, rantings of a tired, bored individual below:

it doesnt sound so, I appreciate that you took the time.

Important: i didnt wanted to praise windows over unix, instead my point
was that [cygwin + working windows environment] is an excellent base
for an experinced windows programmer/user to get started with the
unix stuff, while for the same person (me) any normal unix/linux
workstation is a bad starting environment, cause as a beginner neither
I know what programs to use nor how to configure them so that I can work
with them .. the default configurations work only for someone who is
experienced with their usage.
(while Christopher Faylor wrote that a linux box is the ideal thing to
getstarted with unix)

> Markus.Mauhart@chello.at on 2001.02.13 15:04:48
> >1st I have no working shell (only 25 lines, no cut&past, no easy to
> >use line buffer like with NT cmd.exe, the keyboard behaves very unexpected
> >(home, end, esc, ctrl-left/right, F7..))
>
> CygWin provides this.

I know, and i'm very positive about the current state of a fresh cygwin
installation. Two years ago for me it was practically unusable, allthough
i invested much time trying to configure it.
My statement instead represents my experience with the linux/qnx wokstations
I had to use/wanted to use during the last years.

> (although I'd appreciate if someone showed me how to configure these keys).

in cygwins bash i miss windows-like ESC (clear line), ctrl-left/right
(prev/next word) .. i'd appreciate the help too.

> >2nd I have no working text editor & text browser like borlands or MS's
> >programming IDE
>
> I use vim and/or emacs as my editors.  vim is great 'cos it's extremely
> light-weight -- you'll have to get used to the commands, though.  Emacs provides
> as much functionality as you may ever want out of it since it's fully
> configurable through elisp.

Probably there will come the time when I will switch to some unix editor, but
only when I am experienced enough to choose and configure it in a way i like
or to use the default configuration .. meanwhile, while trying to learn and
use some other parts of the unix environment it would be a wast of time to
fight against an editor with absolutely surprising behaviour (for me),
i would have troubles to write even this email.

> >3rd there simply exist no other file manager comparable with the one an only
> >NT winfile.exe (dont mix it with the w95/98 version which is crippleware)
> >which is lightning fast, fully keyboard controllable and allows to easily
> >browse 2 or 3 directories simultaneously or to switch between many other
> >directories (given that one knows how to use MDI applications) and is
> >tightly integrated with the shell (alt-f r cmd enter .. less than 1 s).
>
> There are file managers out there but I think most Unix people tend to like the
> command line better (I'm one of them).  I'll use Windows Explorer now and then
> for simple stuff.

On NT or 2000 (not w95/08) you should switch to winfile.exe, i use it together
with very much cmd.exe, and til now i havent seen any unix user beeing so fast
and efficient with his shell than me with winfile+cmd .. maybe someday i'll have
to write my own winfile.exe clone for linux.

> >4th I have no fast and lean www browser which I need for the documentation
> >from the web (cygwin & all gnu tools, ..) (IE55 easily can be configured to
> >the absolutely minimum GUI, you need not be an expert for that, simply
> >open its options dialog and do it)
>
> Although I haven't used it on CygWin, I've used Lynx and it's so light-weight,
> it uses a text-based GUI.  I've also used Netscape on Sun.  On a PC, I use
> Netscape or IE, depending.

long time used netscape 3, never IE4 or netscape4+, but IE5x is usable.
Using IE5 i can use windows standard key commands for many of my tasks
which probably are not available on any browser on a linux box.

