* Re: Reading tapes from solaris on NT using dd.exe
@ 2001-02-15  4:54 Johannes Tyve
From: Johannes Tyve @ 2001-02-15  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

> > I'm trying to read some tapes on my NT workstation using cygwin dd.exe. I recieve the error > "Permission denied".
>
> You haven't installed the tape mount point.
> http://cygwin.com/docs.html

I'm not sure what you ask me to do. I accessing the mountpoint /dev/st0
and it's connected to //./tape0 is there someting else I need to do?
It's is possible to read and write tapes as described below.

> > It is possible to take a blank tape and write/read to it using tar och dd but if I try to
> > use a tape that is written on a Solaris workstation. I use the same tape device on both
> > workstations (EXB8500 with hardware compression). The tape is written to /dev/rmt/0mbn (medium
> > capacity) on the Solaris workstation. Maybe I need to configure cygwin to use medium capacity,
> > but how do I do that?
>
> Use Cygwin's mt.

The mt command doesn't accept "mt setdesity" or "mt drvbuffer". The
error is "function not implemented". Medium capacity is according to the
manual = 5Gb, uncompressed. And is found as a density using "mt
densities". Is there some other way to use mt?

Regards,
Johannes

* Re: Reading tapes from solaris on NT using dd.exe
@ 2001-02-15  7:53 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-02-15  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 01:48:30PM +0100, Johannes Tyve wrote:
> > > I'm trying to read some tapes on my NT workstation using cygwin dd.exe. I recieve the error > "Permission denied".
> > [...]
> The mt command doesn't accept "mt setdesity" or "mt drvbuffer". The
> error is "function not implemented". Medium capacity is according to the
> manual = 5Gb, uncompressed. And is found as a density using "mt
> densities". Is there some other way to use mt?

try `mt status 2'. You will get an output containing the current
blocksize set by NT. It's likely set to 512 bytes which is unlikely
the blocksize used by Solaris. Set the blocksize either to the
value of the Solaris tape driver or set it to 0 which enables
variable blocksize tape I/O iff the NT tape driver for your drive
supports it. `mt status 3' gives loads of output describing the
supported features of the tape driver.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Reading tapes from solaris on NT using dd.exe
@ 2001-02-14  5:47 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-02-14  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-02-14  5:20 Johannes Tyve