* 1.1.8 bug with TCSH 6.10 ( using shell built-in commands )
@ 2001-02-13 18:24 Mad Dave
From: Mad Dave @ 2001-02-13 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: dave

I am having a problem when I source a shell script which sources another
shell script which contains a foreach loop which contains a big switch
statement.  I think this effects other tcsh versions as well ( such as
6.08 ).

I have attached 2 files which should reproduce the problem.  Type: source
file1.tcsh to reproduce it.  All the first file does is source the second
file, and it causes a problem, but if you source the second file directly it
works fine.  Also if you remove any of the echo statements from the second
file it will work fine, which tends to surgest its the size of the foreach +
switch statement.

If I run with the tcsh -x option it produces the following output.

> source file1.tcsh
source file1.tcsh
source file2.tcsh
set vqaargs = ( 8_0 9_0 10_0 )
foreach vqaarg ( 8_0 9_0 10_0 )
switch ( 8_0 )
echo 8
8
breaksw
end
Too many )'s.

I have reproduced this on two NT4 SP6a machines and two Win2k ( one with
SP1 ) machines.

[-- Attachment #2: file1.tcsh --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 18 bytes --]

source file2.tcsh

[-- Attachment #3: file2.tcsh --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3897 bytes --]

set vqaargs = ( "8_0" "9_0" "10_0" )

foreach vqaarg ( ${vqaargs} )
  switch ( "${vqaarg}" )
    case "help":
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
      echo "ook"
    breaksw
    case "8_0":
      echo "8"
    breaksw
    default:
  endsw
end
echo "exited ok"

* Re: 1.1.8 bug with TCSH 6.10 ( using shell built-in commands )
@ 2001-02-14  6:43 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-14  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mad Dave; +Cc: cygwin

Mad Dave wrote:

> I am having a problem when I source a shell script which sources another
> shell script which contains a foreach loop which contains a big switch
> statement.  I think this effects other tcsh versions as well ( such as
> 6.08 ).

Grasping for straws, what is you SHELL environment variable set to?

Earnie.

* Re: 1.1.8 bug with TCSH 6.10 ( using shell built-in commands )
@ 2001-02-14  9:45 David Beales
From: David Beales @ 2001-02-14  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-14  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)