> >5th I have no consistent and rich keyboard interface for all applications
> >like with windows, where typically all commands are available through
> >menues and the menue entries have their shortcuts which are displayed in
> >the menue. E.g to minimize a console window or any other window the sequence
> >'alt-space n' works today, it worked with win31, and it will work in
> >5 years on windows 7.0.
>
> Like I said before, Unix people tend to like command lines.  One reason is that
> command lines are much more flexible than menu items.  For example, it took
> Windows years to provide "find . -name "*" -print | xargs grep "some-text"
> through their GUI.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's still impossible
> to do something like:
> find . -type f -print | while read f
> do
>     mv $f $f~
>     sed 's/before/after/g' $f~ >$f
>     rm $f~
> done
>
> to do a global search and replace on a bunch of files.  What about more
> complicated command lines?

agreed, there are many things optimally to be done on the commandline
with the standard unix tools as you've pointed out.
But for an experienced windows user/programmer who has to learn and
use gcc & make, it is simply not necessary (and there is no time) to
learn the whole unix stuff at once.

> >6th hence for each real task I have to transfer the files and me to/from
> >my (NT) workstation.
>
> >Now there are uncountable advantages of a unix workstation and its toolset too
> >as you know. But for someone coming from the windows environment the 1st step
> >learn about and use some of them IMO now is cygwin, thanks to your and your
> >friends efforts during the last years.
> >
> >Back to what caused me to write this email: I am surprised that you havnt
> >realized (or dont mind) the fact that cygwin has a great potential to be
> >the trojan horse of unix & gnu inside the windows world.
>
> This is a good point, but read on.
>
> >When cygwin additionally would come with easy to use and powerfull standard
> >applications (mail reader, personal mail server & firewall, editor,
> filemanager;
> >easy means controllable through consistent menu's shortcuts, help menue -> open
> doc
> >in browser, ..), it would be only a small step to use the same applications
> >under unix/linux and to forget the windows workstation.
>
> Again, Unix people tend to like command lines (some Unix people don't even have
> a window manager so they're forced to use command lines and text-based GUI's).
> Windows people tend to assume that a window manager is just part of an operating
> system.
>
> So, if you really want to learn the Unix way of doing things, get used to typing
> and using man (man man for more info :).

on my 1st cygwin installation both man and info worked only after days of
additional web-research, installation and configuration.
With the current cygwin info doesnt work out of the box.
And why should i bother to get aquainted with man and info, when now the
whole information is available on sources.redhat.com and gnu.org for use
with the web browser, which in most situations is the more effective UI,
and especially is shurely up to date ?

> The Trojan Horse you mention above is
> extremely ineffective since if CygWin added these neat and bloaty gadgets, it
> would no longer be Unix on Windows and hence would defeat its own purpose.

Misunderstanding: IMO yet the cygwin actually works as trojan horse without the
nifty things I mentioned in the last sentence. I thought about them only
after writing the posting and added it as 'wish list', but i didnt wanted to
force someone to do it for me.

Mfg , Markus.

----------------------
Markus Mauhart
Schottenfeldg. 87-1-21
A-1070 Wien
Austria
email: Markus.Mauhart@chello.at
phone/fax: ++43-1-9.564.126

* Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info
@ 2001-02-14 19:25               ` Michael Kelley
From: Michael Kelley @ 2001-02-14 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mauhart; +Cc: Charles S. Wilson, cygwin

You know guys I started this thread and even though more than one person
was agressive with the ** OFF TOPIC ** I got what I needed. A starting
place to read and look. I started with cygwin's site and I was not
finding the answers I needed. But  I got around 15 links (Including the
one below) I read what I could understand and then I asked for help.
Well I back to reading and playing .... You all place nice too .... K?

THANK YOU
to those who helped

Mike

@ 2001-02-13 18:59             ` Markus Mauhart
From: Markus Mauhart @ 2001-02-13 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-02-13 18:33           ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-02-13 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mauhart; +Cc: cygwin

Markus -

Yes, cygwin is probably the fastest way for a windowsite to dip a toe in
the unix/gnu/linux world and stay productive in the meantime.  Yes,
cygwin may act as a sort of trojan horse, sneaking "the unix way" into
"windows-only" shops.

But that's off-topic for this list.

Cygwin provides a *platform* for doing unixy stuff on windows -- if
newbies have questions about the *peculiarities* of that platform, then
this is the place to ask.  E.g. *CYGWIN*-specific questions.  General
unix/gnu/linux questions or tutorial requests on unix/gnu/linux are
*not* appropriate here, and Chris is absolutely corrent in referring
people to more appropriate sources of information.

However, if you would like to provide a "Newbie's Guide to Learning Unix
without leaving the comfort [sic] of Windows, Using Cygwin" feel free.
I'm sure Chris would LOVE to add a link to that page on the main cygwin
site (BTW, see Earnie's page on a similar subject:
http://gw32.freeyellow.com/index-cygwin.html )

--Chuck

* Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info
@ 2001-02-13 16:29             ` Markus Mauhart
From: Markus Mauhart @ 2001-02-13 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>I've tried to show you where you could get help which is already available
>on the internet.  You can use it or not.
>
>Frankly, it seems to me that if you spent as much time trying to learn how
>to use what you've got as you've put into trying to justify why we should
>all support complete novices, you would no longer be a complete novice and
>the question would be moot.
>
>I don't plan on contributing to this thread any further.  I think I have
>made my point as clear as I can make it.

Maybe I was unclear, but we were speaking of different things.
Till now I never asked somebody her in the list for some help
and my argumentation in no way was that this list or the cygwin
developer team should spend more time helping newbies.

Instead I wanted to point out the the current cygwin ("as is") together
with the documentation on the web (gnu.org, redhat) is a great help and
excellent starting point (IMHO the best) for experienced windows
programmers/users when starting to learn and use certain parts of the
unix stuff, especially when compared with a plain linux/unix box and
its contained tools and documentation; hence you shouldnt be surprised
to meet such people in this mailing list.

And actually I am one the minority who reads and considers very much
documentation before stealing other people's time.

Mfg , Markus Mauhart.

----------------------

@ 2001-02-13 13:58 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2001-02-13 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus.Mauhart; +Cc: Cygwin

Warning, rantings of a tired, bored individual below:

Markus.Mauhart@chello.at on 2001.02.13 15:04:48
>1st I have no working shell (only 25 lines, no cut&past, no easy to
>use line buffer like with NT cmd.exe, the keyboard behaves very unexpected
>(home, end, esc, ctrl-left/right, F7..))

CygWin provides this.  I use rxvt for an xterm and run bash as my shell.  I
haven't configured the home, end, ... keys to Windows-like behaviour mostly 'cos
I know equivalent Ctrl keys that have the same functionality (although I'd
> [...]

This is a good point, but read on.

>When cygwin additionally would come with easy to use and powerfull standard
>applications (mail reader, personal mail server & firewall, editor,
filemanager;
>easy means controllable through consistent menu's shortcuts, help menue -> open
doc
>in browser, ..), it would be only a small step to use the same applications
>under unix/linux and to forget the windows workstation.

Again, Unix people tend to like command lines (some Unix people don't even have
a window manager so they're forced to use command lines and text-based GUI's).
Windows people tend to assume that a window manager is just part of an operating
system.

So, if you really want to learn the Unix way of doing things, get used to typing
and using man (man man for more info :).  The Trojan Horse you mention above is
extremely ineffective since if CygWin added these neat and bloaty gadgets, it
would no longer be Unix on Windows and hence would defeat its own purpose.

Noel

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. Incorporated, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.

* Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info
@ 2001-02-13 12:49           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-13 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 09:04:48PM +0100, Markus Mauhart wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>Michael Kelley wrote:
>> >
>> >I have a basic understanding of C and come from the Mainframe & Windows
>> >environments. I'm not ready to jump straight into Linux/Unix so I see a
>> >great chance to learn using Cygwin.
>>
>> If you're interested in learning about linux/unix, then your best bet is to
>> do a to do a google.com search. Since Cygwin is intended for people who
>> are already familiar with UNIX, there is no effort made on UNIX tutorials
>> for Cygwin.
>
>Christopher, clearly you and your friends know best your reasons
>to develop and use the cygwin environment, but why not learn about
>other unintended positive side effects of cygwin ?

Primarily because I have no interest in making this mailing list a "UNIX
tutorial" mailing list.  The newbie level here is already quite high and
I really don't want to lower the bar still further.

I'm also not interested in setting up some other forum for dealing with
this.  You're welcome to do this yourself, of course.

I understand that you want to use it that way and that you want people
to teach you.  I don't see any reason to duplicate the intent of other
forums for this purpose.

>Back to what caused me to write this email: I am surprised that you havnt
>realized (or dont mind) the fact that cygwin has a great potential to be
>the trojan horse of unix & gnu inside the windows world.

Of course, I realize that this is a possibility.  Whether I want to, or have
the resources to, support extreme beginners is the question.

>When cygwin additionally would come with easy to use and powerfull standard
>applications (mail reader, personal mail server & firewall, editor, filemanager;
>easy means controllable through consistent menu's shortcuts, help menue -> open doc
>in browser, ..), it would be only a small step to use the same applications
>under unix/linux and to forget the windows workstation.

Cygwin does come with a mailreader and an editor.  I'm not interested in
developing gee whiz pointy clicky applications for it, however.  There are
plenty of those kind of applications available for linux.  There is no need
to invent more.

I've tried to show you where you could get help which is already available
on the internet.  You can use it or not.

Frankly, it seems to me that if you spent as much time trying to learn how
to use what you've got as you've put into trying to justify why we should
all support complete novices, you would no longer be a complete novice and
the question would be moot.

I don't plan on contributing to this thread any further.  I think I have
made my point as clear as I can make it.

cgf

* Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info
@ 2001-02-13 12:07         ` Markus Mauhart
From: Markus Mauhart @ 2001-02-13 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>Michael Kelley wrote:
> >
> >I have a basic understanding of C and come from the Mainframe & Windows
> >environments. I'm not ready to jump straight into Linux/Unix so I see a
> >great chance to learn using Cygwin.
>
> If you're interested in learning about linux/unix, then your best bet is to
> do a to do a google.com search. Since Cygwin is intended for people who
> are already familiar with UNIX, there is no effort made on UNIX tutorials
> for Cygwin.

Christopher, clearly you and your friends know best your reasons
to develop and use the cygwin environment, but why not learn about
other unintended positive side effects of cygwin ?

IMHO cygwin in its current state is the best way for NT programmers
to get used to many 'unix' tools WHILE STILL BEEING PRODUCTIVE.
Whithout cygwin, i could setup a linux machine (did this in 1999)
and play with it for 1 year, but without beeing productive:

Because without beeing an expert who knows what is available, how to
get it, how to configure it and who knows each tool's keyboard commands ..

[...]

as you know. But for someone coming from the windows environment the 1st step to

@ 2001-02-12 10:52 Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2001-02-12 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

When I read Chris' message saying he couldn't reach one of these sites, I
tried them both, had no trouble with either and could see no difference
between them.

To me it appears www.ora.com and www.oreilly.com are aliases (using
Windows' 2K Pro's nslookup from BASH):

---====-----====-----====-----====-----====-----====-----====-----====-----====-----====--

1017> nslookup www.ora.com; nslookup www.oreilly.com
Server:  ...
Address:  ...

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.ora.com
Address:  204.148.40.5

Server:  ...
Address:  ...

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.oreilly.com
Address:  204.148.40.5

---====-----====-----====-----====-----====-----====-----====-----====-----====-----====--

Randall Schulz
Teknowledge Corp.
Palo Alto, CA USA

* Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info
@ 2001-02-12 10:11               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-12 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 01:06:48PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:

>> >Shouldn't it be www.ora.com?
>>
>> Maybe.  I actually did a google search to see where O'Reilly books were mentioned
>> and www.oreilly.com is at the top of the list.  FWIW, www.ora.com seems to be
>> down now, too.
>
>Hmm...  I tried it before sending the post and it worked for me.

Hmm.  Interesting.  I'm running the newest linux kernel with ECN turned
on and it doesn't allow me to access www.ora.com.  Looks like somebody's
got something busted somewhere long the line.

cgf

* Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info
@ 2001-02-12 10:06             ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-12 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> As I said, Cygwin is not intended to be a beginners entry into the wonderful
> >> world of UNIX.  If you are interested in learning about aspects of UNIX,
> >> check out www.oreilly.com (the site appears to be down now, unfortunately)
> >> for a number of books about UNIX.
> >>

> >Shouldn't it be www.ora.com?
>
> Maybe.  I actually did a google search to see where O'Reilly books were mentioned
> and www.oreilly.com is at the top of the list.  FWIW, www.ora.com seems to be
> down now, too.

Hmm...  I tried it before sending the post and it worked for me.

Earnie.

* Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info
@ 2001-02-12  8:39           ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2001-02-12  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Shouldn't it be www.ora.com?

O'Reilly officially changed over from ora.com to oreilly.com at least a
year ago.  I've tried it now and then since then -- sometimes it works,
sometimes it doesn't.  It's obviously just a redirector to oreilly.com,
judging from how quickly it responds.

I always preferred ora.com, for nostalgic reasons, but these days I get
there through hyperlinks from some other page 99% of the time, so it
doesn't matter one way or the other.
--                                                   _
= 'Net Address: http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent | / \  ASCII Ribbon
= ICBM Address: 36.82740N, 108.02040W, alt. 1714m | \ /  Campaign
=                                                 |  X   Against
= Chance favors the prepared mind.                | / \  HTML Mail

* Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info
@ 2001-02-12  8:11           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-12  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-02-12  5:10         ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-12  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: mkelley

@ 2001-02-11 14:03       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-11 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: mkelley

@ 2001-02-11 13:01     ` Michael Kelley
From: Michael Kelley @ 2001-02-11 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The main reason for this mailing on this list is not only am I new to
CyGwin but also I am am completely unfamiliar with  Cygwin's originating
platform (which I have been led to believe is Linux). I hoped that You
who know could send me to places that were more relavent to Cygwin than
to Linux.
I appologize for the unclarity of my request.
But I'm still in the same boat.

I want to learn to use Cygwin to it's fullest.

Where can I get the "How To's" and "What Are's" of Cygwin??

I have a basic understanding of C and come from the Mainframe & Windows
environments. I'm not ready to jump straight into Linux/Unix so I see a
great chance to learn using Cygwin.

Where should someone who doesn't understand the difference between gcc
and g++ go to learn what they've got?
Where should I have gone to find out about using the & when issuing a
bash command?
Basics & beginnings .......

How's about a Newbies mailing list? Where those of us who have NO CLUE
can go to learn.

I'm here I'm staying I'm learning .... Hopefully someday I'll even be
able to help port a few things to cygwin

Thanks for your time
Thanks for your product

Mike

@ 2001-02-11 11:50   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-11 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-02-11  4:10 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-02-11  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kelley, cygwin

<Am 2001-02-06 8:55 wars, als Michael Kelley schrieb:>
< Newbie request for Info: >

Hi Michael,

little bit of OT on this cygwin-list,

> Hey All!!,
>
> Can you point me to "Linux/Unix for beginners" info on the net?
>
> Thanks In Advance for your help.

that's the reason, why there has been no reply 'til now,
hiowever I do...

Little Unix-command reference at O'Reilly's website:
http://www.ora.de/catalog/unixcd/chapter/index.html

Another Reference at opengroup (Single Unix Specification)
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcuix.html
Search-engine for this:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/

Unix Refcard:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/4466/unix.htm
Refcards for some software:
http://www.refcards.com/

Another collection:
http://www.elsop.com/wrc/unix_ref.htm

Unixhelp for users:
http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/

The Unix Reference Desk (Geek-Girl, best of all:)
http://www.geek-girl.com/unix.html

GNU Documentation from Delorie:
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/

Beginners guide to Linux: